Supercharger MPG decrease?

Flyinrazrback

Established Member
Quick question for you guys, I just got my magnuson installed and tuned by AED. Runs hard! My question is, before adding the supercharger on the highway at 65mph and 2000 rpms (3.73 gears) I was getting about 22-23mpg cruising. Now, with the supercharger installed cruising down the highway I am only seeing 15mpg at 65mph/2000rpms. Is this normal drop off for a forced induction setup? I am hoping that the fuel flow calibration is just jacked up and I am still getting decent mileage on the highway.

Torchy

Established Member
I experienced the same thing on a customer of mine's car.

Vert

Established Member
I know they have to tune a FI with more fuel so you will see a decrease, but my mpg increased by 1.8 mpg after a few days of driving.

Tron84

Damn Newb
Established Member
Seems like a pretty drastic drop.
I still get around 26mpg highway cruising making about 700hp

JerryC

Established Member
I didn't lose any mpg after my Roush was installed. I had Justin tune mine to drive like stock, stock shift points and stock throttle sensitivity.
Later when I got another tune that is more like a normal performance tune and it did drop about 2 mpg in city driving. Going by the built in mpg meter I don't see any change in hwy mpg from stock.

Vert

Established Member
I get 16.2 city and if I grandpa it on the highway i can get up to 24.

Flyinrazrback

Established Member
I will check the AFRs tomorrow during cruise. The only thing I can think of is either the fuel computer is off or the fact that the magnuson has a bypass valve on it where it shuts off at low throttle settings and the engine is just turning it with more drag. Not for sure on that as I am not sure exactly how the bypass valve works on it.

mhyjek

Established Member
Blower type, tune, gear ratio, transmission have and of course how it's driven will dictate mpg. I have Paxton setup Lund tuned had mt 82 with 3.31 now tremec 2.66 gearset with 4.10 gears. Before with mt82 car would average 16 city 21 highway then I got the tremec and a new tune cal for better drive ability now the car gets 18.5 city and 26 highway. Calculated by hand the computer states About 1 higher on average in my setup. AED/Shaun is an awesome tuner I would datalog and see what he says maybe vacuum leak or strategy error. He will get it straightened out.

numbnutz

Established Member
My Paxton AED tuned gets 12-13 city according to the computer. What gets me is when I fill up it only shows 191 miles to the tank. Does that seem right?

Scott8583

Addicted to Corn!
Established Member
Not sure what mine was before, but sat I had the cruise set at 74 and was getting 23 mph on the highway w/ 3.55 gears

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
This whole thread is meaningless if the numbers are not hand calculated.

Come on.

Users who are viewing this thread