Since when did Mustangs become hipster cars?

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
I'm not sure that you understand the definition of "hipster."

Rather, do you mean that Mustangs are no longer being owned primarily by people who enjoy wrenching, racing, and wrecking at Mustang Week?
LMAO at the wrecking part, touche' good sir.

It's so much more rewarding when you race people and they realize you aren't power adding.

With that said I eventually plan on a positive displacement somewhere around 700rwhp. It is going to be a daily after all.

But yes, I very much so "am that guy" and have been.
No, no it isn't. Not one time on the street or track has anyone ever lost, and everyone follows up with "well you lost to FI, so it doesn't count".

I've known a few guys who dumped tons of money into having a fast NA car, fast forward years later and every single one has a turbo or blower. Each one is open it was a waste of money only to get worked over by someone with FI.

OP doesn't realize the original 64-1/2 mustang was intended to be a "secretaries car." Plenty of flower power hippies were driving them.

Nothing has changed since then. Vast majority of base (v6 and 4cyl) model mustang owners probably could care less about getting oil on their hands or racing.
Take the average GT/Shelby owner and put them next to the average 4cyl/6cyl owner. They won't have a lot in common. Lot of the base buyers want something that looks cool with decent economy and doesn't think about anything else.

HillbillyHotRod

Hooligan rabble rouser
Established Member
Hipster
Hipsters are a subculture of American consumer for whom the idea behind the marketing holds more value than the product being marketed.

Those who go in for the marketing more then that actual product. These are the one buying into the promotion and do not really give a rat what it is. Thus a lot of the new buyers have no idea the history behind it and only want it because it looks cool. At least to them.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
OK, how does one look hipster-ish? Is it a dress code, or something?

main-qimg-a4eb168335250c0a70e60247c6947f09-c.jpg

Blown 89

Established Member
It's always been a popular car for the young people of each generation. It's been like that since I can remember.

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
Dear Porsche, BMW, <insert car maker here>,

According to SVTP, FI cars break down after a single lap on a road course and become heat soaked just driving out of the pits. Please remember that the next time you build any road course, LeMans, <insert race here> car.

Sincerely,
SVTP

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Dear Porsche, BMW, <insert car maker here>,

According to SVTP, FI cars break down after a single lap on a road course and become heat soaked just driving out of the pits. Please remember that the next time you build any road course, LeMans, <insert race here> car.

Sincerely,
SVTP

LOL, no one said exactly that...A purpose built FI race car that has been engineered, produced by a factory backed team is leaps and bounds different from what you, I, or anyone else here will achieve in our garage.

FWIW I have a vortech v2 tuner kit and certainly don't plan on any road course, lap attack work with it...I am just hoping to get off the D team, maybe make Houston C team.

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
Its not like Mustangs are sold to die-hard gear heads. I see more grannies, moms, office geeks, kids, and wanna-be car guys in Mustangs than I care to admit.

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
As a child of the 60's who drank $2 a six pack beer out of styrofoam coolers sitting in the back seat of Mustangs in the day, I have no idea what any of this discussion is about.

Last edited:

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
I've noticed that foxbodies have become like the E30. They are the funky weird 80's car to have now. Everyone wants that nostaligic but not 60's vibe. 80's seems to be the new in now.

I just like my shit square box and always have. Don't care if it's hipster or not.

Sorry, gotta disagree with the comment on the Foxbody Mustangs. The Foxbody has and will always be a car to have. I bought my first one in high school in 2001. Everybody wanted one even back then!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
Ahh, finally. Some clarification on what we're talking about.

Now, I can confidently say I've never in my life seen anyone dressed like that driving a Mustang. Pretty sure Mustangs aren't hipster cars.

I guess it's better than the Corvette owner look...... White New Balance shoes, blue jeans shorts and retired..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread