Since I can't afford the gt500 market price, say hello to your baby brother

IamMike

exUSAFmike
Established Member
2007 Shelby GT

I justify it all sorts of ways in my head, but it does freak me out to spend so much on a car. But I've been saying I think as far as resale value and collectability that this is the car to have considering

Mine is due to arrive January 19th..so it will be one of the first ones out of the plant and on the street.

heck I'm gonna watch the prices when they start hitting the street, I may just end up selling it if people are gonna pay 10+ over sticker, its not like I'll be driving it in January or February anyway :shrug:

If not, well I have 1 of 6000, and 1 of 3000 manuals. I prob wouldn't want to let it go after I got it anyway

I'll post actual pics when I get the sucker pending the dealer don't try to some how reneg on the deal.

but this is the one I have coming.

615.jpg

Wishing4Cobra

Established Member
Is it going to have the GT badges on the sides? I think it looks nice, honestly nothing really stands out about the car. You should've waited couple more months and get a GT500.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
the gt badge has been changed to powered by ford:

also heard the shelby gt will be only a little less than the gt500. shelby gt price is as 26,370 for the deluxe mustang gt + 2,100 for the ford upfitter package + 7,300 for the shelby work + 1,000 gas guzzler tax. grand total of 36,900 dollars before ttl for a mustang gt with no options not even leather interior. or more than $10k for a normal mustang gt.

the gt500 invoice price + dest and gas tax is 39,000 dollars to give one an idea of the difference in price. i think the shelby gt looks better than the gt500, but for that price 37k and up i would pay 3k(invoice price + 1k) more for the gt500 any day of the week.

Last edited:

IamMike

exUSAFmike
Established Member
hmm i have the premium trim, it has leather seats, w/ interior upgrade package added on prior to Shelby add ons.

again, a lot of what you are buying is the Shelby name + an authentic "shelby". One of the reasons this car appealed to me was for that reason. I LOVE the GT500, but really its only a Shelby by the badges on the car. The biggest disappoint for me on the 500 aside from the ADM's, is that it really is nothing more than a cobra SVT that Shelby whored his name too w/o actually leaving his mark, or company's mark on it..

Don't get me wrong, I'd have got one had they been reasonably priced out on the market. i love the 500. what I don't like is multiple badging of SVT, cobra, and Shelby. I hate all those different badges on one car.

I've also said numerous times that i think in the end the Shelby GT will be the real collector car based off of production numbers and it's actually going to Vegas for them to do their work to it....except for maybe the anniversary GT500 which are going to shelby for modding. I'm glad they are actually offering to touch some of these 500's. But what it boils down to, is Shelby made bank loaning his name to that car w/o doing jacksquat. The car certainly doesn't bring him any embarrassment either..its a beast!

I guess what also appealed to me is that I'll have a car very few others have. I don't need the 500hp, I don't plan to mod the crap out of the engine, I just want a fairly rare car that looks and sounds good. IMO I'm getting just as much as the GT500's as far as optional equipment choices minus the HP which is important to some, and not so much to others.

What would be interesting to watch, is a Shelby GT w/ the super charger option go against a GT500 in 1/4 mile.

Oh and Shelby is coming out w/ a few options you can add to your order including the SC, brake upgrades ,ect....if you think there aren't options for it, then you are badly misinformed.

anyone who own either car is going to be happy as I think both are pretty cool for different reasons.

Last edited:

JiggaStyles09

Established Member
i like the hood on the GT-H better than the fake scoop. other than that everything else looks great on it.

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
bluestreak89 said:
This car will not sell for 10k over sticker.........

Yes it will. Unlike the GT500, this car is in the Shelby Registry. Most likely it will be one of the last production cars that will run through Shelby as an upfit, so you are going to have the Shelby enthusiast all over this car.

IamMike

exUSAFmike
Established Member
bluestreak89 said:

:kaboom: a dealer 40mi from already has bids for 11k over MSRP on ebay right now. :dw:

but hey, YOU're RIGHT :burn:

edit looking at the completed listings

as they start hitting the streets and dealership, the price will probably go up.

Last edited:

2-slow

Say what?
Established Member
bluestreak89 said:
It most certainly will, there will be less of them and they are genuine Shelby cars. I wouldn't be surprised if they command about the same as a GT500.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Red Turtle said:
Yes it will. Unlike the GT500, this car is in the Shelby Registry. Most likely it will be one of the last production cars that will run through Shelby as an upfit, so you are going to have the Shelby enthusiast all over this car.

the gt500 will be in the registry as well. as carroll and amy have both said the gt500 is a "real shelby", and will be in the registry.

iammike i here you on the gt500 aspects. i was dissapointed with the final version of the car. and i like the look of the shelby gt a lot better. i am dissapointed with ford on the price of the shelby gt that is all. all along they were saying that the gt-h cost about 35k with leather and auto. and yet when they bring to the public 3k more than that plus 1k in gas tax. why did hertz get such a great deal on thier cars?
cost compared, nicely optioned mustang gt = $29-30k.
a base gt500 which is nicely optioned = $43k
a nicely optioned shelby gt = $40k

10 grand is lot of money for lightly modded mustang gt. specially considering one can purchase a mustang gt for 27-28 otd today.

chuckstang

Established Member
Neither car will be worth shit in the near future. Buy the car to have fun with, not an investment. If you think the Shelby gt will be worth more than you paid anytime soon, don't count on it. Unless of course you pay msrp and other dealers are charging adms like on the gt500, then I say sell it for a profit and buy the gt500!!!

You are right though, that the gt500 is just the next gen cobra, which is why I love it! Its an evolution from the terminators.

