Spun rod bearing???...Will find out this week

BlueVenom01

Established Member
I posted up about a month ago that I thought I had spun a rod bearing. I pulled my cops and the sound didn't go away. So I figured to play it safe, I would take it in to the dealer (where I purchased the car) to have them check it. Their reply was that I had a clogged cat on the drivers side. A couple of bangs with a rubber mallet and the noise was gone. This past Friday I was leaving my brother's house, decided to get in it a bit on take off. I felt the car shudder a bit and could tell there was an instant drop in power while I was in it. Then I hear this knocking that sounded like a damn freight train! After that, the car died at every stop light I came to and almost wouldn't turn over when I tried to start it. Fearing the worst I took it to a different dealership on Sat. They told me they were 99% sure I had spun a rod bearing. Oil level was right on the money too...they are going to tear it down this week and find out for sure.

Luckily my car is still under the extended warranty and so happens to expire on June 9th....talk about cuttin it close!! The dealership doesn't foresee any problems with me being able to get a new motor - but I should know in a couple of days for sure. If that is the case, I was thinking about going with termy motor. Question is...will it fit and what do you guys think the price difference would be between the 01 and the termy motors? Can I run it on the stock rearend and irs??

BloodSoup

Established Member
sorry but take that idea and dump it. it isnt gonna happen. you will get the motor that is supposed to go in it originally. only way you will get a termy engine is if you pay for all of it out of pocket.

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
BloodSoup said:
sorry but take that idea and dump it. it isnt gonna happen. you will get the motor that is supposed to go in it originally. only way you will get a termy engine is if you pay for all of it out of pocket.

+1. There is no way around it.

BlueVenom01

Established Member
it was just a thought...i figured if i could get one and just pay the difference i would do that. but hey, i'll be happy with a new stocker! i'll be able to do some things that i wouldn't had thought about doing on a motor with 84,000 miles on it!

01 Venom

Established Member
ya even insurance companies dont do that on my old mustang I had a front end crash that wrecked my hood. I wanted a Cobra R hood and just pay the difference. They were like ummm no

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
01 Venom said:
ya even insurance companies dont do that on my old mustang I had a front end crash that wrecked my hood. I wanted a Cobra R hood and just pay the difference. They were like ummm no

i did similar on my last cobra, but on the rear...when i got rear ended, i had the body shop replace the stock bumper w/ a 03 bumper...had to pay like 40 or 50 bucks difference...
i'm just saying it won't hurt to ask the question...what's the worst that'll happen? they'll say no?

BlueVenom01

Established Member
quick01snake said:
i did similar on my last cobra, but on the rear...when i got rear ended, i had the body shop replace the stock bumper w/ a 03 bumper...had to pay like 40 or 50 bucks difference...
i'm just saying it won't hurt to ask the question...what's the worst that'll happen? they'll say no?

exactly....that's why I'm going to at least ask them. who knows, i might get lucky or something....what would be even better is if they shipped an 03/04 motor by mistake :thumbsup: not likely, but it is possible......

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
Sounds nice but won't you will need the 03 computer and will the 01 brackets and accessories work with the 03?

BlueVenom01

Established Member
32V NACobra said:
Sounds nice but won't you will need the 03 computer and will the 01 brackets and accessories work with the 03?

this is what i'm trying to find out...what will i need to make this work, if i can do it at all? if it's going too be much of a hassle i may not do it...

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
You're wasting your time. They use your VIN and tags off the block to order a new motor. When your motor pops, it goes back to Ford as a core. As I understand it, they won't accept a 99/01 as a core for an 03/04 motor. I looked into this when my motor blew a while back. All the information I have came from a good friend that is a former Service Advisor for Ford. He told me that it wasn't possible.

BlueVenom01

Established Member
BreBar21 said:
You're wasting your time. They use your VIN and tags off the block to order a new motor. When your motor pops, it goes back to Ford as a core. As I understand it, they won't accept a 99/01 as a core for an 03/04 motor. I looked into this when my motor blew a while back. All the information I have came from a good friend that is a former Service Advisor for Ford. He told me that it wasn't possible.

Thanks BreBar.....Oh well, I'll still (hopefully) have a new motor to play with!

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
32V NACobra said:

Not the computer. But he will need a shitton of stuff to swap it.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
32V NACobra said:

Not the computer. But he will need a shitton of stuff to swap it.

wallie40

Established Member
Wont happen. Ford wont swap anything. It takes too many parts, too much modifying. See my, 99RioCobra and 01Venom's thread on what needs to be done for the swap to work.

The harness has to be cut and extended in 2 places. The powersteering hoses dont fit. You have a IAT , the the 03/4 has a IAT and a TMAP/IAT2. UGGH too many things to list.

I have a headache just thinking about it.

GL with your new engine.
-pAul

01yellercobra

Established Member
I don't he's looking to swap on the whole supercharger set up. I think he just wants the 03/04 shortblock. All he would need for that is the parts off of his old motor.

Last edited:

BlueVenom01

Established Member
slo984now said:
I don't he's looking to swap on the whole supercharger set up. I think he just wants the 03/04 shortblock. All he would need for that is the parts off of his old motor.

Actually I was looking at just dropping the whole termy motor into the car....swap 01 motor for 03/04 motor. That's why I asking to see how easy/difficult it would be to make the swap if I could do it at all.

Just trying to keep my options open so I don't get one of those "Why didn't you drop an 03/04 motor in there for a $xxx more" questions. Then I would be kicking myself in the ass for not checking this board first....

The tear down is supposed to take place tomorrow and hopefully the inspector will be able to check things over the same day....I will try to get pics of the damage and post up...

Users who are viewing this thread