Sturgis Mustang Rally

Janstang

Established Member
For those that don't know, this will be going on Aug. 29th-Sept. 2nd. Their website is Welcome to Sturgis Mustang Rally, if you need specifics on anything. The main reason I am posting this is for anyone interested in the drag racing portion of the rally. If you want to drag race and would prefer to run on slicks we are going to run a "Pro" class for guys with slicks, and everyone else will run in the "street" class on DOT tires. In the past it has been difficult to get a good field of cars with slicks to run our own class, so I'm trying to get the word out there. Any questions on this or anything related to the Mustang Rally feel free to post them up or PM me and I'll help in any way.:beer:

1wild-horse

Purveyor of missed information
Established Member
definately a good time. will be back for sure, just not this year.

92BlkGT

Established Member
For the drag racing portion, how strict are cages enforced? My car has never been down the track so I'm not sure what to expect. Thanks

Janstang

Established Member
What do you think it'll run here(1/8th mile)? They don't like guys in flip-flops and shorts, so jeans, shoes and a short sleeved shirt minimum(or a fire suit if you are super fast). Ensure your battery is secured, and if its in the rear it needs a cut-off switch. Radiator requires a catch can so you aren't puking antifreeze on the track. If you run a cage or rollbar and have aftermarket seat belts, ensure they are up to date. Slicks need to have a driveshaft loop. I don't think they'll give you any grief in regards to having a cage, unless you run less than a 6.40 in the 1/8th. Its so busy during this event its hard for them to remember who had what.

92BlkGT

Established Member
Id think it would be close. I'm hoping to get down my local track to get some test runs in before. Not sure if I'll do the drags or not. I don't have a catch can or driveshaft loop installed, and with the weekends being busy until the event I'm not sure I could get it done. Thanks for the information.

ravenknight

Never enough
Established Member
Dude just take the girl and go. I ran into the Sioux guys and hung out with them last year and had a blast, besides its more about cars and the scenary.

Janstang

Established Member
Hell yeah. Worse comes to worse I could be your tour guide in the hills if you need one. I'm taking that whole week off and probably hauling my stuff all up to the dragstrip and staying there, so if anyone needs anything just give me a shout.

M240Bravo

Established Member
Dude just take the girl and go. I ran into the Sioux guys and hung out with them last year and had a blast, besides its more about cars and the scenary.

Oh hellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll no am I taking her.The whole reason I got my gen1 done was to go to this. I'm going just go for the car show and cruise. After your pictures last year paul.

1wild-horse

Established Member
dude if you havent got a hotel, you'll be lucky to stay in deadwood or rapids city so I would say your probably not going :lol:

Stayed at KOA both times I went out and last year was last minute. They have little cabins you can rent, just like camping without having to pull a trailer. Cabins have heat and A/C but you have to bring some sheets and a pillow.

1wild-horse

Established Member
Janstang, do they have any idea on pre-registered numbers for this year? This show gets bigger and bigger every year.

Users who are viewing this thread