Stock 01 Cobra...how much power can it handle???

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
RicanChulo373 said:
Yea! ur probably right, but im pretty sure im not gonna go overboard.....but of course, every once in awhile I will love to spank me a few hondas! :)

did u get a quarter time on that set up?

yeah i suck though

12.02 @ 119.85.....1.98 60.....so if i can cut a 1.7 60 the car should go 11.70s-11.80s if not better with the stock 3.27s

I will admit that even I marvel at Double "O"s stock block holding up for 2 years at 9psi on his roots. Because after my stock motor went on the Vortech at 8psi, my hyperteutic pistons were a mess. I had an extremely rich tune going from 10:8 - 11:6 at redline. I guess its a luck of the draw with the stock bottom end.

I agree a tune make a huge difference but our stock bottom end at 8psi or more is simply a ticking time bomb. But a worthy gamble in my estimation since we have feasible options to upgrade at any time.

RicanChulo373, I would definitely get the car blown on stock internals if you're going with an aftercooler. I don't think it makes any sense to take your stock motor and chucking your internal parts to upgrade now. You paid a lot of money for the car as it is. Run your stock block into the ground before rebuilding. Its just stupid to not use what the car came with. Unless you're independantly wealthy.

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
Double"O" said:
yeah i suck though

12.02 @ 119.85.....1.98 60.....so if i can cut a 1.7 60 the car should go 11.70s-11.80s if not better with the stock 3.27s
man, i hope i can come somewhat close to that when the track opens up!

01cobravortech said:
RicanChulo373, I would definitely get the car blown on stock internals if you're going with an aftercooler. I don't think it makes any sense to take your stock motor and chucking your internal parts to upgrade now. You paid a lot of money for the car as it is. Run your stock block into the ground before rebuilding. Its just stupid to not use what the car came with. Unless you're independantly wealthy.
i agree with this to an extent. keep in mind though, there is something to be said about not back tracking and taking everything back off your stock motor for a forged bottom end. but who am i to talk about that....:thumbsup:

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
01cobravortech said:
I will admit that even I marvel at Double "O"s stock block holding up for 2 years at 9psi on his roots. Because after my stock motor went on the Vortech at 8psi, my hyperteutic pistons were a mess. I had an extremely rich tune going from 10:8 - 11:6 at redline. I guess its a luck of the draw with the stock bottom end.

Part of it has to do with how it gets driven....sure i take my car to 6800rpms when i'm racing or on the Dyno but thats the only time....the rest of time the car might see 5k once or twice in 200 miles.

could it pop the next time i hit the throttle??? sure can

i do have a fairly conservative tune though...11.7 a/f and 14-15` timing

Double"O" said:
Part of it has to do with how it gets driven....sure i take my car to 6800rpms when i'm racing or on the Dyno but thats the only time....the rest of time the car might see 5k once or twice in 200 miles.

How often do you take it to the dyno? I'll be honest with you, I still get nervous dopulling over 6000rpms in any gear despite you guys saying that these motors aren't reaching their limit or them loving to rev. The only safety mod I don't have on the car is the #7 & #8 head cooling mod which isn't going on until Is end Naz an intake. But other than that, I still get nervous about pulling mine hard.

RicanChulo373

Established Member
Double"O" said:
LOL yeah i said that too

oh how addictive boost is.

I've been putting 468/414 to the ground for 2+ years and 18K miles...with plenty of 9psi beating in between. It's all about the tune man

on stock internals? not bad at all! would you recommend a custom chip or a tuner like a Predator or SCT tuner?

RicanChulo373

Established Member
01cobravortech said:

I agree a tune make a huge difference but our stock bottom end at 8psi or more is simply a ticking time bomb. But a worthy gamble in my estimation since we have feasible options to upgrade at any time.

Thats what im planning on doing for sure, considering my engine has 46000 original miles on it and its a 2001! and NO! im not where independently wealthy! LOL but I wish i was!! :)

RicanChulo373

Established Member
Double"O" said:

so how does that timing work? is it the higher I would go in timing, the more power I would run....but then would put a lot more stress on the engine?

whats the best set up for a daily driver to have on a/f and timing....but still want a good amount of power?

