Show & Tell: What have you accomplished with the added free time?

08mojo

Established Member
Those JBLs are amazing. The horns are an acquired taste, but those and the klipsh have quite the following. Thanks for the kind words. The diy was very rewarding especially when you see what you can buy for the same amount I have in them. Just not the same quality. Their not even using wood veneer anymore. They vinyl wrap or paint black to keep costs down.
I used to love my polk rti 10s, until I heard these. The sound stage is incredible.

If I am lucky enough to keep my job and get through to the other side of this economic downturn, I am definitely going to put together a DIY kit. I may bug you for some guidance.

I had purposely stayed away from horns, as everything I read stated horns were harsh and presented a different sound. I was able to find a dealer that had Klipschorns demos, and I was blown away. There was no harshness, just great clear sound. I took a leap of faith on the JBLs, especially since there was very little info out there. The 4367's are smooth and very, very natural sounding. The takeaway: if you have a chance to hear a nice horn setup, give it a listen!

I will say, the 4367s did need some help on the low end, so what you can't see in the picture is a pair of subs to round everything out.

By the way, how do you look like the emotivas?

I've been very happy with the Emotiva stuff. I have not had any other amps to demo in my own room/setup, but zero complaints with Emotiva. Plenty of power when needed and sound great to my ears.

TerminatoRS

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
I've got limited experience with horns, but what I have found is that they can sound great; you just need to be more aware of placement in relation to the listener's ear. If they're a direct shot, that's when they can get a little harsh/bright.
What subs are you using? I'm a firm believer that any good, well-rounded, and balanced setup needs at least one sub depending on room size. Many multi-woofer speakers can do fairly well, but they just can't deliver the deep, warm notes of a strong sub. One, they're not tuned for it which they shouldn't be. Two, they likely can't move the volume needed while maintaining rigidity. Three, they'd lose overall accuracy.

AssPikle

Established Member
If I am lucky enough to keep my job and get through to the other side of this economic downturn, I am definitely going to put together a DIY kit. I may bug you for some guidance.

I had purposely stayed away from horns, as everything I read stated horns were harsh and presented a different sound. I was able to find a dealer that had Klipschorns demos, and I was blown away. There was no harshness, just great clear sound. I took a leap of faith on the JBLs, especially since there was very little info out there. The 4367's are smooth and very, very natural sounding. The takeaway: if you have a chance to hear a nice horn setup, give it a listen!

I will say, the 4367s did need some help on the low end, so what you can't see in the picture is a pair of subs to round everything out.

I've been very happy with the Emotiva stuff. I have not had any other amps to demo in my own room/setup, but zero complaints with Emotiva. Plenty of power when needed and sound great to my ears.
No problem, pm me when you are ready.

I did try some klipsch but I just couldnt find the sound quality I wanted for my price point. When I went into the store (only one I have is worst buy) all I see is dev techs, Martin's, and b &ws. All of which in my opinion are entry to mid level with ok sound quality. When you want to step up to the next level, nothing is local to see and hear, and they are 4 to 5k at least. I am convinced that for the money I have in mine, nothing can tough them that is new.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
Pulled a drivetrain out of an 03 Cobra. Welded in smooth panels. Built the replacement drivetrain. Getting ready to set it in when it's back from paint.

Then swap the old drivetrain in the GT for my own pleasure.

Meanwhile, installed new lights in the house, redid the back porch, redid the yards, 5 truck loads of old wood and garbage out of the yards. Redoing the fence. Painting the inside. Gutted the kitchen.

I have a lot of projects. It's even worse after COVID came around.

einehund

Established Member
20200423_125531.jpg

Prepping the new kiln to make solid metal liquid!

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Braved Home Depot, stood in line and bought 12 more boxes of flooring, padding, T molding and 48 feet of baseboards. Good fun. Tomorrow, I hit a local place called Site One for fertilizer for my new grass. I think I’m like at least $3K for flooring. I’m providing the labor, that would be me.

mariusvt

Established Member
I really need to get on these garage door insulation kits and the 1/2" rapidair kit sitting in my garage to plumb my modest 20gal HF compressor to the garage and my basement workshop.

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
2c619af17f5766cf0a4d6dd3cab70f14.jpg
c187ddaae668468bd9a20ca455f23856.jpg

With my free time off I yanked out this old tired hurt 2V and breathed new life into the ole girl by having the engine 100% fully rebuilt. Torque plate honed, balanced and polished crank, 1 new rod, all new bearings, gaskets, hardware and all engine accessories replaced. Next project to finish is my custom outdoor patio table.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Great Asp

Established Member
Premium Member
Dear God that shop is ridiculous! Counting dryway and I'm up to 28'. How tall is that place? I would hate to heat that bad boy in the northern climate. Anyway... Winning!
35' under the joists :)

Yeah, we can put in a second floor or a mezzanine in the building.

E

Great Asp

Established Member
Premium Member
View attachment 1636439View attachment 1636440

With my free time off I yanked out this old tired hurt 2V and breathed new life into the ole girl by having the engine 100% fully rebuilt. Torque plate honed, balanced and polished crank, 1 new rod, all new bearings, gaskets, hardware and all engine accessories replaced. Next project to finish is my custom outdoor patio table.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Whoa Mister!

You live in Cali and work on your own car? How many laws did you break? ;)

E

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
I rotate every week home and at a client site with the other engineering staff.

Started picking Android programming back up (solved a vector physics issue that seems to have plagued developers ever since the orientation feature was removed from the API and will be publishing the code on GitHub) and when I found out C# is almost exactly like Java, started teaching myself that. Then, found out that Unity uses C#, so started learning it.

Outside of that, been helping a friend build an interface to the Subaru WRX engine controller in his Factory Five 818 and linking it to a DIY digital dash.

Last edited:

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
Still working on garden box/patio, it's turning into a lot more. Wife had me rough in for hot tube, out door grill and sink, and a green house. This is turning into a summer project and 10 times what said I would spend.
9d8571ad872572d27ab711a4e2a07d0f.jpg
5ace3b59c218990802c0a04906445dc2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

utlong31

Established Member
Still working on garden box/patio, it's turning into a lot more. Wife had me rough in for hot tube, out door grill and sink, and a green house. This is turning into a summer project and 10 times what said I would spend.View attachment 1636673View attachment 1636674

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Wow it looks like you have one hell of a view. Sounds like it’s going to be a nice set up when your done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread