Sold a car a regretted it?

1QWK96GT

Thats what she said
Established Member
Good afternoon all!

Have you ever sold a car and regretted it? I have been thinking about selling my ol' 96 Mustang GT. It was my high school car I have had for a LONG time. I have had a lot of memories fun times in the car. At this point all my friends have changed cars like 30 times, but I still got my original car that I have put some work into.

Its a 96 Mustang GT which I know is the bastard child of the mustang world (which I like).

This is the build of the car.

Mods: 2004 Mustang GT motor (5k when installed)
Long tubes
mid pipe
flowmaster catback
Steeda Tri Ax short throw
Weld in sub frame connectors
Upper and lower control arms
Tubular k member
Battery relocation
255 lph hp fuel pump
42 lb injectors
SCT chip
SCT maf
Procharger P1SC on 10 lbs with 3 core intercooler
Raptor shift light
FR500 steering wheel
4.10 gears with speedcal for speedometer
Steeda bump steer kit
Mach 1 brake kit 14” up front
Maximum Motorsports 4 bolt caster camber plates
HID head lights and fog lights
Saleen s281 wing
Cobra front bumper
Cobra hood
Boost gauge/AF gauge
New NITTO 555r's with probably less than 500 miles.
25% tint
Oh and I had the whole car repainted which was 3k and took 8 months so the paint looks like glass in person. I didnt have it painted because of an accident but because of the faded paint these things have.

I kind of want to keep the car but also at this point it is a paper weight, I never drive it. Some of my friends say dont sell I will regret some say "you dont drive it get ride of it".

Kind of torn.

One thought I had was list it for something high and if it sold for that I would have a smile on my face.
So I listed it for 12k and thought to myself I would be FIRM. Well I dont know HOW but a friend saw the ad on facebook (I had the hide from friends selected on the ad) and he started messaging me saying he would give me 10k today. (which honestly I have turned down 10k from strangers). My friend is jumping around ready to run to the bank and give me 10k for it and I told him I MIGHT do it but am SUPER torn.

The thought I have is if I had something like a 6 speed S550 which in my opinion is better all around I would be comfortable letting it go. Also with my car I have never been a fan of the saddle interior which I bought all new interior to swap it to black.

Another thought is could I replace this car for 10k? Like if I was in the market could I get another one comparable for 10k?

Also I know if I keep it I will want to continue putting money into it I will probably never even close get back. I have a built motor for it on a stand, MMR900. I was going to put this motor in it and go turbo but this will be alot more $$$ for the turbo kit, retune, injectors, fuel system, etc.

Pics of the car:

Mustang.JPG

Any advice is appreciated?

1QWK96GT

Thats what she said
Established Member
Sounds like you're going to lose your ass unless you're ready to move on to a better car. BTW your car is a clean sn95, which is hard to come by within itself
Thanks! I was just discussing with a buddy of mine how you don't see these older SN95's on the road anymore which is cool. Honestly in that pic it was still dirty. If I have the car detailed it is super clean.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
definitely not gonna come close to replacing it for that price. Clean AF and you know it inside and out. Unless you're gonna move to a new platform Id keep it. Make it a point to start driving it.

Mine sat for a long time for a variety of reasons and just got used to not driving it, once I took it out and drove it hard a few times it was clear I wasn't getting rid of it

jessie_sanders

Established Member
Keep it and make it a point to drive it.

I had a Silverado SS that just sat for 12 years. I would move it out of the way but never really drive it. One day I really looked at it and was like where the fuxk did all this rust come from! I was afraid the frame was going to snap.

Sent from my motorola razr plus 2023 using Tapatalk

LS WUT

Established Member
I’ve had over 30 mustangs in over the past 10 years. I’m only 31 right now, I can assure you that out of all of my cars the 2 that I miss the most is the car I built when I was 17. I loved the hell out of that car. The price tag that I would give to have it back just for sentimental reasons would be astounding. If you’re like most of us on here it’s about nostalgia. I’ve had every year mustang ever made including cobras, and GT500’s. I loved my 2017 GT. It was all around a great car with the track pack premium. However at the end of the day I love driving my 1988 foxbody, and my 2003 cobra just for the raw feeling you get when driving them. As stated above you WILL NOT find another clean SN95 for $10k. The ones I’m looking at are thru the roof. The SN95 is the last Mustang I need to complete my collection and it seems I’m finding dead ends on clean ones. I can promise you that you’ll kick yourself in the ass a couple years down the road. Especially if you sell it to someone you know. God forbid they crash it, change it all around and make it ugly.

1QWK96GT

Thats what she said
Established Member
I’ve had over 30 mustangs in over the past 10 years. I’m only 31 right now, I can assure you that out of all of my cars the 2 that I miss the most is the car I built when I was 17. I loved the hell out of that car. The price tag that I would give to have it back just for sentimental reasons would be astounding. If you’re like most of us on here it’s about nostalgia. I’ve had every year mustang ever made including cobras, and GT500’s. I loved my 2017 GT. It was all around a great car with the track pack premium. However at the end of the day I love driving my 1988 foxbody, and my 2003 cobra just for the raw feeling you get when driving them. As stated above you WILL NOT find another clean SN95 for $10k. The ones I’m looking at are thru the roof. The SN95 is the last Mustang I need to complete my collection and it seems I’m finding dead ends on clean ones. I can promise you that you’ll kick yourself in the ass a couple years down the road. Especially if you sell it to someone you know. God forbid they crash it, change it all around and make it ugly.
Thanks! I agree to all this :)

01yellercobra

Established Member
The fact that you had to think about it means you're not ready to let it go. When I sold my past cars I was ready to let them go and I honestly don't miss them. For whatever reason I was ready to move on from them.

Personally I'll never sell a car to a friend. No matter how bad they want it. My friends have done that and it just hurts because it's never taken care of the same way.

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
The fact that you had to think about it means you're not ready to let it go. When I sold my past cars I was ready to let them go and I honestly don't miss them. For whatever reason I was ready to move on from them.

Personally I'll never sell a car to a friend. No matter how bad they want it. My friends have done that and it just hurts because it's never taken care of the same way.
This.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
2011 GT500. Bought it from a member here, @Cobra(ed) Up.
Great seller who kept the car in excellent condition.
For some reason, just got the itch for offroading(Raptors) and knew it would of been a dumb decision to have both at that time of my life.
Can't regret going to Raptors, as I'm still driving and offroading them to this day, but man that was a clean 500. Never have seen an used one as in such nice shape.
Wish I could of kept it somehow.

Among my various Raptors, had a clean 2013 Terrain SCAB. Roush charged and was easily a 10-10 inside and outside. Sold it, and the buyer lives somewhat close to me so I see it once every other month.

Users who are viewing this thread