single rear mounted turbo for compound boost setup..

LT1BIRD

Established Member
yes its in a 66 mustang.. its so tight around the headers as i dont have cut shock towers, just notched.. Ive got 600hp now.. the car goes great.. yes I was thinking of just spraying it as thats what i typically do. I was thinking the benift of the compound boost was lower iat temps.. run the KB at 7LB and the other power adder at like 10 lb.. and reduce the heat soaking. Its not a race car strickly street stuff.. Im looking to get it all dialed in at 17LB with my stock motor and then build a new built motor along the way.. obviosly fuel system etc... but get all the fab work done now and keep the boost low... I dont think the belt will slip with the 2 blowers... as they will both be lower boost than a single one at high boost. I have room for the procharger... I saw a guy do it on an ls... it seem to work well. I use hp tuners now... but if i need to I can throw a holley on it as i use them on my bikes.. I am stil in the kicking the idea around stage... I think realistily I am looking for 800hp but I would like more maybe lol the felexablity and ease of a procharger is very appealing.. I like turbos but just so much pluming needed if i end up having to do twins.. now..if that KB is not gonna work with the compound then thats a big deal... any more info on this KB seal leaking at what boost level??

LT1BIRD

Established Member
On the rational side here, any way you could space the K member to fit a larger blower?
I know the 2.6 is like 1 inch longer... It would be rear tight to fit it.. mostly beacuse of the rear inlet setup I have.. i have a remote mounted bypass valve setup on it.. and the longer blower case it gonna hit it i think...

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Take a pic from the front of the engine bay, I see what you’re saying about blower case size. If you had a cowl hood and could get the engine lower could you go to a traditional inlet and run a bigger blower?

Maybe you’ve already checked but the case being 1” longer isn’t the whole story though, is it 1” toward the front of the car with a shorter snout? Maybe

1) I would think a single turbo should be able to get you to 800 with a nice power curve… @badcobra (I think that’s right)

2) belt routing and the stress of turning two blowers might still be a pain in the ass

3) with compound boost kinda sounds like you’re saying 7# from one and 10# from another = 17# but I don’t think that’s how it works. Pulley the kb for 10# for the low rpm torque and turbo set to 17# just forcing that boost through the KB when it spools to make your 17#

4) an f1 procharger or equivalent vortech should get you to 800 as well

LT1BIRD

Established Member
the 2.6 is 1" longer in the back... If i ran a normal inlet like i use too, the 2.6 would fit no issue.. but the whole look of the engine bay would change. I am trying to keep it very clean the way it is. You are correct on the boost numbers.. the KB would be compounding more PSI than that.. on the KB seal issue... is that why I have seen some KB guys who run a line to the snout of the blower and pressureise that so the oil does not leak out??

Attachments

• boost chart.JPG
    boost chart.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 63

03' White Snake

Established Member
the 2.6 is 1" longer in the back... If i ran a normal inlet like i use too, the 2.6 would fit no issue.. but the whole look of the engine bay would change. I am trying to keep it very clean the way it is. You are correct on the boost numbers.. the KB would be compounding more PSI than that.. on the KB seal issue... is that why I have seen some KB guys who run a line to the snout of the blower and pressureise that so the oil does not leak out??
The line on the snout is the older models. KB uses a vented bolt in the pulley to relieve pressure on the recent blowers.

LT1BIRD

Established Member
I wonder at what PSI the kenne bell with start pissing out oil? Thanks white snake.. I dont think I noticed that on my bolt... Is there a way for me to add that line so we can keep the oil in at high psi? Ill have to search this out now... :)

03' White Snake

Established Member
My buddy has a 67’ and it makes 600 on 93 with a Vortech. For simplicity reasons, I’d suggest 1 blower, higher boost and E85 to make the power you are looking for. His car is a show car too. Here are a few of his setups over the years.

0142FAAE-CFDF-4DE5-8664-450E56387AC2.jpeg
B9797FAD-EF13-4072-86D6-A248136D0CB9.jpeg
B29860FF-48CD-4A71-8F09-D1D75B653CC0.jpeg

LT1BIRD

Established Member
that looks great for sure...... but I love my instant blower power... hits like a hammer... but your right. would make it easier.. but if you look at my current setup...nothing ive done is easy lol...

