Sturgis Mustang Rally

Janstang

Established Member
Rumors I've heard are that preregistration numbers are higher than last year, and(correct me if I'm wrong)I think last year had 650-700 cars. I just hope like hell it isn't 100deg. the whole time.

1wild-horse

Purveyor of missed information
Established Member
Would think you could find something in rapid. Its a 30 mile drive to sturgis one way but I dont mind cruising out there so it wouldnt bother me. Spearfish I believe would be the same drive everyday but you end up farther west.

Janstang

Established Member
There's a Best Western, Days Inn, Holiday Inn Express, Super 8, and some little po-dunk motels in Sturgis. The majority of the decent hotel/motels are in Rapid City. If you need assistance phone numbers etc.. just PM me.

ravenknight

Never enough
Established Member
sam try Deadwood before you go rapids or spearfish, its only 15 minutes south of stugis and it was a cool drive each day
this is in deadwood
sturgis2011024.jpg

I believe this was almost to sturgis from deadwood, not sure but looks like this
sturgis2011023.jpg

Black Sex

Established Member
If you are thinking of going you should get on the phone and try to find a room. I booked my room back in March.
It sucks you can't go with us thisyear Paul. Maybe next year.
Sally, if you find a room and want to go, we are leaving North Sioux City the 30th @ 6:15 am if you want to cruise up with us. Our group stays at the Holiday Inn express. Even if you can't stay there you can come for their good breakfast, right Paul?

Last edited:

Janstang

Established Member
sam try Deadwood before you go rapids or spearfish, its only 15 minutes south of stugis and it was a cool drive each day
this is in deadwood
sturgis2011024.jpg

I believe this was almost to sturgis from deadwood, not sure but looks like this
sturgis2011023.jpg
That second pic is just before you roll into Deadwood. The cutaway up on the hill is actually the road that comes in from the interstate.

ravenknight

Never enough
Established Member
I couldnt remember if it was coming or going but knew I was close, lol. We covered so much area.
Nick I am definitly going next year:rockon:

Oh and yes good free breakfast

Last edited:

1wild-horse

Purveyor of missed information
Established Member
God I love it out there. Need to find a job and move. I'm guessing Deadwood is full by now and if I remember right, kinda spendy.

I see someone traded...

Last edited:

HPRacing

SVTP Lurker
Established Member
I'll be there. Got some family from ND and CO to travel out with thier Mustangs too this year. Hopefully my car is ready for the race, trans issue, tune is whacked out.

Janstang's car puts on a good show at the track!

As for lodging there is a lot of options out here, there is unconventional stuff in the Hills to consider like Bed and Breakfasts, rental cabins, camping. Hill City and Keystone could also be options in a pinch, they are a bit further away but the drive is nice. Military affiliated folks could check Billeting at Ellsworth AFB also.

92BlkGT

Established Member
From some of the guys that have been before, what do you recommend taking on the trip? Tools, jack, cleaning supplies, etc.

I'm making a list and don't want to overlook something. The drive is right around 9 hrs for me so I'll probably be packing a little extra so we don't have any problems along the way. Thanks guys!

kbroush

Established Member
From some of the guys that have been before, what do you recommend taking on the trip? Tools, jack, cleaning supplies, etc.

I'm making a list and don't want to overlook something. The drive is right around 9 hrs for me so I'll probably be packing a little extra so we don't have any problems along the way. Thanks guys!

Its a good idea to bring tools and a jack. A few years ago my car broke down and luckily I had tools to fix it. Two years ago my exhaust bottomed out and the tools came in handy again. I started pulling my car last year and that helps a lot. I miss out on the fun of driving it out there and back but now my friend can throw his drag radials in the back of my truck and we have plenty of room for tools, jacks and air tank. On the same note its almost better to travel lightly and just enjoy the trip. If you don't plan on drag racing or doing anything crazy with your car you will more than likely be ok with just a simple set of tools or even less.

Black Sex

Established Member

I usually bring some basic hand tools (the typical ones it takes to usually work on my car like socket sets, some screw drivers, hammer, pliers, wrenches), my small floor jack, air tank, tire plugs.

The past two years it has been down in the 40's durring night/early morning hours so you might want a jacket or sweatshirt and maybe a pair of long pants. Bring a hat unless you have lots of hair. Chapstick or your lips will be hurting from the sun/wind durring the car show.

Its a good idea to bring tools and a jack. A few years ago my car broke down and luckily I had tools to fix it. Two years ago my exhaust bottomed out and the tools came in handy again. I started pulling my car last year and that helps a lot. I miss out on the fun of driving it out there and back but now my friend can throw his drag radials in the back of my truck and we have plenty of room for tools, jacks and air tank. On the same note its almost better to travel lightly and just enjoy the trip. If you don't plan on drag racing or doing anything crazy with your car you will more than likely be ok with just a simple set of tools or even less.

You know I was thinking, if you guys don't leave SF mall till 8, and by the time you get out of SF it will be 8:15, that only puts you roughly an hour or hour and a half ahead of me and usually it take's close to an hour to eat at Al's. If I drive 10mph faster than you, Im thinking I have a better chance of catching you, if we don't meet the popo of course

04RedfireVert

Is it Friday yet?
Established Member
Us convertible owners have to make sacrifices and pack as light as possible due to obvious reasons. LOL

Black Sex

Established Member
Us convertible owners have to make sacrifices and pack as light as possible due to obvious reasons. LOL

Lastyear I had my '04 packed to the max with all the crap I brought. As you can see I obviously will be in a different class this year. I hope it's not the class that lines up at 6am :dw:. Im sure we will see you out there again.

04RedfireVert

Is it Friday yet?
Established Member
I don't know what's worse, getting an early line up time or getting one so late that they're judging your car 3 minutes after you get parked. I'll be looking for your new ride!

Black Sex

Established Member
I don't know what's worse, getting an early line up time or getting one so late that they're judging your car 3 minutes after you get parked. I'll be looking for your new ride!

Valid point. On the second hand, you could leave and go do something the rest of the day instead of spending 8hrs there.

Thanks for the advice guys, looking forward to this and meeting some of you hopefully!

Likewise. What day and which route you heading up?

Users who are viewing this thread