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
01cobravortech said:
How often do you take it to the dyno? I'll be honest with you, I still get nervous dopulling over 6000rpms in any gear despite you guys saying that these motors aren't reaching their limit or them loving to rev. The only safety mod I don't have on the car is the #7 & #8 head cooling mod which isn't going on until Is end Naz an intake. But other than that, I still get nervous about pulling mine hard.

my car has a dozen or so pulls on the dyno with the blower. my shift light is set for 6500 which is where the power levels off, by time the light goes from my head to my feet and hands it's at 6700-6800rpms....Of note i run 100 Octane when racing at the track and i rarely take it past 6k on the street

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
RicanChulo373 said:
on stock internals? not bad at all! would you recommend a custom chip or a tuner like a Predator or SCT tuner?

Get a custom tune, I highly recomemd hermann....Horsepowerbyhermann is in tampa, check out the florida section for his info.

He is data logging my car and adjusting where necessary today. (after he finishes my gear istall that is) the guy does amazing work

matt888

Established Member
Double"O" said:
Get a custom tune, I highly recomemd hermann....Horsepowerbyhermann is in tampa, check out the florida section for his info.

He is data logging my car and adjusting where necessary today. (after he finishes my gear istall that is) the guy does amazing work

Good to hear about a trustworthy shop out there. I'm moving to St Pete in 2 months.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
matt888 said:
Good to hear about a trustworthy shop out there. I'm moving to St Pete in 2 months.

cool lookin fowart to hangin out with ya trackside

RicanChulo373

Established Member
Double"O" said:

u dont happen to have a website or phone number for him do u?

wma8706

Established Member
150 shot a few times just to reach 11's but would go no higher than 100 shot on a daily driver with stock internals. Like everyone says...its all in the tune!!! I'd say approx. 450 rwhp would be close to the upper limits!

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
^^^^^ What kinds of fuel delivery upgrades did you all make to run that much N2O?

I've always thought that if I were going to run 125+ shot I'd upgrade to either a Focus or Aviator fuel pump and possibly 30lbs injectors. I know you're not supposed to need larger injectors w/ a wet kit, but I'm thinkin' it might be good insurance.

Mt Twigbert

Established Member
I'm putting down 456 WHP and 404 TQ. I have about 2k miles since the install.. I'm yet to have any problems but we'll see how long she holds up.. The car only has 11k so I'm hoping the low miles will help to hold her together..

I saw some talk about cars they can kill.. With the 456 WHP and 4.10s I killed a 95 v10 Viper.. I'll post the link below.. I also raced a friends 04 Cobra (Exhaust, cold air intake, DRs, pulley and dyno tune, 460 WHP).. 1st threw 3rd our cars were right next to each other.. Only an inch or two seperated the front bumpers.. Once I went into 4th I started to pull and put his front bumper at the passenger door/my rear tire.. Then I ran outa gear and shut her down even though he had more left.. We raced 5-6 times with each race was exactly the same..

Heres the Viper video..
http://videos.streetfire.net/search/99+cobra/0/085f6f08-5647-45f0-87f3-983101585a80.htm

Last edited:

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
RicanChulo373 said:
not bad......are you running stock internals? or did u forged bottom end?
yes, on stock internals. forged bottom end will be later on down the road after funds build back up....

also, as Doble"O" said, with any blower setup i would strongly suggest a dyno tune from a reputeable shop. you don't want to play around with half ass tunes and such....

Last edited:

RicanChulo373

Established Member
thanks for all the feedback....now I must ask those of you out there running nitrous.....which brand would you recommend? I have people tell me NX Works, NOS, Edelbrock and Zex as some really good kits....what do you think?

Also.....its it best to have a nitrous system that works on "full out throttle" via the throttle body sensor like the Zex kit.....or one that is activated by a switch?

Users who are viewing this thread