Still have wheel hop after irs kit.

Evan5469

Established Member
I have the FTBR bushing kit in my rear and it took out the last bit of hop I was experiencing with my Cobra. Lowering springs helped the most by themselves, but you need to put all the pieces of the puzzle together to eliminate wheel hop in these cars. It doesn't seem like it's just 1 thing that gets rid of it for every car out there.

Also, I don't see any mention of subframe connectors and I know they really helped (didn't eliminate) my wheelp hop, so if you don't have a set already I would highly recommend you look into getting them.

keith89

Established Member
Im not going to get into whos kit it was cause i know what this thread will turn into. It was a high quality kit. Built specifically for this car. And fit pefectly the way $800 worth of bushings should. It is acting identical to pre installation of the kit. So this leads me to believe i have a flaw in my suspension setup. Whether it be tires, alignment, springs, shocks, or all of it. I think the guys above hit it with alignment and tire pressure issues.

There are 2 known quality kits out there, FTBR(which i have) and MM. If it's not one of these and you're not willing to say where you got it from, we can't really help you that well. Also, if you left the MM Poly subframe bushings in, they may have just enough give to create some hop.

TRBO VNM

One thing I noticed and others not mention is your springs. Cut stock springs do nothing to help with handling. The stock springs are not progressive rate and why cutting them is ok and won't affect ride quality. So cutting the stock springs gives you the lowered look, but the car is still bouncy and crap handling like they were factory height springs.

So I am sure this is part of it. You need to stiffen up the chassis with subframe connectors and do whatever you can to help handling. Using the H&R Race springs is a great option for lowered look and improved handling without a harsh ride.

Cutting springs saves money and gives a lowered look, but that is it.

So, I would do subframe connectors, H&R springs and then get an alignment. the poly bushings are only helping a miniscule amount over the factory rubber.

Did you use the 14mm or 9/16 bolts for the front mount of the IRS? That is another thing.

Finally, an adjustable shock can help as well.

Ray Lucca

Established Member
Great info above from T. VNM. I installed Bruce's full kit/Bolts/Zerc fittings, MM Subframe Connectors, and an alignment in my 03 Vert., and it eliminated ALL of my wheel hop... Simply the best Mod. I 1/2 coil cut the springs, BUT I bought a low mileage set of the firmer COUPE springs. Springs may be your problem, the H/R's work well. If you bought the kit from Full Tilt, Ck with them, they can help you... Good luck...

Bruha

Thats what I thought
Established Member
I am not trying to judge, but I am having a hard time not calling BS on this... gotta tell us what's going on bro. I have the FTBR kit and I am not seeing any of this. Maybe installation issue.

I think T. VNM has a good point on springs too.. It is definitely a complete effort to get it right, but when you do, it is golden.

Schmitty

03 10th Annie Cobra Bro!
Established Member
I have yet to experience wheel hop since I changed to aluminum/delrin bushings on my rear diff. along with some poly bushings with the steeda stop hop kit. Money well spent IMO

Schmitty

03 10th Annie Cobra Bro!
Established Member
Before:
[youtube_browser]pArisGRTKFM[/youtube_browser]
After:
[youtube_browser]V2C_GXcMm0E[/youtube_browser]

Aceswild 02

Established Member
I'm on stock suspension with cut springs. Once I put my MT 305/35/18s on, wheel hop is virtually gone. Hopped like crazy with my 555Rs.

It's all in the tires

Oh yeah...I'm around 600rwhp

Last edited:

justa281

Established Member
Glad to report the tire pressures are now at 22psi with an alignment and no hop. Figured it was something simple. Thank you for all your input guys. Just started this thread to see if others were experiencing the same issues. I highly recommend the kits out there and doing the install yourself. It was time consuming but easy.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Let me google that for you

Then again, when you mention those things here, you get banned:rolleyes:

The only people that get banned around here are dumbasses and trolls! :read: Be careful! :idea:

Glad to report the tire pressures are now at 22psi with an alignment and no hop. Figured it was something simple. Thank you for all your input guys. Just started this thread to see if others were experiencing the same issues. I highly recommend the kits out there and doing the install yourself. It was time consuming but easy.

I don't see a mod list in your sig for your car and I don't see if it's a coupe or vert? That is a HUGE difference. Verts are 'special needs vehicles'. Tires, pressures, springs, FLSFC's, shocks and bushing materials all play a role in control arm deflection and wheel hop.

For more information on the Cobra IRS See the IRS Informational article on our site:

IRS Informational Article

Along with the FAQ regarding the IRS:

FTBR FAQ's

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

justa281

Established Member
Ya i haven't set up my sig yet. Its a coupe. I have read your irs posts before and thats why i decided to stay with the irs and not go sra. Could stand giving up all the potential for a 100 lbs of savings. Plus im not a dedicated drag guy. I like going to drift events and the track with friends. Irs is for my likings.

TerminatorSVT03

Established Member
Go solid axel best mod I ever did to my cobra I spent almost 2 grand on bushings and all that irs bullshit. Save your money and time and go SRA

keith89

Established Member
I agree. These are the few who don't understand irs.

+1 i hear of people needing to spend a lot of time dialing in the solid axle. I remember seeing a thread a few weeks ago where someone was disappointed because they thought by swapping to a solid they would have instant sub 1.5 60's and ended up with a worse 60' than with the IRS. I'm assuming he eventually got it dialed in after a bunch of visits to the track.

Users who are viewing this thread