Spun rod bearing???...Will find out this week

BlueVenom01

Established Member
01cobravortech said:
f its not too late and if the dealership doesn't object you really should put a Canton Racing pan in there with their windage tray. I too went through 2 rod bearing failures on my old 01 Cobra. Its the best insurance to prevent oil starvation up top with those crappy rod bearings Ford used on the 99/01s. Its the best money you'll ever spend. Did it on my final 01 Cobra crate motor through Ford Racing and 8qts would almost mark the top of the max indicator on the dipstick.

hmmm...price range on that set up? i'm sure they'd do it if i asked them to...

BlueVenom01 said:
hmmm...price range on that set up? i'm sure they'd do it if i asked them to...

I believe your looking at a total of $270 with windage tray. Seriously man, if the dealer will do it I think you'd be foolish not to add this extra insurance IMHO. An extra qt will help your motor cooler and the canton pan is far superior than the stocker.

BlueVenom01

Established Member
01cobravortech said:
I believe your looking at a total of $270 with windage tray. Seriously man, if the dealer will do it I think you'd be foolish not to add this extra insurance IMHO. An extra qt will help your motor cooler and the canton pan is far superior than the stocker.

that's not a bad price at all..where did you order yours from?

BlueVenom01 said:
that's not a bad price at all..where did you order yours from?

I got mine through RPM Outlet but I'm not giving them anymore business because of the smartass remarks their online help desk operators make.

D'Agostino Racing and Lethal Performance's prices are in the same ballpark and they will get you the product ASAP without any issue.

BlueVenom01

Established Member
er22bball0302 said:
dang i got a 3 yr 100k mi warranty on mine...

Did you get a crate motor or the longblock? Why in the hell am I getting the feeling that I may be reamed on my warranty for this new motor?? :shrug:

I will be making a call to the warranty company 1st thing Monday morning...this will bite if I only get a 12 mo warranty on the motor...

BlueVenom01

Established Member
CobraRed01 said:
I'd like to hear why they are saying only 1 year for their warranty reman when rhinoengines...and others in here say 3 years.

http://www.rhinoengines.com/ford46windsorenginecar.htm

Considering the fact that some guys are on their 2nd or 3rd motors sounds like 1 year is not long enough. Might want to poll those with remans to find out the consensus opinion.

thanks for the idea cobrared....i will definitely do that. i'll keep you posted on what the warranty company has to say about the "short" warranty and where they are getting the motor from...

djtech

Established Member
BlueVenom01 said:
how long has the reman motor been in? no probs at all?

Hmm.. it was put in a years ago, I'll have to dig up the receipt to be sure but it was before 2003. IIRC it was early/mid 2002.

60,000 miles later and running fine, I did all my own oil changes after the reman. Before that Ford did them and didn't put enough oil in. I went back 3 times telling them this but they said don't worry about it.

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
djtech said:
Hmm.. it was put in a years ago, I'll have to dig up the receipt to be sure but it was before 2003. IIRC it was early/mid 2002.

60,000 miles later and running fine, I did all my own oil changes after the reman. Before that Ford did them and didn't put enough oil in. I went back 3 times telling them this but they said don't worry about it.

That's exactly the same issue I've been experiencing. Ford tech's think 6 quarts is enough, because that's "by-the-book"...but they may have been leading a lot of unsuspecting Cobra owner's down the path to destruction. I always end up topping off to 6 1/2 or 7 quarts.

djtech

Established Member
CobraRed01 said:
That's exactly the same issue I've been experiencing. Ford tech's think 6 quarts is enough, because that's "by-the-book"...but they may have been leading a lot of unsuspecting Cobra owner's down the path to destruction. I always end up topping off to 6 1/2 or 7 quarts.

