snow meth inj

WDW MKR

Established Member
You must have a huge nozzle(s) or make a ton of runs! :eek: My tank would last a while in my Buick and it held a good bit less than a gallon.

61mmstang94

Established Member
I have had setups with pump/meth inj. and race gas and after using both I would say that I just prefer keeping it simple and running pump gas the majoroity of the time, and when I need to I will simply put race gas in the car when I feel like turning it up.

I like to enjoy my car and between making sure I was going to have enough meth in the tank to do what I wanted to do, and making sure my pump was running, etc. it's really not worth it since I won't be using more than I can make on pump gas on the streets very often to begin with.

I think the meth injection is useless unless you really plan on pushing your car hard all the time on the streets at a level higher than what you can ever make on pump gas. What you need to aks yourself is how much can you make on straight pump gas? Then ask yourself if you will be driving all the time on the street pushing the car balls out at a power level ghigher than what you'll make on your pump limit. There's a place for meth injection, but I fifnd it more useful on a smaller engine (say an evo) that is much more limited on what it will make on pump gas.

Much easier to just run pump when you're out driving around and when you feel the need, stay stocked up on some C16, and fill up with that if necessary.

NoRdO

Established Member
Back to the whole corrosion thing:Methanol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wikipedia said:
One of the drawbacks of methanol as a fuel is its corrosivity to some metals, including aluminum. Methanol, although a weak acid, attacks the oxide coating that normally protects the aluminium from corrosion:

6 CH3OH + Al2O3 → 2 Al(OCH3)3 + 3 H2O

The resulting methoxide salts are soluble in methanol, resulting in clean aluminum surface, which is readily oxidized by some dissolved oxygen. Also the methanol can act as an oxidizer:

6 CH3OH + 2 Al → 2 Al(OCH3)3 + 3 H2

This reciprocal process effectively fuels corrosion until either the metal is eaten away or the concentration of CH3OH is negligible. Concerns with methanol's corrosivity have been addressed by using methanol compatible materials, and fuel additives that serve as corrosion inhibitors.

I wonder if the 49% methanol to 51% water mixture ratio would do anything for the corrosion of the aluminum.

venom1997

Screwed by the Twins
Established Member
Back to the whole corrosion thing:Methanol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I wonder if the 49% methanol to 51% water mixture ratio would do anything for the corrosion of the aluminum.

a 50/50 or close ratio is not corrosive i have been using water meth and have run 4 gallons of it allready and the only thing i notice is how it cleans the carbon and gunk out of the intake:D

brian98svtsnake

Established Member
I'm getting my car ready for the racing season and I'm considering the meth again. I would need to re-locate my IAT. Does the car need to be tuned just for moving the IAT? I would like to use the smallest nozzle without tuning the car just to get the cooling effect. I'm pretty sure that my car makes far less HP at the track than on the dyno. The heat kills my car. I figure with the IAT reading cooler temps, my car would make similar or better HP at the track.

Users who are viewing this thread