Supreme Court to rule on gun ownership.

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
...Your telling my you need a handgun for hunting and I'm saying that's BS.

And your position is incorrect, sir. I use my Contender single shot pistols for hunting. And my .44 Magnum revolver as well. I think it's more sporting to get up close to the target, as opposed to hitting it from 300+ yards out.

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
Hunting is the only reason anyone should own a gun. And you don't go hunting with handguns.

You are incorrect, sir. I use my Contender single shot pistols and my .44 Magnum revolver for hunting. Many hunters feel it is more sporting to get up close rather than hitting the target from 300+ yards.

vertcobra99

dacube
Established Member
I saw this thread directly after posting here and decided not to post in it.

What about the guy in Texas this past weekend who saw people breaking into a house next door to him? He's on the phone with 911 saying "I have a gun and I"m going to shoot them" and the operator is saying "No, stay in your house". On the recording you hear "I'm going to get them" - and then gun shots. Guess what - He's not shot two people. He'll be going to jail and on top of that he'll be sued by the people shot. He wasn't in any danger and wasn't threatened in any way. I'll bet my next paycheck vs yours that he'll be sued for it.

Your telling my you need a handgun for hunting and I'm saying that's BS.

Actually the man from texas isn't facing any charges whatsoever. Texas is the only state in the US where you can use lethal force to protect property. This Texas man was actually congratulated by the police and his community. The only thing that he might happen is that he could be sued in a civil court but I'm sure with the texas jury he will get.... he will be fine

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
what's scary to me about the fact that this is made it to the supreme court is that it could just lead the way for more governmental control

and i for one feel that there is too much governmental control already, such as the chip in the cpu of my car, for example.

i work with an older lady from romania and she is a staunch republican because she what she sees in america from some political groups right now is similar to what the communist government did in her country. slow whittling away of individual rights and an increase of the government's hand in things such as what doctor you go to.

matstang

Choking YO MOMMA
Established Member
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/law/11/20/scotus.handguns/index.html

From the article:

The U.S. Supreme Court agreed Tuesday to decide whether the District of Columbia's sweeping ban on handgun ownership violates the Constitution's fundamental right to "keep and bear arms."

Also:

At issue is one that has polarized judges and politicians for decades: Do the Second Amendment's 27 words bestow gun ownership as an individual right, or do they bestow a collective one -- aimed at the civic responsibilities of state militias -- making it therefore subject to strict government regulation.

Could be interesting, but with a conservative SCotUS, I have no worries.

Thoughts?

I don't care what they pass! I AM NEVER GIVING UP MY WEAPON'S

bugmenot

Established Member
what's scary to me about the fact that this is made it to the supreme court is that it could just lead the way for more governmental control

and i for one feel that there is too much governmental control already, such as the chip in the cpu of my car, for example.

i work with an older lady from romania and she is a staunch republican because she what she sees in america from some political groups right now is similar to what the communist government did in her country. slow whittling away of individual rights and an increase of the government's hand in things such as what doctor you go to.

I disagree that it is scary it made it to the Supreme Court. It is scary these laws got passed at all, but any pro-gun person wants this case to be heard by the supreme court. Right now the antis use the clause about the militia as their main point as to NOT have guns. The supreme court is hopefully going to decide if it is an individual right, or a collective right.

If the court overturns the original case, which went in gun owners favors, then everything will go back to how it is now. I do not see how we can really loose form loosing this. Also, I do not think the court will overturn the ruling, though it is a possibility, and I am not too hopeful, we have a very good chance. 4 of the judges are going to vote for keeping the ruling, that means we only need to sway one more. This will be the most important case they have heard in a long long time.

grimreefer

Anthrax Resistant
Established Member
I was going to type up a lengthy response but then figured it would fall on deaf ears and wouldn't really do any good. I'll just say that you seem to live a life ruled by fear Rochard.

A Human Right

nathanralph

Established Member
I own 2 assault rifles.

4 shotguns.

2 high powered rifles.

3 handguns.

I've hunted, and shot at targets and enjoyed a lot of time with my guns.

Have I killed anyone? No.

Handguns only purpose are to kill?

What about target practice...just something I enjoy?

The stupid "handguns kill" argument gets *very* old.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Rochard, I can't believe you were a Marine and actually said you probably wouldn't use a gun to defend yourself or coworkers in a harmful situation.

I've had guns and knives pulled on me before and every time I wished I would have had more protection. Luckily by the grace of God it didn't escalate but it showed me that there are more crazy people out there than you think and their unpredictability could cost you your life if you are not prepared. In intense situations you judgement isn't clouded you are very focused simply cause your life depends on it.