IamMike said:
hmm i have the premium trim, it has leather seats, w/ interior upgrade package added on prior to Shelby add ons.

again, a lot of what you are buying is the Shelby name + an authentic "shelby". One of the reasons this car appealed to me was for that reason. I LOVE the GT500, but really its only a Shelby by the badges on the car. The biggest disappoint for me on the 500 aside from the ADM's, is that it really is nothing more than a cobra SVT that Shelby whored his name too w/o actually leaving his mark, or company's mark on it..

Don't get me wrong, I'd have got one had they been reasonably priced out on the market. i love the 500. what I don't like is multiple badging of SVT, cobra, and Shelby. I hate all those different badges on one car.

I've also said numerous times that i think in the end the Shelby GT will be the real collector car based off of production numbers and it's actually going to Vegas for them to do their work to it....except for maybe the anniversary GT500 which are going to shelby for modding. I'm glad they are actually offering to touch some of these 500's. But what it boils down to, is Shelby made bank loaning his name to that car w/o doing jacksquat. The car certainly doesn't bring him any embarrassment either..its a beast!

I guess what also appealed to me is that I'll have a car very few others have. I don't need the 500hp, I don't plan to mod the crap out of the engine, I just want a fairly rare car that looks and sounds good. IMO I'm getting just as much as the GT500's as far as optional equipment choices minus the HP which is important to some, and not so much to others.

What would be interesting to watch, is a Shelby GT w/ the super charger option go against a GT500 in 1/4 mile.

Oh and Shelby is coming out w/ a few options you can add to your order including the SC, brake upgrades ,ect....if you think there aren't options for it, then you are badly misinformed.

anyone who own either car is going to be happy as I think both are pretty cool for different reasons.

IamMike

exUSAFmike
Established Member
I agree the price is a bit much. and you could buy a GT and do mods yourself and get a faster perhaps better car for less. But IF you had to sell it, you wouldn't get nearly what you put into it not to mention the time you spent having it done.

w/ either Shelby, it will retain its value somewhat if you had to dump it for whatever reason. The name will keep it from depreciating as much as a GT, and certainly more than a GT thats used and has a lot of mods. Of course you shouldn't buy a new car for investment purposes, but I do think they will be worth something some day down the line...which I will have mine even then unless I'm taking an early dirt nap.

One thing thats odd, is according to Amy, the gas tax is not official as far as she is knows, and that was a current post I just saw last night somewhere.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
i hope they dont have a gas tax. amy told me a few days ago that it would be 35.9 for a no option mustang gt shelby package. is there any more word on the ability to make the hood functional? early on amy said there would be a template for the hood scoop to make it functional just like the 66 gt350.

i like the shelby gt and i wanted to purchase one stripped for just over 30k msrp and then do add long tubes, race cam, port polish the heads, add brake ducts and baer brakes. looking to get all that for under 40 otd. now i will look to do that with the 08 bullitt. congrats on your car, mike!:D enjoy it!!!:beer:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Red Turtle said:

There are MANY people who simply don't care whether or not their car is in the Shelby Registry!! :idea: :read:

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
ac427cobra said:
There are MANY people who simply don't care whether or not their car is in the Shelby Registry!! :idea: :read:

I agree, and I wouldn't care either. But what I was saying is that there is a different following for this car, in which I think will create a very similar demand as the GT500.

hope they dont have a gas tax. amy told me a few days ago that it would be 35.9 for a no option mustang gt shelby package.

I don't think you are going to see a base Shelby GT, as most dealers are going to order the cars as premiums not deluxes.

IamMike

exUSAFmike
Established Member
ON D BIT said:
i hope they dont have a gas tax. amy told me a few days ago that it would be 35.9 for a no option mustang gt shelby package. is there any more word on the ability to make the hood functional? early on amy said there would be a template for the hood scoop to make it functional just like the 66 gt350.

i like the shelby gt and i wanted to purchase one stripped for just over 30k msrp and then do add long tubes, race cam, port polish the heads, add brake ducts and baer brakes. looking to get all that for under 40 otd. now i will look to do that with the 08 bullitt. congrats on your car, mike!:D enjoy it!!!:beer:
thanks!

I read yesterday, i think in the shelbyautos forum, someone bitching about why would shelby put something non-functional on the car yadda yadda. and there is a template on the hood you can cut out. She also said something about it not really needing a functional one since its not carb'd.

i think it was her that also said they had to come w/o being function due to something w/ Ford which I don't quite recall the particulars on w/o heading over there and finding it. It should be on the first page of the public Shelby GT forum www.shelbyautos.com which I'm sure you, like everyone here, already knows.

Now me being a mechanical idiot (another reason i didn't want to mod up a GT) I'm not exactly clear on the benefits of being Carb'd on not in relation to a functional scoop. I know the boss packages out now in the after market are the only functional scoops, and they claim a modest 5-15 HP gain?

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
IamMike said:
Now me being a mechanical idiot (another reason i didn't want to mod up a GT) I'm not exactly clear on the benefits of being Carb'd on not in relation to a functional scoop. I know the boss packages out now in the after market are the only functional scoops, and they claim a modest 5-15 HP gain?

its all about the air intake. with the old carberated motors the air intake and filter sat on top of the engine. because of this location the best way to feed the engine was through the top of the hood. hence the hood scoop on many of the muscle cars. the 4.6 air intake is near the fender in front of the engine. additional air to the center of the engine compartment is not going to do anything, unless it is routed to the intakes such as the 03/04 mach 1.
there are those you have designed one off intakes for specific airfilters on top of the the engines to make the funciton air scoops effective. very similar to what subura does on thier wrx series.

Users who are viewing this thread