Smith and Wesson .40 M&P Shield

Dixarect

Cobro
Established Member
Hi guys. I will be purchasing a concealable gun here in the next few weeks. I've been interested in the S&W for quite some time. Small, versatile, and still quite accurate from what I've read.

Does anyone here actually carry this weapon? Can you tell me some pros/cons of this certain pistol? I want some reviews and stuff you like and do not like about it.

Thanks SVTP,

Trevor

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Can you post a picture of the size of it? I carry a full size M&P 9 and from what I've heard they are pretty comparable but I've never held the Shield. I love my M&P though and have no problems with the size. Ultimately it comes down to not being a bitch about it if you're worried about comfort, concealment concerns is a separate issue. My philosophy has always been mag capacity over caliber size. The damage a 9mm will do physically and mentally to the average person should be sufficient for every day use. You just want to make sure you have enough rounds to inflict that damage because in a violent confrontation you're going to be taken to stress levels you can't imagine. The extra 3-4 rounds you get out of a 9mm may be tthedifference you need to end the situation or save your life.

Last edited:

Dixarect

Cobro
Established Member
Can you post a picture of the size of it? I carry a full size M&P 9 and from what I've heard they are pretty comparable but I've never held the Shield. I love my M&P though and have no problems with the size. Ultimately it comes down to not being a bitch about it if you're worried about comfort, concealment concerns is a separate issue. My philosophy has always been mag capacity over caliber size. The damage a 9mm will do physically and mentally to the average person should be sufficient for every day use. You just want to make sure you have enough rounds to inflict that damage because in a violent confrontation you're going to be taken to stress levels you can't imagine. The extra 3-4 rounds you get out of a 9mm may be tthedifference you need to end the situation or save your life.

I'm pretty sure there is barely a difference in size. The shield comes with a 7+1 mag size. So I'm not too worried about that. How is your 9?

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Dude, you need more rounds if it will be a daily carry. I love my M&P 9. Swapped in the APEX trigger which is available for the Shield too and it's incredible. The tolerances feel very tight and precise which stock was the one thing I noticed and loved about these pistols over all the other brands. Glock feels great too but I've noticed the overly square slide does not sit well with my eyes and makes it hard for me to focus. I was trained on the M9 so I learned to love it but these pistols are leaps and bounds better. I feel a full size pistol allows me to utilize my training and skills best so ill deal with the size when carrying for the added confidence. My 9 is a 17+1 though. That's a huge difference.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
I carried a Shield9 for a while. It's a great little gun that feels good in the hand and shoots nice. It's a great choice for a carry weapon. I prefer 1911 type pistols though and have since switched to a Sig P938 for my primary carry gun.

dino lord

itching to build...
Established Member
I carry a Glock 19 for capacity. Or Glock 42 for when I need small.
Carried a shield previously. They are great guns, but I highly recommend the 9 over the 40. 1 extra round and a ton less muzzle flip. .40 in that small of a gun just causes issues.

Machdup1

Established Member
Hi guys. I will be purchasing a concealable gun here in the next few weeks. I've been interested in the S&W for quite some time. Small, versatile, and still quite accurate from what I've read.

Does anyone here actually carry this weapon? Can you tell me some pros/cons of this certain pistol? I want some reviews and stuff you like and do not like about it.

Thanks SVTP,

Trevor

I carry a shield in 9mm as one of my carry pistols. Great little gun.

Zinc03Cobra

Super Trooper
Established Member
I carry a Glock 19 for capacity. Or Glock 42 for when I need small.
Carried a shield previously. They are great guns, but I highly recommend the 9 over the 40. 1 extra round and a ton less muzzle flip. .40 in that small of a gun just causes issues.

This...

I carry a G19 Gen 4 when I go out of town based solely on round capacity (even with an extra 15rd mag in my pocket). I own both M&P Shield models, 9 and .40. The .40 has become a secondary firearm at work, and the 9mm is what I carry about town with an extra mag in my pocket.

Not very impressed with the trigger on either M&P model, but happy with the way it shoots. The .40 is noticeably snappier than the 9mm. Neither print on my clothing, and I primarily carry inside the waist band on all guns I carry (unless on duty). You can't go wrong buying a Shield.

I also have a G42, and it's a great pocket pistol for the beach or those hotter days when you can't conceal a larger capacity firearm.

here's a little difference in size in some of the guns I carry. G19, Kimber Ultra Carry II w/ crimson trace, M&P 9mm Shield, G42, and a Sig Sauer P238

IMG_0198_zps0f79cdcb.jpg

Last edited:

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
I have Shield in 9 and also a full size M&P 9.

The Shield shoots nearly identically to my full size M&P, which is amazing considering its small size. It's very controllable and accurate. Only complaint I might have is that my hand is a bit too big to properly grip it with the 7 round mag. With the 8 round mag, it's fine though, so those are the only mags I use. If you have normal sized hands, you should be fine with either mag.

sdoo500

Established Member
Carry a 9mm shield everyday. Awesome gun for me. I shot the .40 and 9 before I made a purchase and hated how snappy the .40 was. 9mm is a much better shooting gun especially with an apex kit.

HandBanana

Established Member
Was interested in both the XDS and the Shield(s) when they came out, until I shot each one relatively extensively. One of the benefits of being a firearms enthusiast is you tend to surround yourself with other such folks who usually allow you to try out their new toys. To my dismay, I wasn't too taken with any of these guns.

