solid haters.

droptopsnake01

N/A FTW!
Established Member
virginiafiveo said:
I have seen 2 people break 3 halfshafts on a 99 cobra over here alone launching on drag radials, and slicks, just in case you want to know the guy that broke 2 broke both of them like tooth pics

VirtualSVT said:
I cracked a CV joint doing a Powershit on DR's on the street

1fastsrt-4 said:
Broke my passenger half shaft last night doing a very light take off.

brkntrxn said:
Yep, get out your pencils you live axle lovers. Chalk me up for another halfshaft in the 01 vert. That's TWO so far!!!

Fdawg97lx said:
i swapped a new one in today. mine broke right after the outter cv joint and there was a small piece stuck in the hub.

suprjagr said:
broke a halfshaft, ouch!!!! waited four hours to run...dropped the clutch at 2k and Boom!

Wicked said:
I've broken an axle in my 31-spline 01 on the street.

96bustang said:
Well with only 3 passes 2 on stock radials, 4800 miles on the car, and NT555 drag radials, from what it looks like i broke the drivers side inner CV. I can't believe this happened so soon. the car only makes 454rwhp/472rwtq.

Hissssnsvt said:
Some of you know I broke ANOTHER halfshaft this past Saturday at Cecil.

69gt4speed said:
I got a few runs in before I broke the halfshaft.

F-Body-Fear said:
I eliminated the wheelhop in my car with urethane throughout, springs, shocks etc... and still broke my stock halfshafts with 285 Dunlop SP9000's. I also broke one Raxle halfshaft.

brkntrxn said:
I broke a halfshaft on the Vert with a bone stock engine and Nitto 275/40/17 DR's.[/ffQUOTE]

BlckSnake said:
i broke my halfshaft on stock f1's slipping the clutch @2200.

blackice said:
That is all bullshit I broke my halfshaft when I was bone stock and now I have 473 at the wheels and I cracks the differential in half.

Jim Vaccaro said:
Broke my Halfshaft with 315/35/17 Nitto's..

bouncer18 said:
2 stock axles and 1 GKN Stage III...

is there anything out there that can hold a descent amount of torque????

Slow03Cobra said:
I broke mine yesterday on the Nitto 315's. It wheel hopped twice, then bang!

Sailing2Smth said:
what did 480lbs/tq say to the halfshaft.........
SNAP!!!

xBlown04x said:
The car did a little wheel-hop and "bang" no axle. I know it's cheap to fix but this sucks. I hpoe i can afford a new Cobra so i can get away from this damn IRS.

Big turkey said:
I looked underneath and saw the green grease on the passenger side control arm area.. so that halfshaft is gone. thank god for MJ's brace cause the rear doesn't look hurt or leaking or anything.

svtcobra20 said:
Bought my 03 Cobra used with 20k on it. Grenaded the center section the first weekend I had it:mj: :mj: :cuss: :kaboom: You could see right through it!!!

wjfawb0 said:
I broke my driver's side center bar doing a burnout at about 18,000 miles. I was at around 458rwhp and 467rwtq. 2.90" RR pulley, K&N FIPK, Borla Stinger catback.

Jerryk said:
I broke outer stub on a pair of Amazon Stage 2's.

gtmustang00 said:
broke a halfshaft on my dads 03 cobra tonight, launching at 4000 rpms's on 275 bfg drag radials. where can i get some new ones that are upgraded? which ones should i get? basically tell me a little about them. thanks

dtd01svt said:
cracked -2nd gear and I broke the drivers side halfshaft!!!

03cobraguru said:
did burn out with no problems got up to line let out clutch at about 4 grand and hit throttle and bam broke half shaft.

itsrlong said:
I had '03 halfshafts in my IRS and launched at 3k and broke a halfshaft.

Did I mention the IRS is wonderful!

Serpentor

Rock Hard Member
Established Member
http://www.racingfanatics.com/2006 Race Home Pages/NASA/Cal Speed Season Opener.htm
The
#91 Maximum Motorsports car with Dave Royce at the wheel, running a IRS suspension
(independent rear suspension) took the pole position for the afternoon race
Sunday Race Results
1. #91 Dave Royce, Maximum Motorsports
2. #73 Gary Umphenour
3. #54 Ryan Walton
4. #117 Patrick Lindsey
5. #99 Andy Bowman
6. #04 Jonathan Witherow
7. #4 Brian McMillan
8. #29 Christine Knight
9. #46 Hal Massey
10. #94 Paul McKee
11. #3 Mike Patterson - crash
12. #7 Vageli Karas-Team Armstrong - out with tranny/mechanical
13. #27 Bill Daffron - out with mechanical
14.J.R. Smith - out with mechanical

not that you straight line driving knuckdraggers care about handling.