Yeah 6 1/2 here too, lots o threads about it... I've posted on a bunch ;)

I'm not happy about having a reman motor in my car... how unoriginal non numbers matching... oh wait, I've modded the shit out of my car anyway, I'm glad they only put 6:poke:

BlueVenom01

Established Member
I believe using 6 quarts led to the death of my oil pump, therefore spun bearings. I bang her pretty hard every now and then and drive like I stole it. Unfortunately, I think the damage was already done or in process before I found out from all of you about Ford engineering's infinite wisdumb in deciding that 6 qts was enough oil for such a high revving performance motor....dumbasses. :cuss:

THIS motor will get 7 qts with every oil change, guaranteed, starting with the first fill up. Luckily the SVT tech working on my car agrees that the Ford engineers were dead wrong about 6 qts!

BlueVenom01

Established Member
New motor is here....WHOOHOO!!! It came from Greenleaf Auto out of Seguin Texas....anyone ever heard of this place? I looked them up on the internet, LOOKS to be a reputable place. Greenleafauto.com. My service advisor says this engine looks brand new (I can only hope it is vs. a very clean reman).....I'm going to check it out after work..I'll post pics.......

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
Don't mean to be a buzzkill...I looked over the site, but where does it say Greenleaf provides remanufactured engines? Did you ask your dealer about the fact that others have gotten a 3 year warranty on their remans? Just some things to check out.

BlueVenom01

Established Member
CobraRed01 said:
Don't mean to be a buzzkill...I looked over the site, but where does it say Greenleaf provides remanufactured engines? Did you ask your dealer about the fact that others have gotten a 3 year warranty on their remans? Just some things to check out.

Man...kill da buz you did!! Seriously tho, I checked out the motor today and all I can say is DAMN!!! It looks brand new. The Ford tech says this looks exactly like the remans they get directly from Ford. Same tagging, set up, and bagged parts. He is going to look into this tho and talk to his boss about this place..I had him check out the website - almost seems like the recycled parts they are talking about are body parts, not motor parts. :eek:

I called Greenleaf to find out about the warranty and they wouldn't release the info to me. They said I had to go through the warranty company to get that info..sounds fishy to me. Anyway, it's 12/12,000 which the service advisor said Ford had to give. The warranty company only wanted to do 6/6,000. I'm thinkin Greenleaf warranties the motors longer, but the warranty company doesn't want to honor it. Maybe I'll just call anonymously and ask...

Here's pics of the new motor...tell me what you guys think...

newengine6-12-07.jpg

newengine7.jpg

newengine6-1.jpg

newengine5.jpg

newengine4.jpg

newengine3.jpg

newengine2.jpg

Last edited:

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
Sure is a purtty looking motor. Hey, maybe it's a fluke and they found you a crate motor somewhere. Trust me, I really don't mean to throw a wrench in your works, but I'd like to think you can get the best deal possible. Why some can get a 3 year warranty and some only 1 is a mystery to me. Maybe the warranty company can elucidate. At the least it would be good to know the pedigree of the motor they sent you...especially from a place that seems to only do auto salvage. At the end of the day, if you only get a 1 year warranty that is certainly better than nothing. If Ford backs it up, that's helpful. You can rest assured that at least you did your homework. It's really fortunate that your motor went under warranty...if it's gotta go that's the time to do it. Best of luck with it!!! :beer:

Last edited:

BlueVenom01

Established Member
CobraRed01 said:
Sure is a purtty looking motor. Hey, maybe it's a fluke and they found you a crate motor somewhere. Trust me, I really don't mean to throw a wrench in your works, but I'd like to think you can get the best deal possible. Why some can get a 3 year warranty and some only 1 is a mystery to me. Maybe the warranty company can elucidate. At the least it would be good to know the pedigree of the motor they sent you...especially from a place that seems to only do auto salvage. At the end of the day, if you only get a 1 year warranty that is certainly better than nothing. If Ford backs it up, that's helpful. You can rest assured that at least you did your homework. It's really fortunate that your motor went under warranty...if it's gotta go that's the time to do it. Best of luck with it!!! :beer:

Thanks man...I can only hope it was a crate! I am going to find out though...If nothing else I'm gonna drive the hell out of the car for a year to see if the motor is going to hold up. If not, they'll be sending me another one!
I can't wait to get it back!!!

Users who are viewing this thread