stock 2011 5.0 vs 2003 kenne bell cobra

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
I ran my buddy's cobra last wednesday night on the highway from a dig. Both cars on stock tires. mine is bone stock-his is a built motor making 660 hp to the rear tire. Out ran him twice. i have the video-will try to post later this week. :banana:

Is it a small highway with no traffic to just stop and have a dig race? I'd get rear ended and probably cause a pile up if I tried that here.

superman

Established Member
Damn, but you have to understand, its just hard to believe this happened, do you not agree? I mean even with no traction that cobra should have been passing the 5.0 sideways.

edit: of course driver mod plays a big part, 27 years racing is allot of experience.
Everybody is jumping to conclusions thinking because the car makes all this power it should be no contest. driver ability has everything to do with it. We ran almost a 1/4 and he pulled me hard when he finally got it hooked up but by then we had run to our agreed spot. He came around me hard after we hit that spot. The best 1/8 mile time he has run is 7.57 on slicks. I know that everything being equal a 350 horsepower car can't run with a 660 horsepower car but driving a high horsepower 6 speed car on street tires makes things a little different. just saying:shrug:
D.T.R.---I'M hoping to run some 9.90's next month. have to get a new set of slicks (car spun bad in 2nd when i went the 10.20 pass). Going to try out my 2 step for the 1st time. Only had a 1.53 60ft.

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
I know a guy that had a Whipple Cobra making 545rwhp, could get into the 11's to save his life. The tree would drop and he would smoke his tires 100 feet down the track. I wouldn't want to run a KB Cobra in my bone stock 5.0, traction or not.

NateTermi

BF3- NateTermi (ps3)
Established Member
Everybody is jumping to conclusions thinking because the car makes all this power it should be no contest. driver ability has everything to do with it. We ran almost a 1/4 and he pulled me hard when he finally got it hooked up but by then we had run to our agreed spot. He came around me hard after we hit that spot. The best 1/8 mile time he has run is 7.57 on slicks. I know that everything being equal a 350 horsepower car can't run with a 660 horsepower car but driving a high horsepower 6 speed car on street tires makes things a little different. just saying:shrug:
D.T.R.---I'M hoping to run some 9.90's next month. have to get a new set of slicks (car spun bad in 2nd when i went the 10.20 pass). Going to try out my 2 step for the 1st time. Only had a 1.53 60ft.

You went 10.20 in the 1/4 in a stock gt? And while spinning?

zacmustang03

Established Member
hmmm with or without traction it seems the cobra should of pulled.. my father inlaw has a 67 satallite with a 605 indy wedge the car make 840hp and 850 lbs/tq it runs 10.28 at 128 mph we raced a zr1 on the street and he was pissed! we went from a 30 roll and probably to 115 and he only pulled 1 car on the vette blowing the tires off his car. spinning or not that cobra should of walked. just my opinion.

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
I can beat a 8000 hp NHRA dragster on a bicycle in the 1/4th if he can't get any traction.

D.T.R

Established Member
Very nice bro ...
As discovered in the other thread driver doesn't matter you just need 4.10s and you win.
LAWL.gif
LAWL.gif
LAWL.gif

we were talking about my 2003 cobra in another 1 of the post. i wish my 5.0 would run this fast.:banana:

It wouldn't take much to get it there. Probably less/cheaper then your cobra ;-)

Beetle6986

Established Member
Very nice bro ...
It wouldn't take much to get it there. Probably less/cheaper then your cobra ;-)

If you don't mind using Nitrous.

I live in Pembroke N.C. I still have and race my 2003 Cobra--10.20 138 is the best 1/4 mile pass. 6.50 @110 is the best 1/8 mile. Never said my 5.0 was faster or made more power than the cobra. My buddy called me out and wanted to run me. I knew what was going to happen on the highway and him on street tires-i guess he didn't LOL or figured he could outrun me anyhow. I've been racing for 27 years and hangman if we were closer i would love to run you(but i would proably need my Cobra LOL)

138 is really moving!

Last edited:

D.T.R

Established Member
If you don't mind using Nitrous.

138 is really moving!

most people don't... I'm not sure if going FI in a 5.0 is that much more expensive than it is for a terminator to go with a whole different new FI setup

Sick03Vert

Banned
most people don't... I'm not sure if going FI in a 5.0 is that much more expensive than it is for a terminator to go with a whole different new FI setup

I would be very, very careful going FI on a new 5.0. The compression on those engines is already ridiculous from the factory...if you're going to do it right, I can guarantee you will be spending a lot more to FI a 5.0 than you would to do a FI swap on an already-built-for-boost Cobra. Why do you think the 03-04s are so popular? You can supercharge/turbocharge almost anything, but I seriously doubt you would find another car that has been tested with more kits/combinations than the Cobra. The new 5.0 is still exactly that...new.

Whatever you choose, more power to you (literally). But I wouldn't risk it.

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
I would be very, very careful going FI on a new 5.0. The compression on those engines is already ridiculous from the factory...if you're going to do it right, I can guarantee you will be spending a lot more to FI a 5.0 than you would to do a FI swap on an already-built-for-boost Cobra. Why do you think the 03-04s are so popular? You can supercharge/turbocharge almost anything, but I seriously doubt you would find another car that has been tested with more kits/combinations than the Cobra. The new 5.0 is still exactly that...new.

Whatever you choose, more power to you (literally). But I wouldn't risk it.

It's no more risky to run 6-8psi on a new 5.0 than it is to run 15-17psi on an 03 Cobra. They'll make the same amount of power and the 5.0 will be faster.

2K1 SVT

Established Member
It's no more risky to run 6-8psi on a new 5.0 than it is to run 15-17psi on an 03 Cobra. They'll make the same amount of power and the 5.0 will be faster.

Which has the ability to make more power though? There won't be any stock 5.0 engine that will achieve the feat of 1000whp like the stock 03/04 engine did.

Users who are viewing this thread