To say that you judgement is off if you are waken up in the middle of the night by an intruder is foolish, just read all the stories above where people defended themselves in the middle of the night. Most criminals will probably run at the sight or sound of a gun going off but in some cases you may have to use it. Criminals thrive off of unarmed people, they see them as helpless and easy targets.

I don't know if my friend had a gun in her house or not (my guess is not) but as the man was kicking in their door her husband ran out to see what was going on and look what happened to him and his wife. They were executed by a crazed and convicted murderer that had a gun he wasn't supposed to have.

I'm ashamed that I don't have a gun yet. As soon as I have the money I'm going to go buy one, probably a 12 gauge and a pistol.

bullitt890

Established Member
this is not just a "liberal thing". both political parties are busy trying to find ways to take our rights. the s*** bags in charge now that call themselves "conservatives" have done an excellent job at continuing what the previous leaders did, TAKE OUR FREEDOM, and i have yet to see evidence that shows we are safer from the actions they have taken.
no one will take my guns. i dont care what they put on paper. it is a fundamental, basic right we as americans have. this single freedom protects all of our other freedoms. things just haven't gotten bad enough yet where the people have felt the need to stand up and force change. its coming though.
i def. see where ROCHARD is coming from. it makes me nervous to see the people i work around and imagine them with weapons. but i'm carrying regardless. i'll take my chances.

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
Dougwg, where can I find some reports for myself? That stuff is awesome! Also, since all of you guys know a lot about guns, where can I find a credable (official) source for gun laws? Thanks!

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
Thanks, thats one thing I was deffintly interested in. Post a bunch of sites for me if you have them guys.

Rochard

Established Member
Rochard, I can't believe you were a Marine and actually said you probably wouldn't use a gun to defend yourself or coworkers in a harmful situation.

I've had guns and knives pulled on me before and every time I wished I would have had more protection. Luckily by the grace of God it didn't escalate but it showed me that there are more crazy people out there than you think and their unpredictability could cost you your life if you are not prepared. In intense situations you judgement isn't clouded you are very focused simply cause your life depends on it.

To say that you judgement is off if you are waken up in the middle of the night by an intruder is foolish, just read all the stories above where people defended themselves in the middle of the night. Most criminals will probably run at the sight or sound of a gun going off but in some cases you may have to use it. Criminals thrive off of unarmed people, they see them as helpless and easy targets.

I don't know if my friend had a gun in her house or not (my guess is not) but as the man was kicking in their door her husband ran out to see what was going on and look what happened to him and his wife. They were executed by a crazed and convicted murderer that had a gun he wasn't supposed to have.

I'm ashamed that I don't have a gun yet. As soon as I have the money I'm going to go buy one, probably a 12 gauge and a pistol.

I think you (and everyone else) misread me. I have no problems with me having a gun in my house, or my ability to use it. I would have no problems shooting someone dead if I felt my life was in danger.

What worries me is the guy who lived above me in an apartment with his shotgun that one night. Or the guy across the street who just beat the crap out of his wife - what if he had a gun?

I don't fear an intruder invading my house at 3am. I fear the guy across the street who had legally purchased a gun. I fear him getting pissed in the middle of the night and going on a rampage.

03DOHC

Established Member
I think you (and everyone else) misread me. I have no problems with me having a gun in my house, or my ability to use it. I would have no problems shooting someone dead if I felt my life was in danger.

What worries me is the guy who lived above me in an apartment with his shotgun that one night. Or the guy across the street who just beat the crap out of his wife - what if he had a gun?

I don't fear an intruder invading my house at 3am. I fear the guy across the street who had legally purchased a gun. I fear him getting pissed in the middle of the night and going on a rampage.

Guess what? That's just too damn bad. Freedom doesn't just mean freedom for you. And it does come with a price. Being free doesn't mean free from risk and that includes the good and the bad. No one said you had to like freedom but that's not my problem.

I fear people like you who think nothing of denying me my rights so you can feel better. Another useful idiot who thinks he knows best.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
I see what you're saying but really we can't live in a bubble our whole lives. There are dangerous people out there and all we can do is defend ourselves from them. If they want to kill they will kill by whatever means necessary. But there really isn't anything more effective than a gun to stop that kind of threat, a tazer is not effective enough.

All I can say is deal with it, it's the world we live in and the best region of the world at that. You could move to England where they have no guns, but I think you would find that crime is still rampant.

Users who are viewing this thread