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
droptopsnake01 said:
Did I mention the IRS is wonderful!

Dude, give it a rest!

Some of us like the IRS, so what?! Why does that offend you so much? Go find another hobby or better yet, a life! :rollseyes

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
Like everything in the world, there are going to be benefits and drawbacks to both. Both rears CAN break. Both rears can be made to work in a straight line. Both rears can be made to handle. Pick your poison. I've driven solid axle'd Cobras with drag suspension and it is certainly not my cup of tea. I've really been itching to drive a solid axle car that is set up for handling just to compare it to how my IRS is built.

anothersvtguy

Turner of Wrenches
Established Member
Why?

Why are IRS users a threat to solid users and vice versa? I am always amazed at the amount of posts bantering back and forth on this subject.

Run what you like and more power to ya! :beer:

cobraracer46

Banned
All the New edge Cobra guys who like a solid axle set up on their vehicle don't want to admit that they bought the wrong car because there already is a Ford factory build solid axle equipped 4 valve mustang, it's called the Mach 1.:p :poke:

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
cobraracer46 said:
All the New edge Cobra guys who like a solid axle set up on their vehicle don't want to admit that they bought the wrong car because there already is a Ford factory build solid axle equipped 4 valve mustang, it's called the Mach 1.:p :poke:
or, the price of a Mach 1 is about $8k-$10k more than a 99/01 cobra. so putting a solid in a new edge cobra seems a lot more cost effective.

Dingleweed

Grower of dingleberries
Established Member
:eek: Holy crap that is a lot of snappin' and poppin'!!!:eek:

I usually don't get into the little rifts like the solid vs. IRS debate. But the thing that really grinds my goat is that the vast majority of solid haters have never personally experienced the difference between an IRS and a solid in their own car.

I have yet to hear someone who has done the swap to actually say that they were not happy with the results...;-)

The IRS haters' favorite argument is that the IRS handles "sooo much better" than a solid. Well, they never seem to acknowledge the fact that with just a panhard bar and a decent suspension setup you can make a solid handle better than Ferraris, Beamers, and Porsches. (For you doubters of this claim, clicky here)

If you're happy with your IRS, fine. Good for you. Just don't tell me (and other solid converts) that my car is worse off now than before the swap, because not ONE solid swapper will agree with you.

SadisticMystic

Established Member
Dingleweed said:
If you're happy with your IRS, fine. Good for you. Just don't tell me (and other solid converts) that my car is worse off now than before the swap, because not ONE solid swapper will agree with you.

+1 :rockon:

Last edited:

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
best mod i've done to the car. no hop, good handling, less weight. its been great to me, and parts are much cheaper.

fwiw, I broke an Inner Drivers side CV joint with approx 340rwhp on a granny shift from 2 to 3 on normal yoko avs sport 275/40/17 tires

TrueBlueGT

is impressed!
Established Member
I definitely agree with DingleWeed on this one. I hated my IRS in my cobra....every time I'd get on it I was greeted with bubububu sound of wheel hop. I put an 8.8 out of a mach 1 into this car and I love it. I bought this car because I wanted a badass street machine that can rip off some nice passes at the dragstrip too. I don't care if you can take an onramp loop faster than me....I have my r1 to carve corners with. Also, it works out well for me because my brother has a nicely modded 99 that he's set up for road course duty. If I truly feel the need to shred corners in a car, I'm sure I could talk him into letting me pilot his for a while. In the meantime, I still hold my opinion that cars suck because they lean the wrong way in turns.

99flblackcobra

slow cobra
Established Member
IRS is fine if you have a slow car. But how many fast cars do you see running a IRS? I only know one guy with a fast IRS cobra and all the othere fast cobra's have solid axles.

Last edited:

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
Of course, you mean "fast" as in "drop-the-clutch I'll beat you to the next stoplight fast" as opposed to "I'll pull away from you on the next series of turns fast". Two different worlds. Cobras have come with an IRS since '99....get over it. Put your solid in if you want... just stop griping about the IRS in the Cobra.

sonic_4.6

Cobra Commander
Established Member
Solid swaps are good...
1120tri2.gif

Users who are viewing this thread