Stiegemeier Is Not Recommending 4#lower

Machinator

Banned
CobraBob said:
Are you kidding? You may have had an isolated case due to other issues (I really don't know), but to say that porting the Eaton is a waste of money, and ported Eatons don't run any different than stock Eaton, is just not true. I can vouch for that first hand. I was one of the first to port my blower back in the Apten days, and the difference was night and day. So I'm sorry you don't feel yours is any better than stock, but there are too many very satisfied owners of ported blower equipped Cobras to say otherwise.

Really? You asked my genuine opinion and then ask if I am kidding? The diff between a ported eaton and an unported one are to freakin close. The track times just dont add up. Getting a twin screw should be in order. What about F8Lbite? Huh, he ran a 10 something on an unported eaton and 99% of these ported guys will never see that, I am sorry that all this propaganda about ported eatons hadnt hit the net because I would be 700 dollars closer to paying for my turbo!
Scott

MTI LS1

Machinator said:
Really? You asked my genuine opinion and then ask if I am kidding? The diff between a ported eaton and an unported one are to freakin close. The track times just dont add up. Getting a twin screw should be in order. What about F8Lbite? Huh, he ran a 10 something on an unported eaton and 99% of these ported guys will never see that, I am sorry that all this propaganda about ported eatons hadnt hit the net because I would be 700 dollars closer to paying for my turbo!
Scott

I agree on some levels. An Eaton, ported or not, is light years from the efficiency and pull of a twin-screw but its worthwhile if you are looking to make 500-520 and no more than that.

Even the ported Eaton is being pushed very hard when you start seeing 16-18#'s. With my 2.76/4lb combo it was being pushed for everything that it had. Glad I went twin-screw finally.

Bonefish

FKNGFST
Established Member
I have a 2.80 with 4lb and to date no issue. Only time I noticed exccessive heat was on a VERY hot day..on a cruise in traffic with the air on...other than that nothing. I do however wonder what happened to the 2.80/4lb lower was a great combo. Now that seems not to be the case...This is not going to be a scenario where everyone panics and then we find out...well maybe it's not so bad to do 2.80/4lb lower. I don't have the money to do all these damn mods twice...trying to do it right the first time. My eaton is not ported but, I was thinking about it. Now I don't know what to do. This is getting freaking ridiculous. Can someone post what is the real issue if any? What mods will support a 2.8/4lb lower and be safe. I know I have alot of boost on tap with this combo and I, like IronTerp were tuned by the same person...and to date have no issues. This kind of pisses me off.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Machinator said:
Scott
Yes Scott, I asked for your opinion and yes, I am still amazed that you would say that the ported and unported differences are "too freakin close". You are calling a 50-65rwhp increase (plus torque gains) not significant? And "too freakin close" to an unported Eaton? I'm baffled! Truth is, the gains are what they are. Plain and simple. That said, we should all know that a ported Eaton is more efficient with the port than without it, and we also know that a twin-screw is more efficient that a ported Eaton. That still doesn't negate the fact that a ported Eaton most certainly does make very nice power. And it is a very good investment for the person who doesn't care to make more than 525rwhp. For the person who does, the twin-screws varieties are a better choice, or a turbo. The ported Eaton will continue to please a lot of folks who just don't want to invest in a twin screw or turbo setup. ;-)

Machinator

Banned
CobraBob said:
Yes Scott, I asked for your opinion and yes, I am still amazed that you would say that the ported and unported differences are "too freakin close". You are calling a 50-65rwhp increase (plus torque gains) not significant? And "too freakin close" to an unported Eaton? I'm baffled! Truth is, the gains are what they are. Plain and simple. That said, we should all know that a ported Eaton is more efficient with the port than without it, and we also know that a twin-screw is more efficient that a ported Eaton. That still doesn't negate the fact that a ported Eaton most certainly does make very nice power. And it is a very good investment for the person who doesn't care to make more than 525rwhp. For the person who does, the twin-screws varieties are a better choice, or a turbo. The ported Eaton will continue to please a lot of folks who just don't want to invest in a twin screw or turbo setup. ;-)

I geuss so man, I hope I did not offend you, I was am just really dissapointed in the results I thought it would be more.
Scott

redsvtcobra

Established Member
Machinator said:
I geuss so man, I hope I did not offend you, I was am just really dissapointed in the results I thought it would be more.
Scott

The flat torque curve on these cars already make the car's power deceptive and adding 10% more power on the top end may not feel huge, but it is definitely there and put most cars that do the port into the 500+ rwhp club. I never plan on doing any kind of twin screw or turbo setup. 530/530 is where I want to be and the price of the port that got me there was definitely worth it.

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
Ok for one, everyone who has been posting saying they are about to send their blowers to Steg, just relax. This thread shouldn't make you change your mind about your pulley combo or your supercharger porting.

Second, I noticed a couple people have mentioned cooling mods. If steg has noticed case flex with over 16psi then cooling mods for our intercooling system (heat exchanger, ice box. . .etc) is not going to do anything to prevent this.

