Single vs twin

Marvin9075

Established Member
Any advice on boost controllers don’t really want to spend almost 700 on the e boost 2 if I don’t need to … was wondering if the AEM tru boost was any good … I also have an ms3 in the car so not sure how much that will help with all of it.

01yellercobra

Established Member
If you have the MS3 I would just use the boost control that's built in. You'll need a MAC valve to control the wastegate.

Marvin9075

Established Member
Now that I have the car torn down minus the k member what else is needed for the swap ? I have a guy with an 01 cobra who’s trading me some pieces. As of now I am getting his timing cover, alternator , Intake manifold , throttle cable and bracket . Was told that coolant hoses needed to be swapped between me and him as well. Is there any sensors that I will need to swap him ?

01yellercobra

Established Member
Okay cool … know any good tuners for ms3 that do remote tuning? Or anyone in the Dallas area?
Look up Black Fox EFI. Malcolm also tunes the MS3, but last time I talked to him he was pretty busy.

Honestly, it's not that bad. There's a few of us that could help and guide you.

Marvin9075

Established Member
Look up Black Fox EFI. Malcolm also tunes the MS3, but last time I talked to him he was pretty busy.

Honestly, it's not that bad. There's a few of us that could help and guide you.
Steven vanorder from black fox tuned my car but doesn’t do remote tuning anymore he bought a different company. He pointed me in the direction of Andrew from mustang lifestyle and a company called S&S engineering. I’ll try to get in contact with Malcolm then.

Last edited:

01yellercobra

Established Member
He used to tune my car but doesn’t do remote tuning anymore he bought a different company. He pointed me in the direction of Andrew from mustang lifestyle and a company called S&S engineering.
Ok. He's co-owner of DIY now. So he's probably pretty busy.

You already have a good tune then? You're 90% there.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Yeah he was awesome … so with the turbo setup you won’t have to start from scratch coming from the whipple ?
Nope. There's no reason to. You might have to adjust the VE a little due to the nature of the turbo, but nothing major. The start up, warm up, and idle isn't going to change because there's a turbo now. If you're changing injectors you'll have to update the info so the required fuel is correct.

Adding the boost control is just running the wires and opening the table. I think the newer software has boost control already configured. I would recommend turning on boost cut just in case the turbo starts to run away.

Marvin9075

Established Member
This bad boy came in today. Brand new off the Facebook marketplace for 1000 bucks … forced inductions 76/96 1.31 AR v band housing.

Attachments

• IMG_4916.jpeg
    IMG_4916.jpeg
    464.5 KB · Views: 41

Marvin9075

Established Member
Anyone got a pic of what there full exhaust setup looks
Like for a single turbo setup ?

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Anyone got a pic of what there full exhaust setup looks
Like for a single turbo setup ?
Sorry no pic but many guys turn the stock location mid pipe into a Y-pipe and have the single off the turbo then supply a stock style dual exhaust. You can make 1000rwhp with a single 3” exhaust.
-J

Marvin9075

Established Member
Sorry no pic but many guys turn the stock location mid pipe into a Y-pipe and have the single off the turbo then supply a stock style dual exhaust. You can make 1000rwhp with a single 3” exhaust.
-J
Okay cool is there place to pick a y pipe up ? Think I saw one from on3 but I only found it for a foxbody . I am gonna be running a 4 inch down pipe so would that just reduce into a 3 inch y pipe ?

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Congrats on the build, coming together well!

From first hand advice, use the ms3 or similar to get better tuning.

I made the mistake for years of trying to take the stock computer along and finally said forget that and buckeled down for a Holley efi.

We kept blowing timing and reluctor wheels on the stock computer when I’d rev past 7k rpm. (I have built heads/cams)

Put good thought into the computer and engine management side for sure, and go steady once it’s up to dial in small stuff like boost creep or vacuum leaks. Turbo systems love to exploit and run a muck when that stuff slips in, cooling is also gonna be a little different.

