Summer hot days and driving

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
Here in SE Texas we have had 100+ degree days for several weeks, and it will probably last until the end of August. The days are sunny and no rain, EVER. I won’t typically drive my cars in the heat like this and basically just park them, much like the northern guys do for winter. None of the cars overheat or have mechanical issues at all, it’s just a weird hang up I have about driving my cars in sweltering heat. I will only drive my work vehicle everywhere and leave all my stuff under covers in the garage. Does anyone else do the same?

MG0h3

Established Member
Here in SE Texas we have had 100+ degree days for several weeks, and it will probably last until the end of August. The days are sunny and no rain, EVER. I won’t typically drive my cars in the heat like this and basically just park them, much like the northern guys do for winter. None of the cars overheat or have mechanical issues at all, it’s just a weird hang up I have about driving my cars in sweltering heat. I will only drive my work vehicle everywhere and leave all my stuff under covers in the garage. Does anyone else do the same?

Yep. If I have to have the ac on, I don’t bother.

I think I have it a little better being up at 3800’ elevation though. Cools off to manageable temps in the evening for all but a couple months.

The battery isn’t even my car right now because I know it’s not moving.

I’ll take my CJ5 out at night sometimes since it only has a bikini top.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

LS WUT

Established Member
I have to admit I’d love to have that luxury. However my cars are my work vehicles since I drive them for work. I wish I had a work vehicle dedicated for such. However I don’t tend to beat on them in the heat. I cruise, and use cruise control mostly for work.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I barely take mine out in the dead of FL summer. When you're still sweating balls with the AC on max and windows down, it's too hot. I have zero interest in meets or shows this time of year so I might take it out at night here and there just because but that's about it

SHOdown220

Established Member
Are you worried about the heat messing something up or AC doesn’t work well? I guess I don’t get it, I still ride my air cooled motorcycle in 100 degree weather with no concerns about it other than myself staying hydrated.

MG0h3

Established Member
Are you worried about the heat messing something up or AC doesn’t work well? I guess I don’t get it, I still ride my air cooled motorcycle in 100 degree weather with no concerns about it other than myself staying hydrated.

Nothing to do with anything mechanical or performance.

It’s just miserable. If you park somewhere for 10min it’s 130* inside and takes 15min to get all the accumulated heat out of the interior.

Just ran to Target for a baby shower gift. 10min drive home and the interior never cooled off. Back was sweaty when I got home.

I actually postpone errands until the evening even when driving my DD.

Not sure what part of the country you’re in but summertime heat down here isn’t comparable to the same temps up north.

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
No, ac works fine. It’s more of what @MG0h3 said. I’ll add that I can’t help but feel it’s hurting the car, somehow. I know NOT for a car is @220-250, or thereabouts, which is 100+ degrees warmer than the ambient (on most days), but the thought of idling and the car ingesting all that hot air, and the heat under the hood makes me cringe.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
My car with the big ass A2A does run warm in constant traffic with the ac on blast when its 90+. So I usually don’t take it out around town.

SHOdown220

Established Member
Nothing to do with anything mechanical or performance.

It’s just miserable. If you park somewhere for 10min it’s 130* inside and takes 15min to get all the accumulated heat out of the interior.

Just ran to Target for a baby shower gift. 10min drive home and the interior never cooled off. Back was sweaty when I got home.

I actually postpone errands until the evening even when driving my DD.

Not sure what part of the country you’re in but summertime heat down here isn’t comparable to the same temps up north.

Oh I get that, I don’t go out in the middle of the day on my day off if I can help it. Would prefer to do all my running first thing in the morning. Central NC here so not as bad as some places but we have had pretty consistent mid 90s high humidity the last several weeks.
No, ac works fine. It’s more of what @MG0h3 said. I’ll add that I can’t help but feel it’s hurting the car, somehow. I know NOT for a car is @220-250, or thereabouts, which is 100+ degrees warmer than the ambient (on most days), but the thought of idling and the car ingesting all that hot air, and the heat under the hood makes me cringe.

If it makes you feel any better, every day at work I idle my car in the parking lot for a solid hour with the a/c running. Have been for years no issues. That being said it’s my completely stock DD, not a modified expensive car I would really be concerned with messing up.

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
If it makes you feel any better, every day at work I idle my car in the parking lot for a solid hour with the a/c running. Have been for years no issues. That being said it’s my completely stock DD, not a modified expensive car I would really be concerned with messing up.
My work vehicle idles or is driven solidly for sometimes 8 hours without turning it off. I’ve done that for many years, and rarely have had one overheat. I’m always amazed how cars don’t overheat to be honest.
I’m not too concerned with work vehicles, but mine that I care for do not go out in harsh elements. I wasn’t sure how many people had the same thinking as me

robvas

Established Member
Brutal driving a black on black vert in the 90-degree heat and sun

VegasMichael

Established Member
One of the reasons I sold my Shelby when I lived in Vegas. 100+ degrees six months a year. We were still in the 80s last December. F that noise. 70s all day today where I live now. Glad I moved. Going down to 50s at night in a few days.

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
At work I get sweaty and the last thing I want is the car smelling like fat man sweaty ass. Lately the car only comes out on weekends.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
I do. Aint been out in over a month.

Sent from my SM-G975U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member

Users who are viewing this thread