Its hard to tell what Steg is trying to get across to us, but going by their first post, 16psi or less will not cause any issues with the rotors/case clearance. So as of right now, if you really want to play it safe, just keep the boost at 16psi or under. Removing material from the supercharger can cause more case flex, so its possible that Steg has noticed something over 16psi. But, we will just have to wait until steg explains.

sprsonic

Established Member
running a 2.93 and 6lb lower, 6000 miles and no problems yet, i just want to know if there is any reports of rotor or case failure for the m112 eaton due to overspinning.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
JKD COBRA said:
Ok for one, everyone who has been posting saying they are about to send their blowers to Steg, just relax. This thread shouldn't make you change your mind about your pulley combo or your supercharger porting.

Second, I noticed a couple people have mentioned cooling mods. If steg has noticed case flex with over 16psi then cooling mods for our intercooling system (heat exchanger, ice box. . .etc) is not going to do anything to prevent this.

Its hard to tell what Steg is trying to get across to us, but going by their first post, 16psi or less will not cause any issues with the rotors/case clearance. So as of right now, if you really want to play it safe, just keep the boost at 16psi or under. Removing material from the supercharger can cause more case flex, so its possible that Steg has noticed something over 16psi. But, we will just have to wait until steg explains.
EXCELLENT post! I'm thinking the same thing.

badsube

Rescue Chief
Established Member
Cobra330 said:
I have a 2.80 with 4lb and to date no issue. Only time I noticed exccessive heat was on a VERY hot day..on a cruise in traffic with the air on...other than that nothing. I do however wonder what happened to the 2.80/4lb lower was a great combo. Now that seems not to be the case...This is not going to be a scenario where everyone panics and then we find out...well maybe it's not so bad to do 2.80/4lb lower. I don't have the money to do all these damn mods twice...trying to do it right the first time. My eaton is not ported but, I was thinking about it. Now I don't know what to do. This is getting freaking ridiculous. Can someone post what is the real issue if any? What mods will support a 2.8/4lb lower and be safe. I know I have alot of boost on tap with this combo and I, like IronTerp were tuned by the same person...and to date have no issues. This kind of pisses me off.
again, well stated. what really pisses me-off is that steg is not monitoring this thread closely to respond immediately to customer's concerns. i have the stage 4 w/ 2.93/4lb being installed this week. i'm not really too concerned though because i have great support and was set-up with a tried and true tuner through the mid atlantic cobra association, but this thread should be getting alot more responses from steg. the more i think about this, the more it pisses me off. i hope they do other work in their shop besides cobra modifications. if they don't, they might want to start looking. if you want to post a "warning" post, fine. but make sure you back it up or at least respond to customer's questions and concerns. unbelievable.

96BlackSnake

I Am The Chosen One
Established Member
coolcobramatt said:
Finite Element Analysis? Dang, I just want to get my Stage 4 to 505 rwhp and increase my darn torque sitting at 469...argh. 2.76 and stock lower BTW...lol

All I can say is werd...

I have a 2.76 and my numebrs are 510/467. I feel your pain on this one. :beer:

AllVenom

Established Member
I wasn't about to read 7 pages of people saying this and that, but I feel Bob must be in a CMA situation here? You can quickly do a search in these forums and find countless posts to him stating that a 4lb/2.93 combo was the best way to go with the Stage 3 port. I'm guessing there have been some failures now that the port has been out for a while and he doesn't want to be held responsibile for stating such claims on here, which he shouldn't, we all know the risks of modding our cars. In either case, if your happy with your mod, then just do it.

Traffic_Cone

Established Member
Well everyone just jumped off the bandwagon after reading the first post...It's to early to assume so for those who are knocking steg just need to chill out. Until his data is brought to the table or along with data from real world driving conditions then this post means nothing. This would be the equivalent to someone getting on the forums and saying that 16.1lbs is far worse then 16lbs, or the DFX is bad, or saying that running your Twin Screw at 17+lbs isn’t worth it, or saying nitrous won't help our cars when we know it will. You guys should all know the consequences anyways about running high boost so this post should not come as a surprise because we all know already it produces alot more heat, works the blowers bearings harder, belt slip and etc.

Cliff Notes – (Not intended to be arrogant or sound rude) Think about the end before the beginning, meaning this post also can convey the point of if you know you are running a risk of stuff breaking especially in a tight financial situation don’t do it.

-Josh

Last edited:

haskett

Established Member
Wow. Lots of text. Very little fact. Not sure why anyone would post a "don't do the following..." message without explaining why and what the possible ramifications are.

BTW.... Don't paint your garage door blue if you have a red bedspread. :)

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Machinator said:
Scott
Not a problem Scott. We're cool! :thumbsup:

sedanman

Established Member
I don't see why boost matters it should be about blower speed! The problems issues he describe would be more do to excessive rpm not boost, which means shift point could be more important then pulley choice.

blackvenom77

killer cobra
Established Member
JMD0346 said:
I think there's more to this whole story then we are being told. It sounds like someone could be trying to cover their butt. Im probably wrong but it could be.. I dont like to speculate but I dont think we've been left with much choice.

When I read this thread the first thing that popped in my head was " Something went wrong". Then we we really got no explination I thought "Something went wrong and they dont know what or why and we wont hear anymore about it untill they do". The first post seems like an "Oh shit!. Go get online and tell everybody not to run over 16lbs! Quick!!"

Did anyone else leave with that feeling?
I did.

Users who are viewing this thread