If you can find a Lincoln mk8 5000rpm fan, it’s great especially for $300 or less.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Turbo size wise I stepped down from comp 60/62’s to vs racing 58/60’s.

I’ll have those in soon, I drive mainly on the street and don’t have e85 so I wanted the quicker spool and the turbos are so cheap I can replace em vs rebuild em.

Op I quickly read the posts/pages and thought I saw you went to CGfab twin’s? But last few posts show a nice single if I saw right?

Can you clarify/bring me up to speed?

01yellercobra

Established Member
Congrats on the build, coming together well!

From first hand advice, use the ms3 or similar to get better tuning.

I made the mistake for years of trying to take the stock computer along and finally said forget that and buckeled down for a Holley efi.

We kept blowing timing and reluctor wheels on the stock computer when I’d rev past 7k rpm. (I have built heads/cams)

Put good thought into the computer and engine management side for sure, and go steady once it’s up to dial in small stuff like boost creep or vacuum leaks. Turbo systems love to exploit and run a muck when that stuff slips in, cooling is also gonna be a little different.

If you can find a Lincoln mk8 5000rpm fan, it’s great especially for $300 or less.
How did the stock ECU cause the reluctor wheel to blow?

Agreed on the Mark VIII fan. That plus a fan controller is an awesome combo.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
How did the stock ECU cause the reluctor wheel to blow?

Agreed on the Mark VIII fan. That plus a fan controller is an awesome combo.
Haha it didn’t but I sure did by revving to 7500 many times on the stock computer. I knew better but it’s addictive when you have the heads and cams for it

I don’t wanna hijack but I’m excited for the op, looks like a fun build and I just wanna give the most real world feedback I could since it’s his first turbo build. I love turbo builds but the rpm and boost is addictive.

Marvin9075

Established Member
Turbo size wise I stepped down from comp 60/62’s to vs racing 58/60’s.

I’ll have those in soon, I drive mainly on the street and don’t have e85 so I wanted the quicker spool and the turbos are so cheap I can replace em vs rebuild em.

Op I quickly read the posts/pages and thought I saw you went to CGfab twin’s? But last few posts show a nice single if I saw right?

Can you clarify/bring me up to speed?
Ended up going with cg fab single hot and cold side … ms3 came in the car when I bought it a couple years ago so will be staying with that as well.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Single will be plenty great and with tuning and smart plumbing like the cg kit which I assume is forward facing you’ll do great and enjoy it a lot.

Boost controller wise it’s hard to skip past a truboost or similar even though they’re spendy. It’s like building a badass motor and running 87 octane. It’s a vital part. There’s a difference between good and great and it’s a good spot to spend a bit on.

I haven’t worked with ms3 but any tuning that cleanly lets the engine and computer communicate well between 6-8k rpm is a massive move forward over the stock computer. Check and see if it has any ports or ability for additional things like anti lag or no lift shifting programming. Boost by gear or boost by rpm could also be great to help traction in 1st and 2nd.

Marvin9075

Established Member
Single will be plenty great and with tuning and smart plumbing like the cg kit which I assume is forward facing you’ll do great and enjoy it a lot.

Boost controller wise it’s hard to skip past a truboost or similar even though they’re spendy. It’s like building a badass motor and running 87 octane. It’s a vital part. There’s a difference between good and great and it’s a good spot to spend a bit on.

I haven’t worked with ms3 but any tuning that cleanly lets the engine and computer communicate well between 6-8k rpm is a massive move forward over the stock computer. Check and see if it has any ports or ability for additional things like anti lag or no lift shifting programming. Boost by gear or boost by rpm could also be great to help traction in 1st and 2nd.
Yeah I went with the single for simplicity and went with cg fab cause they are awesome and great quality. There kit does come with forward facing headers.

The ms3 has built in boost control just need a MAC valve to go with it. 03sleeper is local to me here in Texas and is gonna be tuning the car.

Users who are viewing this thread