LT1BIRD

Established Member
Looks like I am going to go procharger.. dsc1 drivers side mounted. Feeding into the KB. its gonna take a long time to do it... I am concerned about about the load on the crank snout. ill keep the boost low on this setup but with the new built motor I am wondering if I should use a cank snout support? I am running a 2001 cobra blower kit with the one belt... I will add the blower pulley to the front of my innovators west balancer.. and drive the procharger from that pulley.. think that support will work?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
are you running both just for the sake of doing something different?

A high compression 4valve with cams and procharger will make numbers. Hell, at 10:1 I made 715 on 15# with a whole 19degrees max timing on E85. There are plenty of F series combos 800 and up

LT1BIRD

Established Member
yes bud... just looking to do it a bit diffrent as it will look cool as well... your setup sounds great... I have so many things to upgrade to get it to that level..i am gonna try and leave it at 600hp until i get all the fab work done before I switch over to the whole e85 setup... baby steps..im old..I dont make alot of changed at once any more :)

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
yes bud... just looking to do it a bit diffrent as it will look cool as well... your setup sounds great... I have so many things to upgrade to get it to that level..i am gonna try and leave it at 600hp until i get all the fab work done before I switch over to the whole e85 setup... baby steps..im old..I dont make alot of changed at once any more :)

well thats why I just wanted to clarify - do you want this unique set up or do you want to hit a certain HP goal.

i have no experience with crank snout supports but I would definitely have that conversation with the engine builder. It sounds like you're talking about a renegade setup with the procharger on it's own belt, not many options for that out there I don't think and you may run into spacing issues (ie hit the radiator).

if you do it the other way around with the procharger off the engine accessory belt and KB off a terminator style dedicated drive changing that procharger belt is gonna be absolute misery and those belts dont tend to last a terribly long time before they start slipping if you drive it hard

01yellercobra

Established Member
This is all just my opinion....

In trying to be different you're going to mess up that beautiful engine bay. Looking at where your inlet is currently is going to make it a nightmare to get anything to feed that blower in a clean way. It's going to end up looking like a bundle of snakes in there. And not in the sexy exhaust routing in a Pantera kind of way.

The 2.6 should get you 600 with no problem. If you're willing to go through all this to run a centri or a turbo spending a couple hours taking measurements shouldn't be that big of a deal.

LT1BIRD

Established Member
agree on the enge bay part.. its so clean now.. I would probably run the boost pipe into the fender and up cowl so I can keep the inlet system. That would be phase 2.. but to get it up and running just run a pipe in the engine bay so I get it all working first... the goal is to be diffrent... I would like to hit 1000hp... planning on that as the goal... but thats a ways away... im just gonna keep it at 600... as thats what I have now... then just keep working on it. I think the coyote balance from innovative has the two drives. inside for the 6 rib accessries and 10 rib on the outside..I think the blower only uses 8 so that fine.... I have a vortech off my bike.. I put that in there and it sure looks like I have alot of room...

chada1208

Established Member
save time and headaches and don’t go that rout. Compound are cool and everything but not worth it. If you want to make power just slap an f1x or a big single and send it

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
2 blowers will wreck that crank snout.
Have you ever seen a centri feeding a KB?
But on second thought, proceed as I want to see this train wreck.
Have you physically called KB? The make a 3.2 that’s a turned down rotor pack from the 4.7 in a bored out 2.6 case. That on E85 at 20# should do. Add nitrous for cooling but you won’t need it with E85. That’s 170 proof race fuel according to SRT :)
-J

LT1BIRD

Established Member
03cobra lmao you might be right :) Bimini.. now you have my attention... I am sure i can squeze a 2.6 case in there... with that blower.. how much hp can that make?

decipha

Established Member
You dont feed the turbo in to the blower thats bad.
You feed the blower in to the turbo no problem.

You simply fab up a turbo kit and then put the blower outlet routed in to the turbo inlet with a bypass valve that vents under vac.

/done

your maf still goes in the most optimal location before the throttle body in the middle of the longest straightest length of pipe you have.

A single 76 or 78 would be more ideal.

Tuning it is no different than any other setup any decent tuner can tune it properly no problem.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
2 blowers will wreck that crank snout.
Have you ever seen a centri feeding a KB?
But on second thought, proceed as I want to see this train wreck.
Have you physically called KB? The make a 3.2 that’s a turned down rotor pack from the 4.7 in a bored out 2.6 case. That on E85 at 20# should do. Add nitrous for cooling but you won’t need it with E85. That’s 170 proof race fuel according to SRT :)
-J
That sounds pretty bad ass tbh

Users who are viewing this thread