solid haters.

Serpentor

Rock Hard Member
Established Member
Originally Posted by Dingleweed

The IRS haters' favorite argument is that the IRS handles "sooo much better" than a solid. Well, they never seem to acknowledge the fact that with just a panhard bar and a decent suspension setup you can make a solid handle better than Ferraris, Beamers, and Porsches. (For you doubters of this claim, clicky here)

I read that road and track article. The MM car was a set up for racing, with R compound tires and super stiff coilover springs. And its got the MM 3 link, not the crappy "quadra bind" stock suspension. While the other cars have street tires. It was also done on a smooth closed track... not regular roads with potholes and bumps.

sonic_4.6

Cobra Commander
Established Member
Nazman said:
IMHO not worth it and will always be in the back of your head..."its going to break!.........lits going to break!".

That is my problem. :( I'm always thinking that I will break another pumpkin. I don't think I will though with the mixture of the weaksauce power I have, and a diff brace.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
Mine hasn't broke yet! 468RWHP and 414RWTQ on DRs. And i drive the shit outta my car

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
NAZMAN. True, the solid will save quite a bit of weight over the IRS, but that comes off the rear of the car, which actually makes the weight distribution even worse for handling. Great N/A and Spray numbers by-the-way, NAZ!!! Could ONLY be a solid for you.

Dingleweed

Grower of dingleberries
Established Member
CobraRed01 said:
NAZMAN. True, the solid will save quite a bit of weight over the IRS, but that comes off the rear of the car, which actually makes the weight distribution even worse for handling.

That's why after doing a solid swap you would go with a tubular K member & coilovers and move the battery to the trunk (ideally). End result --> same weight distribution as an IRS Cobra, but your are over 150+ lbs lighter :coolman:

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
CobraRed01 said:
NAZMAN. True, the solid will save quite a bit of weight over the IRS, but that comes off the rear of the car, which actually makes the weight distribution even worse for handling. Great N/A and Spray numbers by-the-way, NAZ!!! Could ONLY be a solid for you.

All true, but you did forget to mention one thing.

The amount of weight you save on the solid axle is also the amount of unsprung weight you add...which is also bad for handling.

Really though it is just different strokes for different folks.

For somebody more concerned with straight line performance, they probably aren't going to notice any degraded handling, especially on the street where they aren't going to be running the car at 10/10ths.

poneypower

They call me Shipwreck!
Established Member
bad31.jpg

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
Torch10th said:
For somebody more concerned with straight line performance, they probably aren't going to notice any degraded handling, especially on the street where they aren't going to be running the car at 10/10ths.

For the typical person, yes, that's probably true. I switched to solid, and I autocross quite a bit. I didn't notice much of a difference either way. I'll agree on the bumpy road difference though. The IRS really shines then.

99flblackcobra

slow cobra
Established Member
viperbluelx said:
There are LOTS of 03-04 Cobra guys in the 10's and a good many in the 9's with the IRS. Maybe you don't get out much?

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=232316

The fastest 2 new edges have solid axles and the list dont even have Quadcammer and Nazman on it. So it would be the top 4 cars. The IRS is just not for everyone. I perfer to drop the weight and have a built solid axle.

poopy01

My car is slow
Established Member
Well I have both and as they are verry different beasts, I think the irs is a step in the right direction. Just wish ford designed it alittle better. And for my comparison my 89 rear has about every part you can think of to the sum of about 1700 or so in parts, handles great, launches great, rides like shit. Irs with 04 halfshafts, dif brace, all bushings, and 04 cobra irs brace to the sum of about 800 or so launches just as good, handles better, rides much better. If all I was doing was trailering my car to the strip and beating it then the solid is great with some work. But if you drive it at all or want to do more than go in a straight line then the irs is the way to go. both of these included shocks and springs but were not in the totals. To each there own, but if they offered it in the new cobra as an option I would pay for it!!!

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
99riocobra said:
or, the price of a Mach 1 is about $8k-$10k more than a 99/01 cobra. so putting a solid in a new edge cobra seems a lot more cost effective.

Um.....what? You can get a low mileage nice mach for 20-22 (23 TOPS). Some are less than 20. Are teh N/A cobra's that cheap now? I can't find them for less than 16-17. :shrug:

But I do see you point.

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
i guess i over did it a little. but, if you look enough you will find a low mileage one for around 14-15k. 15k + 8k = 23k, which is right on what you said for mach 1 price(the higher end). oh well, point is is that Mach 1's still cost a bit more than a new edge. both are badass cars!:thumbsup:

wallie40

Established Member
It all comes down to taste. Some people like it some people dont. Do what feels right and makes you happy. Past that who cares? We all love our cars(when they run right). :)

On a personal note, the solid swap is the best mod i have ever done. I wish i would have done it before the blower, i may not of gone forced induction.

-pAul

TrueBlueGT

is impressed!
Established Member
ponygt65 said:
Um.....what? You can get a low mileage nice mach for 20-22 (23 TOPS). Some are less than 20. Are teh N/A cobra's that cheap now? I can't find them for less than 16-17. :shrug:

But I do see you point.

My brother picked up his 99 cobra w/ 27K miles in good condition for $14K....and that was back in late fall of 03. If you look, you can find decent n/a cobras pretty reasonable.....much cheaper than a mach 1 at least.

And all of you guys that are STILL arguing about solid v. IRS are just a bunch of morons. It's like arguing whether red or blue is the better color. It's completely subjective and based upon your personal preferences. I love my solid axle. My brother loves his IRS. SO WHAT? ITS NO BIG DEAL!!!

Last edited:

Mach0ne351

Established Member
SanDiego01Snake said:
my IRS is great, hasn't broken yet :)

+1. fools that break their HS (that dont have mad power; ex. blower/nos) have issues driving, and should know better then to put drag radials on the IRS without upgrading it :)

marek

Nazman

Established Member
Mach0ne351 said:
+1. fools that break their HS (that dont have mad power; ex. blower/nos) have issues driving, and should know better then to put drag radials on the IRS without upgrading it :)

marek
Fools? WTH.

It has nothing to do with being a fool. It has to do with the desing and weakness of the system.

My IRS was build with the exeption of the POS 1/2 shafts. Most of the people who has not broken them have not ever done a 1/4 mile pass on a prepped surface and lauched hard or not even hard, just agresive.

It only takes a second and whammmmm! Broke.

Why do I need to baby an IRS on an Enthusiast car? The Vette have theirs right, the Supra guys have them right, why Ford had to put the heavy, POS IRS from the T-Bird into the Cobra? And not just that, one that hops, its heavy as heck, requires lots of $$$ to modify, its weak, and overal not that much improvement in handling over a solid axle? Not to mention all the clunks, clanks, vibes and such that I must rather forget.

Dump the POS and get a solid.

Naz

UCBeau

spend a couple of hundred bucks modding an IRS and it's strong and handles far better than when stock

Users who are viewing this thread