Stock 01 Cobra...how much power can it handle???

Nazman

Established Member
RicanChulo373 said:
thanks for all the feedback....now I must ask those of you out there running nitrous.....which brand would you recommend? I have people tell me NX Works, NOS, Edelbrock and Zex as some really good kits....what do you think?

Also.....its it best to have a nitrous system that works on "full out throttle" via the throttle body sensor like the Zex kit.....or one that is activated by a switch?

If you are going to spray I recomend a NX kit. But the kit is not just what you need. You need a WS, heater, WOT Sensor, etc.

I run a 2001 WAP block on mine with 628RWHP on nitrous, and sees 7700RPMs with ease.

Naz

RicanChulo373

Established Member
Nazman said:
If you are going to spray I recomend a NX kit. But the kit is not just what you need. You need a WS, heater, WOT Sensor, etc.

I run a 2001 WAP block on mine with 628RWHP on nitrous, and sees 7700RPMs with ease.

Naz

so i take it that the NX kit come factory with a switch right? Is it better to have it as WOT instead of a switch? what is WS by the way?

628RWP!!! not on stock internals right? just the stock WAP block?

Nazman

Established Member
RicanChulo373 said:
so i take it that the NX kit come factory with a switch right? Is it better to have it as WOT instead of a switch? what is WS by the way?

628RWP!!! not on stock internals right? just the stock WAP block?
I have a build short block. My car is a 99 but the block utilizedis for the build is a 2001 WAP. There are WAP blocks making 800+RWHP on Turbo/FI'd applications. As long as the motor was build right, with the right components and tuned correctly (no detonation) you will be fine.

The ONLY way I recomend a Nitrous application is via a WOT sensor and WS (Window Switch). I like the MSD Digital unit. Its very inexpensive yet, simple to use and extreamly reliable.

Keep the timing down (o/a -2 deg per 50HP of HP) and keep the AF o/a 11.5 @ WOT under the nitrous.

Install the kit, test fire it ouside the car to ensure that everything is working. Then Install the 50HP jet for fuel with no bottle and run it, ensure that everything is good to go. It will be rich as heck but its ok.

Then, install the 50HP Nitrous jet and go for a quick test run (dyno) spray it on 3rd gear. Ensure that the AF is good and sound. If everything is good to go, then move into the 75HP and test again, and you could safely run a 100shot with ease.

Every thing after a 100HP shot is up to you. I know people who spray a 150 all day long with no problems with nice 11.5AF and -6 degs and one step colder plug.

Talking about plug. Dont run the stock plug. I run Denso Iridium T20s gapped to .032 and a KB BAS for spark but I turn lots more RPMs and make a bit more HP than you will. :-D

Gap them to about .032 and spray a 100 shot no problem.

Naz

viperbluelx

Sexton's Performance
Established Member
Nothing wrong with a WAP block, I wouldn't be scared to make 700rwhp with one.

I guess I'm one of those ticking time bombs, mine's making about 10psi with a 10:1 compression stock bottom end from an 04 Aviator, cast crank and all, she sure runs good though. :)

RicanChulo373

Established Member
Nazman said:
I have a build short block. My car is a 99 but the block utilizedis for the build is a 2001 WAP. There are WAP blocks making 800+RWHP on Turbo/FI'd applications. As long as the motor was build right, with the right components and tuned correctly (no detonation) you will be fine.

The ONLY way I recomend a Nitrous application is via a WOT sensor and WS (Window Switch). I like the MSD Digital unit. Its very inexpensive yet, simple to use and extreamly reliable.

Keep the timing down (o/a -2 deg per 50HP of HP) and keep the AF o/a 11.5 @ WOT under the nitrous.

Install the kit, test fire it ouside the car to ensure that everything is working. Then Install the 50HP jet for fuel with no bottle and run it, ensure that everything is good to go. It will be rich as heck but its ok.

Then, install the 50HP Nitrous jet and go for a quick test run (dyno) spray it on 3rd gear. Ensure that the AF is good and sound. If everything is good to go, then move into the 75HP and test again, and you could safely run a 100shot with ease.

Every thing after a 100HP shot is up to you. I know people who spray a 150 all day long with no problems with nice 11.5AF and -6 degs and one step colder plug.

Talking about plug. Dont run the stock plug. I run Denso Iridium T20s gapped to .032 and a KB BAS for spark but I turn lots more RPMs and make a bit more HP than you will. :-D

Gap them to about .032 and spray a 100 shot no problem.

Naz

thanks for the info! i was wondering though, if i were to do a 100 shot like you said at about -4,-5 degs....will everyday drive be affected? Cause some people have told me when you mess too much with your timing and airfuel....then you will sacrafice when you daily drive, but will work perfectly when your on the spray only....is that true?

Venomous01

Building Boost
Established Member
ex-PJs snake said:
My understanding is:
The stock 4.6L 4v aluminum block motor can handle 500-550 rwhp.
The stock 4.6L 4v 03-04 Cobra iron block motor can handle 700 rwhp.
That's not right. Some 03/04 guys are upwards of 800-900rwhp on the stock block with turbo and 700-800 rwhp with a SC and/or nitrous added. It's all in the tune and the load the internals can take. I would say you could get 500-550rwhp on a 99/01 at which point the load might be too great even if the tune is spot on. If it were me and I was on stock internals I'd run around 450rwhp reliably and be done with it

Last edited:

Arthur

Established Member
99 cobra with stock internals. Thats how much power it made. We had to cut at 6500rpm since it was just going up.
Keep in mind 99 cobras has high ratio not sure about 01 cobras and mach's but I would assume about the same.
Stock internals on pump gas(premium) and used single 340lbh pump(big mfc) no poostapump.
It is very depends on parts you going to use and very important is the TUNE!!!
Find yourself a very good tuner and defiantly go with dyno tune.
Also mine was tuned on genuine ford software.
Good luck

Attachments

• 1999 Arthur Cobra SC.jpg
    1999 Arthur Cobra SC.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 96

01yellercobra

Established Member
I'm thinking it's been figured out in the last 13 years. But nice numbers. 99 and 01 engine are identical. Aside from the block. But that's for another post. Machs have higher compression than 99/01, but different cams.

Users who are viewing this thread