XDS .45 - It's made in Croatia, which may or may not interest you. Altogether, its a pretty good-looking and decently-made weapon IMO. Feels like a chunk of roughly cut metal in your hand, ergos not a strong point. Shooting it was pretty brutal, as you would expect for a .45 of that size, definitely a solid amount of recoil. I shot two boxes of ammo slowly at 5 rounds per mag bare-handed and it tore my hands up. I found shooting it with a light pair of gloves was the ticket but still not very comfortable to shoot. It was accurate enough, 2"-2.5" groups from 10 and even 25 yards. I have no doubt this thing would save your life if you needed it to, I didn't experience any malfunctions to speak of, just not that great to shoot. Not sure about the 9 model, maybe a whole new animal?

Shield(s) - Solid build quality(kind of biased as I own 3 S&Ws and am a big fan), felt awesome in my hand. I have large hands so most small pistols feel awkward to me but this one was great, especially with the extended mag in. Shooting both the 9 and the .40, I had no alarming complaints. 9 seemed a bit more accurate and comfortable to shoot to me, not too surprising. It was probably my fault because I've seen these things at the range and on videos shoot like nail drivers, but I could not for the life of me hold a really tight group with either caliber. I ended up getting frustrated and shooting my 226 and my buddy's 228 just to re-sort myself and make sure it wasn't me. I think I was so hyped up for these guns to come out that I built them up to an unreachable level in my mind and let myself down when they didn't produce like I wanted. Overall, like the XDS, I have no doubt it would save your life if push came to guns being drawn but it wouldn't be on my list of choices for CCW.

That being said, I second the notion for a P938(pricey but worth the extra bones), Beretta Nano, or a J frame S&W wheel gun. Good luck and props to you for being another gun-toting American!

Dixarect

Cobro
Established Member
Was interested in both the XDS and the Shield(s) when they came out, until I shot each one relatively extensively. One of the benefits of being a firearms enthusiast is you tend to surround yourself with other such folks who usually allow you to try out their new toys. To my dismay, I wasn't too taken with any of these guns.

XDS .45 - It's made in Croatia, which may or may not interest you. Altogether, its a pretty good-looking and decently-made weapon IMO. Feels like a chunk of roughly cut metal in your hand, ergos not a strong point. Shooting it was pretty brutal, as you would expect for a .45 of that size, definitely a solid amount of recoil. I shot two boxes of ammo slowly at 5 rounds per mag bare-handed and it tore my hands up. I found shooting it with a light pair of gloves was the ticket but still not very comfortable to shoot. It was accurate enough, 2"-2.5" groups from 10 and even 25 yards. I have no doubt this thing would save your life if you needed it to, I didn't experience any malfunctions to speak of, just not that great to shoot. Not sure about the 9 model, maybe a whole new animal?

Shield(s) - Solid build quality(kind of biased as I own 3 S&Ws and am a big fan), felt awesome in my hand. I have large hands so most small pistols feel awkward to me but this one was great, especially with the extended mag in. Shooting both the 9 and the .40, I had no alarming complaints. 9 seemed a bit more accurate and comfortable to shoot to me, not too surprising. It was probably my fault because I've seen these things at the range and on videos shoot like nail drivers, but I could not for the life of me hold a really tight group with either caliber. I ended up getting frustrated and shooting my 226 and my buddy's 228 just to re-sort myself and make sure it wasn't me. I think I was so hyped up for these guns to come out that I built them up to an unreachable level in my mind and let myself down when they didn't produce like I wanted. Overall, like the XDS, I have no doubt it would save your life if push came to guns being drawn but it wouldn't be on my list of choices for CCW.

That being said, I second the notion for a P938(pricey but worth the extra bones), Beretta Nano, or a J frame S&W wheel gun. Good luck and props to you for being another gun-toting American!

Thank you guys very much, with all these reviews I might be switching my opinion to the 9! LOL

Speedwagon

Established Member

Thanks SVTP,

Trevor

I actually have the 9MM Shield and carry it often. I thought about the 40 but when I first shot it, it was too snappy for my taste, but everyone is different. It's a great gun and conceals nicely. I sometimes carry in my back pocket in an uncle mikes holster as a backup weapon when Im carrying my Kimber Ultra IWB. If you wanna know anything thing else just PM me.

Speedwagon

Established Member
I also carried an XDs. Another great gun, but again switched to the P938.
e boh

I also have M and 45 and they are nice pistols but I noticed that they shoot to the left. I thought it was me till I let my nephew have a go at it and he said the same thing. He's a LEO and a weapons trainer.

Dixarect

Cobro
Established Member
I actually have the 9MM Shield and carry it often. I thought about the 40 but when I first shot it, it was too snappy for my taste, but everyone is different. It's a great gun and conceals nicely. I sometimes carry in my back pocket in an uncle mikes holster as a backup weapon when Im carrying my Kimber Ultra IWB. If you wanna know anything thing else just PM me.

Well I'm 19 and 6'0 155lbs so if its snappy for you guys then it sure as hell would be snappy for me. That's why I am considering the 9 now if its that bad for you older (maybe bigger guys) :)

HandBanana

Established Member
Well I'm 19 and 6'0 155lbs so if its snappy for you guys then it sure as hell would be snappy for me. That's why I am considering the 9 now if its that bad for you older (maybe bigger guys) :)

Dang, couldn't even get a handgun in my home state until I was 21. Lucky dog. 155, man I'm gonna send you some protein packs and a few boxes of ammo! :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread