Squeek from suspension when turning the wheel to the left?? Ideas please

NEWSVTGUY

Established Member
My terminator is having this problem where when I turn the wheel to the left I hear a horrible squeeking noise, like metal on metal. It's not ridiculously loud but definitly audible.
I hear there is a tsb on something similar, but it's when you turn the wheel to the right, I don't know if I could be experiencing the same issue or not. I am not lowered no suspension mods at all. It's coming from the front and sounds like the drivers side.
I plan on looking into as soon as I have the time, I would just like some ideas on what it could be from, I know these cars have all kinds of issues but couldn't pin point this on in the search, maybe one of you are a bit more familiar.

Please help

Thanks

:beer:

metaman

Established Member
It sounds strange, but it is probably one of the rear hub bearings. I thought it was comming from the front when my car was doing that, but the front was perfect and it was the rt. rear hub bearings. Jack the back of the car up and check for play in the rt. rear wheel 12-6. There should be no play.

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
I'll bet my bottom dollar it's one of your steering rack bushing. They are really easy to remove and reinstall. Mine made a similar noise and I removed, put a small bead of grease over them, and reinstalled. The other option is to get some aluminum steering rack bushings to replace the OEM rubber.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
I'll bet my bottom dollar it's one of your steering rack bushing. They are really easy to remove and reinstall. Mine made a similar noise and I removed, put a small bead of grease over them, and reinstalled. The other option is to get some aluminum steering rack bushings to replace the OEM rubber.

Dirty:nono:

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
Like mu22stang pointed out it's most likely the steering rack bushings. Good news is they're cheap, super easy to install, and if you get the aluminum bushings steering response is much much better.

hand-to-ball

That Was Just Your Life
Established Member
Is this noise different than the clunking/popping/thudding that some are experiencing in the front (me..wtf). I have no 'squeaking' per se but it feels like the right front of my car is skipping around at low speeds turning the wheel, especially on an incline.

NEWSVTGUY

Established Member
Thanks for the info guys, I'm going to take a look at the bushings later today hopefully. Are there any downfalls to going with aluminum bushings? noise etc.

Is this noise different than the clunking/popping/thudding that some are experiencing in the front (me..wtf). I have no 'squeaking' per se but it feels like the right front of my car is skipping around at low speeds turning the wheel, especially on an incline.

Yes it is different, but I have that problem too :cryying:

Any fix for it that you know of??

hand-to-ball

That Was Just Your Life
Established Member
Thanks for the info guys, I'm going to take a look at the bushings later today hopefully. Are there any downfalls to going with aluminum bushings? noise etc.

Yes it is different, but I have that problem too :cryying:

Any fix for it that you know of??

Man I wish...although my mechanic went through the following and found no issues:

control arms and bushings
steering rack and bushings
rack itself
ball joints

He did tell me that the felt some extra play in the passenger strut itself when pulling on it, and says he's about 80% sure it's the strut itself. I tend to think the same, though I wonder if the upper strut mount is f'd up. As soon as I get it fixed, I'll share...I know a good deal of other guys here have the same issue.

NEWSVTGUY

Established Member
Well for some reason the sound went away. It's not doing it anymore. I did hit a bump pretty hard before I noticed the sound so maybe it messed with the iso and it somehow fell back into place :shrug:

IDK, I'm not a suspension guy by any means, actually I'm not really much of a pro at anything when it comes to cars :nonono:

Man I wish...although my mechanic went through the following and found no issues:

control arms and bushings
steering rack and bushings
rack itself
ball joints

He did tell me that the felt some extra play in the passenger strut itself when pulling on it, and says he's about 80% sure it's the strut itself. I tend to think the same, though I wonder if the upper strut mount is f'd up. As soon as I get it fixed, I'll share...I know a good deal of other guys here have the same issue.

I'm pretty sure there was a TSB on it, hopefully someone can chime in with some info.

NEWSVTGUY

Established Member

Hmmm.... it actually looks like it's coming from the center of that rod, right after that rubber cover.

I may try replacing those busings, any idea where I can find them? And what they run?

Thanks!!

:beer:

wvmystichrome

Established Member
My 95 Lincoln Continental has squeeked for several years now. Evry now and then I take a hyperdermic needle and start injecting lubricating oil around and between the bushings and the metal. It will help for a while and then comes back. Have fun.

Jroc

Established Member
Try greasing your Tie-Rod ends. They are the only pieces on your front suspension with grease fitting.

About 2 weeks ago my front suspension had developed a niose, so I greased my Tie-Rod Ends and it went away.

TRBO VNM

the issue with the steering rack bushings is not the bushing itself. it is the center pin. some people pull the pin and shaved a little off the end.

NEWSVTGUY

Established Member
What's this pin you are referring to? There is a popping noise now when I turn the wheel

Sorry I don't know much about suspension, actually I know nothing about suspension

Users who are viewing this thread