Smith and Wesson .40 M&P Shield

Speedwagon

Established Member
Well I'm 19 and 6'0 155lbs so if its snappy for you guys then it sure as hell would be snappy for me. That's why I am considering the 9 now if its that bad for you older (maybe bigger guys) :)

Im 6'1 230lbs .... I think you'll be happy with the 9MM.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
I have an M&P 40 I carry in the car. I originally shot the 9 and liked it a lot, but the 40 was on sale...:bored: Honestly thinking about selling the 40 and getting a 9 instead LOL My 1911 is a 9 convert, so it'd be nice to have the same ammo. Especially since I lost all my 40.

Zatchmo32v

Established Member
For what its worth, I've done well with my Walther PPS in 9mm.

It has excellent fit and finish, a very nice trigger, and its never been snappy or uncomfortable to shoot. They handle and come apart almost exactly like a Glock, if you like or are used to those. It has a unique safety feature in that you can decock the weapon by removing the backstrap of the grip, not something you typically see in striker fired handguns. Of course, this is sticking point with many people who are worried that the backstrap will come off in a critical moment and leave you with a non-functioning weapon. I am not one of those people, and I've never had any concerns or trouble with the backstrap in two and half years of owning it. Walther offers 8 round mags with an extended grip, 7 round mags with a pinky extension, and 6 round mags that fit flush with the bottom of the grip for maximum concealment. The trouble is finding them, parts and components are not always in stock with internet suppliers. Forget about it with local gun stores.

I carry mine in a Comp-Tac Infidel in the waistband holster in roughly the 4 o'clock position. I highly recommend Comp-Tac for any handgun, they produce great quality Kydex/leather holsters, and my Infidel/PPS combo is light, comfortable, and blends in almost perfectly with my build (6'2" / 215 lbs).

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
Well I'm 19 and 6'0 155lbs so if its snappy for you guys then it sure as hell would be snappy for me. That's why I am considering the 9 now if its that bad for you older (maybe bigger guys) :)

It's legal to buy a handgun under the age of 21 in Indiana????

I didn't think it was legal to buy one under the age of 21 in any state.

Satyr

Established Member
I have the shield 9 and it's now my primary carry weapon. Love the feel and ease of concealment that it offers. I tried a fair number of options before deciding on it and am still happy that I went with the shield.

blackfang

Established Member
The Shield 9 is my primary carry weapon in the summer time as it conceals great in shorts and a T shirt. I love it and easy/fun to shoot.

thebestofindica

Established Member
I've carried a 9mm shield a lot. It's a nice, compact weapon. I did not like the grip and ended up going back to my G19 with US Grunt Gear appendix carry holster like I always do. I've carried over 20 pistols and cannot find a weapon that I prefer more than the G19. The shot timer and targets agree with me.

Teethy

0S0SL0
Established Member
Add another vote for the Shield 9mm. My winter carry, bedside, and truck gun are all .40S&W but they are mid/full frames. The Shield in .40S&W is just a little too exciting for me.

Kiohtee

Established Member
My wife has a Shield 9mm, and it's an awesome little gun! It has something like 250-300 trouble free rounds through it since she bought it December 26th, 2014. I plan on getting one for concealed carry purposes myself.

HandBanana

Established Member
Lots of Shield totin' folks on here. Seems to be pretty much a nation-wide favorite really, never heard anyone say anything truly negative about it.

Go shoot some guns OP and let us know what you end up enjoying the most!

musclefan21

Established Member
Shield .40 is too snappy. I have one. Get springfield xds 9 or shield 9. Xds has my preference.

Plus, if you need more than 8 rounds in an incident, you are already in deep shit.

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
XDs 45 here. It does have a decent amount of recoil but it shoots very straight and never fails. I shoot often so I'm comfortable with it but I did get a pinky finger rest and rubber glove for the grip to minimize the recoil a bit. I don't plan on hanging around for a standoff so I'll rely/hope on accuracy and lethality before I give deuces. I don't remember the last time I read about anyone fighting off multiple threats or plugging one person with 15-19 rounds although I would like to try some of these other guns one day. I'll save my high cap 45 for home defense. ;)

Last edited:

dro

Stock 5.0 w/ mods > *
Established Member
Dumped my shield for an XDS and glad I did. You get what you pay for. My shield had countless fail to feed and fail to eject issues. I hated the trigger on the shield too. The only negative to the XDS I've seen is that if you have a high grip your thumb will rest on the slide release causing it not to lock back on an empty mag. Other than that, the XDS is great.

mcallister

Established Member
Buy something that's comfortable for you to carry and not something that's just going to sit in your night stand because it's tough for you to conceal in whatever you decide to wear that day. I started out with the xds in a 45 and found myself not carrying in much in the summer since it was somewhat hard to conceal with shorts and a t shirt. I have since got myself a glock 42 to carry in the summer and now I use my xds for winter/ cooler weather carry. I do agree carrying something with more rounds but if it's somewhat bulky and going to sit in your night stand I'd rather have 5-6+1 than 0.

Dominion

I'm your Huckleberry..
Established Member
I love mine. It was a wedding gift from my wife.

a406442bf29af5386a5fe736a881b65f.jpg

B0B

Established Member
One thing I hate about the shield is the trigger. Such a long and uneven pull. I stay away from double action pistols, but that is just me. In a life and death situation, having that long trigger pull is going to compromise your accuracy significantly, much more than the recoil of a bigger caliber. The trigger is overlooked by most amateur shooters and it is extremely important.

dino lord

itching to build...
Established Member
One thing I hate about the shield is the trigger. Such a long and uneven pull. I stay away from double action pistols, but that is just me. In a life and death situation, having that long trigger pull is going to compromise your accuracy significantly, much more than the recoil of a bigger caliber. The trigger is overlooked by most amateur shooters and it is extremely important.
I'm not as worried about the trigger on a carry. In the heat of the moment, I highly doubt I'll notice the lacklusterness.

Users who are viewing this thread