SVTP Looks Inside the 2011+ Mustang GT Transmissions

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
SVTP Looks Inside the 2011+ Mustang GT Transmissions

trans-04-edit.jpg

From the moment the MT-82 transmission first hit the streets in the 2011 Mustang GT and V6 it has been
a popular topic of discussion here on SVTP. Unfortunately, most of those discussions seem to have a negative
slant to them. To be sure, the new Chinese made Getrag 6-speed isn’t perfect. My personal experience with
it in the 2012 SVTPerformance Mustang GT has been somewhat lackluster. On one hand, I like the short
throws and close ratios. However, I often find myself frustrated with the feel of the gear changes and the clutch
action.

I can best describe the impression of the gear changes in the MT-82 as both vague and “crunchy.” Crunchy is
merely the word I use to describe the sensation felt through the shifter during the process of the gear change.
I have seen others describe the same feeling as gritty and clunky. To me it feels at times like moving the shift
lever through a bucket of gravels. It doesn’t give you a really happy feeling about what may be going on inside
your new Mustang’s tranny.

That leads me to the clutch action. It’s as unpredictable as an angry woman. I have never experienced a clutch
that would seem to engage and disengage quickly at one time while taking its sweet-ass time others. It’s just
weird and it makes it difficult to drive the car smoothly all the time. Also, I don’t know if it’s just me but it seems
that the pedal position for full engagement/disengagement of the clutch moves around a little. Maybe I just need
more seat time in the car, but with about 650 miles under my belt I think I have a decent feel for her.

Nonetheless, we will be undertaking a nice round of transmission mods on the SVTP GT in the near future with the
intent of improving the enjoyment factor of living with the MT-82 everyday. In the mean time however, I thought it
would be beneficial to everyone to share these pictures that were taken at the 2010 North American International
Auto Show in Detroit. The pics are of the cutaway models of the MT-82 and 6R80 transmissions found in the 2011
and up Mustang. Take a few minutes to check out the inner workings of the Mustang’s new gearboxes.

The MT-82 Manual Transmission
Pay close attention to the labels for a little irony.

trans-07-edit.jpg

trans-08-edit.jpg

trans-09-edit.jpg

trans-14-edit.jpg

trans-15-edit.jpg

trans-16-edit.jpg

trans-18-edit.jpg

trans-19-edit.jpg

trans-01-edit.jpg

trans-02-edit.jpg

trans-03-edit.jpg

The 6R80 Automatic Transmission

trans-20-edit.jpg

trans-17-edit.jpg

trans-05-edit.jpg

trans-06-edit.jpg

trans-10-edit.jpg

trans-11-edit.jpg

trans-12-edit.jpg

trans-13-edit.jpg

-Cheers-:beer:

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
unlike most, i really believe the MT-82 has the potential to be the best trans every put into a 'stang once they work the kinks out(seriously, 10s @ full weight with only a clutch change? no tremec GT trans is doing that for long), but the "optimum cold shifting" thing is absolutely hilarious!

Fenixfire

Slower than ever
Established Member
This is why I would take the auto over the manual in a new 5.0.........One guy has already gone 9s in the stock auto. Seems to be better built and can handle a good amount of power.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
That auto looks like crazy, but then again I've never really looked to see what the inside of an auto trans looks like.

20zx6r07

Established Member
In the 3rd pic of the auto you can read made in USA cast into the case. Whether or not thats the internals too, who knows?

ponyboyisaac

Now Kaioken...times 10!!
Established Member
unlike most, i really believe the MT-82 has the potential to be the best trans every put into a 'stang once they work the kinks out(seriously, 10s @ full weight with only a clutch change? no tremec GT trans is doing that for long), but the "optimum cold shifting" thing is absolutely hilarious!

I agree. And its not like this is the first mustang gt with a manual trans with issues. How about the t3650 that plagued the mustang from 2001 1/2 to 2010? That tranny had its issues and its not chinese.
I think that ford did a great job giving the mustang gt a TRUE 6 speed (not double overdrive) and its just a matter of getrag and ford getting the bugs out now.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
I had a TSB done on my MT-82 for a new dual clutch fluid to help with cold shift issues, but I have to say it makes a huge difference in all around shifting. I love the MT-82, I have driven a couple of T-56 cars, and I have to personally say the MT-82 shifts faster and nicer than any T-56. But if any of you are having a hard time shifting try that new fluid it makes a world of difference.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread