Southwest flight engine failure; one dead, 7 injured

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
I'm flying southwest in a couple weeks too. Won't be sitting over the wing area lol

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

This is actually a very rare thing to have happen these days...They torture test these jet engines under all manner of conditions, objects shot into jet engine etc.

From the looks of it, the nacelle, fan blade disk are still relatively intact.

160827185306-01-southwest-airlines-3472-engin-super-tease.jpg

MassCobra

All set
Established Member
Sad that a person was killed but I believe I heard this is the first ever fatality for Southwest and the first overall in the U.S. in ten years. Pretty good record.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
apparently there was an airworthiness directive from GE to perform more frequent sonic inspections, though not sure it applies to this particular GE jet engine. Southwest has a fairly impeccable safety record, so I'd be a bit surprised if it turns out they missed an airworthiness directive.

blk02edge

Established Member
Rip to the woman who drew the most unlucky number imaginable but thankfully the plane landed. Ive flown a lot and can not imagine going through that. Worst nightmare

Tifosi2003GT

Established Member
From what I'm reading she died from her head injuries. Her waist up was outside the plane and another passenger pulled her back in.. That sucks!!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
One reason to always keep you seat belt on
That was my exact thought yesterday.

Yeah, very sad that the passenger died. She was in bad shape when the plane landed so I wasn't shocked to hear the news. Hats off to the (ex-Navy) pilot. She was might calm under the pressure of losing an entire engine. She did great.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
As an aviation enthusiast, it always sucks to hear about things like this. This flight had the right air crew on the right day, thankfully.

I really wonder what the root cause of the cracking could be. I know the 737 package as a whole is a low to the ground aircraft. Engine design and even main landing gear design is effected by the design principle.

Is it possible the engines on these heavier 700 and up series models have engines that have to spin their turbines and fans faster to make the power to get them and keep them airborne?

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
I fly southwest every month for work.

Those were windows are SMALL.

Can’t imagine the upper half of your body fitting through it.

I’d imagine she had some pretty severe injuries.

So sad.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Ford>Chevy

Established Member
As an aviation enthusiast, it always sucks to hear about things like this. This flight had the right air crew on the right day, thankfully.

I really wonder what the root cause of the cracking could be. I know the 737 package as a whole is a low to the ground aircraft. Engine design and even main landing gear design is effected by the design principle.

Is it possible the engines on these heavier 700 and up series models have engines that have to spin their turbines and fans faster to make the power to get them and keep them airborne?
The Boeing 737-700 (the accident involved aircraft), along with the Boeing 757-200 have some of the best thrust to weight ratios in the commercial industry. It's a common practice amongst the airlines to perform a takeoff at less than max thrust to save wear and tear on the engines if possible (not always the case). If you're looking for videos of a max performance/max power takeoff, go look up a Southwest 737 takeoff at John Wayne Airport (SNA) in California on YouTube. They are quite impressive.

Users who are viewing this thread