Steam account hijacked.

zak88lx

Future SVT *****
Established Member
The other day, I decided to take my old PC DVD copy of Dead Island off the shelf, as I haven't played it for many years.
So I install the game from DVD, login to Steam, enter my CD key from inside the case, and it comes back with "duplicate code" from another Steam account!?
I bought this game new, it has never left my house, and I registered it only once before many years ago, so I'm like WTF!

They give me an option to reauthorize the game from the other account, so I click on button, hoping I will receive an email, but I don't.

So I remember years ago, that I did have an old Steam account from like 2004 that I haven't used for like 10 years.
I tried logging in with that username and password, but the password was incorrect, so I clicked on forgot password and it said sending reset password to 1***@g*** (partial email shown).
This is not an email that I recognized, so I cancelled.

So I figure at this point that my account must have been hijacked, and I contact Steam support.
I sent them pictures from a bunch of my old PC games showing the CD keys proving that I own them all.

They get back to me the next day, and told me that my account was indeed hijacked, and they gave me a reset password for my old Steam account.
I login to the old account, and I see some weirdly named profile from a user in Ukraine, with all of my original PC game library, plus a few extra games that the hijacker must have purchased since hijacking my account (bonus :thumbsup:).

So in the end, I'm thinking this is great, the good guy wins this time, but I was wrong...

Today I received 10+ different emails, from user forums that I frequent saying "Your password has been reset by an administrator."
I immediately realize what has happened. :nono:
This Steam hijacker who definitely has my username and possibly my email as well, must have Google searched my username, and then went into each user forum that I visit, resetting my forum password by entering the known username, and the forgot password option.

Not a big deal, as I can login and change my passwords back again, but I'm thinking this may be an ongoing war.

What is my best course of action?
It's not an easy process to change my username at all of these user forums?
I can change my associated email on each user forum, but I'm not even sure if that's necessary to reset my password with a valid username.

Mods, do you have any suggestions?

Thanks all!

jeffh81

Here’s KingBlack
Established Member
Bastards broken into the yellowbullet too. I got a new password email today

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Time to contact all these forums and change your login e-mail. Well, at least I would think they could do that for you.

zak88lx

Future SVT *****
Established Member
LOL, what's the first thing that comes to mind when tranny is mentioned?

5d4d3e0ba386f7f54ffee90c73d2e0dc.jpg

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
On my phone, but you should be able to change your email and password. Hit me up if you have issues.

oldmodman

Established Member
Seven. So far.

I just type them into my taskbar (eliminates fake addresses) and replace my password.

I like using the one that Data used in that last Star Trek movie. But inside out and upside down.

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
Today I received 10+ different emails, from user forums that I frequent saying "Your password has been reset by an administrator."
I immediately realize what has happened. :nono:
This Steam hijacker who definitely has my username and possibly my email as well, must have Google searched my username, and then went into each user forum that I visit, resetting my forum password by entering the known username, and the forgot password option.
I don't understand how this part could have happened unless you were using the same user ID & password for the forums & email account as you were using with Steam. If that's the case, shame on you. If not, my bad.

U.M.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Hmmm. I got an email yesterday from another forum that the administrator reset my password. Sounds like a hijack attempt as I haven't been on that forum in awhile and I never requested a re-set.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Hmmm. I got an email yesterday from another forum that the administrator reset my password. Sounds like a hijack attempt as I haven't been on that forum in awhile and I never requested a re-set.

I got it too Bob, Mod Fords. It's legit as they have a thread about it over there.

CompOrange04GT

Anyone have a strap on my girl can use on me?
Established Member
Has to do with Vbulletin.. Well no. Sorry... Any forums that use Vbulletin that were bought out by big companies and have their " staff" run it.

On a forum I'm on.. The admin has stated to they will do a force reset password due to security issues on VB

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member

I got it too Bob, Mod Fords. It's legit as they have a thread about it over there.

Has to do with Vbulletin.. Well no. Sorry... Any forums that use Vbulletin that were bought out by big companies and have their " staff" run it.

On a forum I'm on.. The admin has stated to they will do a force reset password due to security issues on VB

The forced password resets many automotive forum members have been seeing over the past few days are due to an enormous hack the recently occurred. Read about it here: http://jalopnik.com/45-million-acco...he-biggest-car-f-1782030203?rev=1466004368979

If you are a member of ANY of the forums listed in the link below go change your password NOW!!!
http://www.verticalscope.com/automotive/site-list.html

U.M.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread