Stock 01 Cobra...how much power can it handle???

RicanChulo373

Established Member
I have a 2001 cobra with the stock engine.......I was wondering how much power in hp and torque is that max that my engine with the stock internals can handle?

Im not looking to drag race....so if i do go with a twin turbo system or a supercharger, I will not abuse it.....but still would like to know roughly how much power and boost it can take before i have to rebuild with forged internals?

THEWOODKING

from reading a lot in this forum...i would suggest doin forged even if you plan on boosting, i know you can boost at the most 9psi safely but your going to want more eventually so just build it forged....if i had the money i would do it in a heartbeat

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
RicanChulo373 said:
I will not abuse it.....but still would like to know roughly how much power and boost it can take before i have to rebuild with forged internals?

LOL yeah i said that too

oh how addictive boost is.

I've been putting 468/414 to the ground for 2+ years and 18K miles...with plenty of 9psi beating in between. It's all about the tune man

Last edited:

slonech

Dark Side
Established Member
yup.. its all about the tune and making sure you get good gas. i know a couple ppl pushing over 460 around here on stock internals, but all cars are different as well.. one car may handle 460, another may blow after simple mods..

ex-PJs snake

That Others May Live
Established Member
My understanding is:
The stock 4.6L 4v aluminum block motor can handle 500-550 rwhp.
The stock 4.6L 4v 03-04 Cobra iron block motor can handle 700 rwhp.

My procharged P1SC is putting down over 450rwhp at 8.5 psi ever since 2000, four months after the car was bought new in 1999 and this is on a still stock motor with #42 injectors and a BA-2800 MAF.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
^^^ bro the Teksid block itself is stronger than the 03/04 Iron block

Teksids can handle upwards of 800+ but the internals will fail long before that

ex-PJs snake

That Others May Live
Established Member
As such, not all 2001s came with Teksids, did they? Some came with WAPs?

Anyhow, I believe the numbers I mentioned were for stock motors with stock internals and if that is correct then 500-550 would sound reasonable for those Teksids with stock internals. :)

scho1186

Established Member
It doesn't have anything to do whether it is a teksid or a WAP. Quadcammer on here pushes over 650 to the wheels on a WAP block with no problems. What matters is the pistons, rods, etc. along with the tune. There are answers for how much our stock motors can handle in the sticky at the top. Read that about supercharging and forging your motor...very informative.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
ex-PJs snake said:
As such, not all 2001s came with Teksids, did they? Some came with WAPs?

Anyhow, I believe the numbers I mentioned were for stock motors with stock internals and if that is correct then 500-550 would sound reasonable for those Teksids with stock internals. :)

thats right some 01s came with WAP blocks...mine is number 2398 and it has a teksid

i am at close to 540hp at the crank....don't plan on going any further than that on the stock internals lol

Last edited:

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
scho1186 said:
It doesn't have anything to do whether it is a teksid or a WAP. Quadcammer on here pushes over 650 to the wheels on a WAP block with no problems. What matters is the pistons, rods, etc. along with the tune. There are answers for how much our stock motors can handle in the sticky at the top. Read that about supercharging and forging your motor...very informative.

Ever seen a block split before while the rods and pistons remain intact???

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
scho1186 said:
On 500 whp?

yeah....stock 302 will do it....a friend of mine did it not once but twice with a Vortech...he was making 515ish at the rear wheel

He got an R block after the second stocker poped...re-used the rods and pistons from the first one too lol

01vert

Established Member
That doesnt happen on a 4v, the pistons and rods are junk if the block goes, The blocks arent known for popping unlike the stock 302 block

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
01vert said:
That doesnt happen on a 4v, the pistons and rods are junk if the block goes, The blocks arent known for popping unlike the stock 302 block

yeah i know....we were just talking about blocks...vice internals

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
When I first joined here in '03 it used to be the stock internals were safe to about 450 hp. I think now people have found that w/ fuel delivery upagrade ( Focus pump, Aviator pump, dual Termi pumps ) & tune & 93+ gas you can possibly pussh that up to 500 hp.

RicanChulo373

Established Member
Double"O" said:
LOL yeah i said that too

oh how addictive boost is.

I've been putting 468/414 to the ground for 2+ years and 18K miles...with plenty of 9psi beating in between. It's all about the tune man

Yea! ur probably right, but im pretty sure im not gonna go overboard.....but of course, every once in awhile I will love to spank me a few hondas! :)

did u get a quarter time on that set up?

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
RicanChulo373 said:
Yea! ur probably right, but im pretty sure im not gonna go overboard.....but of course, every once in awhile I will love to spank me a few hondas! :)
you should be able to spank better cars than hondas...they're not even worth the gas to me :lol1:

Users who are viewing this thread