Snake identification please.

zak88lx

Future SVT *****
Established Member
Anyone know what kind of snake this is?
Two of them have fallen into my brothers drained pool in Panama.
I would like to know what they are, and if they are possibly poisonous before he jumps in to relocate them.

Thanks! :beer:

snake_zpsvaqv1rp6.jpg

Last edited:

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
Ones that should be shot, burned, shot again, and thrown into a volcano.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

93LITE

Established Member
Looks like a coral snake, pretty sure they are venomous. He better check with people there that know!

03cobra 87GN

Established Member
Thats not a coral from what i can tell. Always remembered a coral snake by "if red meets yellow ur a dead fellow, if red meets black ur ok jack"

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

WOTjunkie

SvtP Resident Asshole
Established Member
It appears to be venomous as it has a bigger head where the venom is produced and stored. But hard to tell on my phone.

Ls2BluGoat

200,000 mile club
Established Member
Anyone know what kind of snake this is?
Two of them have fallen into my brothers drained pool in Panama.
I would like to know what they are, and if they are possibly poisonous before he jumps in to relocate them.

Thanks! :beer:

snake_zpsvaqv1rp6.jpg
Have your brother pet it, and let us know how friendly it is to him.

Shifty Powers

The Shifty Mobile
Established Member
a little zoom in on the snake would be beneficial. If possible. Can you see the belly of it? Does it have a checkered pattern or anything distinguishable to it?

Looks like a Milk Snake to me. Which can resemble a rattler in body and tail.

or a king snake

Does looks quite skinny though. Either way. If you plan on saving it I would call animal control / handler

Last edited:

zak88lx

Future SVT *****
Established Member
a little zoom in on the snake would be beneficial. If possible. Can you see the belly of it? Does it have a checkered pattern or anything distinguishable to it?

Looks like a Milk Snake to me. Which can resemble a rattler in body and tail.

or a king snake

Does looks quite skinny though. Either way. If you plan on saving it I would call animal control / handler

I will see if he can get a better picture, if they are still in the pool.
I have been doing some reading, and found that Panama has over 127 species of snakes, but only 20 of them are poisonous.
They do have some of the dangerous ones: Fer-De-Lance, Bushmaster, Hog-nose viper, Tree viper, Godman's viper, Tropical Rattlesnake, Jumping snake, Coral snake, and Sea snake.

64comet

Established Member
Looks like a type of corn snake. So many different ones throughout the world. But most likely some type of colubrid (kingsnakes, milksnakes, corn snakes, etc) which most aren't venomous and the few that are still can't really hurt a human. As for the person that said "It appears to be venomous as it has a bigger head where the venom is produced and stored." there is nothing correct about that statement. Can't judge the danger of a snake by the size of it's head. Doesn't work that way.

Last edited:

Shifty Powers

The Shifty Mobile
Established Member
I will see if he can get a better picture, if they are still in the pool.
I have been doing some reading, and found that Panama has over 127 species of snakes, but only 20 of them are poisonous.
They do have some of the dangerous ones: Fer-De-Lance, Bushmaster, Hog-nose viper, Tree viper, Godman's viper, Tropical Rattlesnake, Jumping snake, Coral snake, and Sea snake.

I am a moron. Completely overlooked you asking about Panama.. fml

But i still am going with my response. Or a water snake.

Last edited:

TRBO VNM

Hard to tell in the pic. At first I would have thought corn snake, but the pattern further back looks more like rings. Hard to tell, need a better pic. And yeah, you can't tell from just the head.

If it is a king snake, keep it around. They will eat poisonous snakes.

Stateguy

Established Member
Hard to tell in the pic. At first I would have thought corn snake, but the pattern further back looks more like rings. Hard to tell, need a better pic. And yeah, you can't tell from just the head.

If it is a king snake, keep it around. They will eat poisonous snakes.
LOL, I never believed this till I came home to one eating a black snake. I got lucky and caught it on video.

[video]https://youtu.be/qm7WtyAcCB4[/video]

Users who are viewing this thread