Show & Tell: What have you accomplished with the added free time?

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
I am a funeral director and my family owns the business. Sadly I haven't had a day off in over a month because of how busy we are. So all my projects are on the back burner.

Have industry policies/procedures required many changes because the china virus?

Last edited:

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Another room done. T moldings are on the way. Home desperate was out of them. Master bedroom is next, gonna be a bitch. Move the dressers, disassemble the bed, pull carpet, baseboards and tack strips. Yikes!
F9A03519-99FB-45A5-B55F-8B5ACBD0DA45.jpeg

AssPikle

Established Member
Another room done. T moldings are on the way. Home desperate was out of them. Master bedroom is next, gonna be a bitch. Move the dressers, disassemble the bed, pull carpet, baseboards and tack strips. Yikes!
View attachment 1635138
Yup, that's where I am too. I'm removing carpet and old tile and putting down 8" x 47" plank tile. All in all, it's 1,000 sf.

utlong31

Established Member
Man I think the Home improvement stores are going to make out pretty well through all this. I went yesterday and the line was about a block long. I do a lot of home improvement stuff on the side and haven’t had any calls for about 3 weeks. The last couple of days I’ve had several and started a job for one of them. People are spending that relief check they got. You can’t get anything done in a hurry if you need to pick up supplies. I’ve even done the online curb side pickup but that takes time. I need to get some things today but was told the line is ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nickf2005

Established Member

08mojo

Established Member
I’m working (oil field crap) but it has slowed down so much that the owner has given us a four day weekend the last three weeks so I’ve repainted most of the inside of our house and replaced the baseboards. We bought it 10 years ago and it hasn’t been painted since so it was due a repaint and last summer we had a lot of termite damage so I have been fixing that room by room. View attachment 1634714
Picked up a dresser for free and redid it for my daughter.

View attachment 1634715
View attachment 1634716
View attachment 1634717

Also built her a headboard from some of the redwood left over from my deck I had to tear down because of the termites.
View attachment 1634718
View attachment 1634719

Those all turned out great! How are you applying the finish? Spray gun or all done by hand?

08mojo

Established Member
Most of my projects have been fixing stupid things around a cabin that contractors cut corners on during construction. Perfect example: several doors did not latch correctly. When I took the trim off to adjust the door casing/frame, the door and frame fell out from the wall. Every single interior door on this place are only held in place by the trim....WTF?

I’m far from a master carpenter, but I am a bit of a novice audio nerd. Had the idea/design for these brewing for months, just hadn’t started the build. I had absolutely no need for more speakers, but the components were piling up and I wanted to see if had any clue what I was doing. I’ve built smaller stuff in the past (3-way bookshelves, numerous sub enclosures), but these were quite a bit more involved. I’m biased of course, but they sound better than I could have imagined. I’m convinced even a fairly experienced ear would think they’re a high end brand in a blindfolded listening test.
View attachment 1634253View attachment 1634254

On top of these, I helped the gf spruce up the half bath, painted the inside of the one car side of my garage (Cobra lair), replaced a rear caliper bracket on the Fiesta, gave the lawnmower its annual tuneup and oil change, and sprayed a fresh coat on the patio furniture that was getting faded.

Those look great! I've been itching to try my hand at DIY speakers. I am still learning a lot about measurement of the components to eventually design a crossover network. I really want to build a pair of Klipsch Jubilee copies.

Here are the pics of the anthology's I built. There are 4 photos I embedded, hopefully you can see them all. Was not easy wrapping the walnut veneer around the front but it did pay off.

Those turned out awesome, great job on the cabinets! The more I dig into DIY, I'm thinking a kit would be the right place to start...

In the meantime, I picked up a set of my dream speakers: JBL 4367s. I have been spending quite a bit of time drinking beer and listening to music, and these speakers have really blown me away. One of the many projects on my list is to build a custom cabinet/shelf for all of the equipment (or at least tidy up the wiring).

49798569017_65b4b2a892_k.jpg

utlong31

Established Member
Those all turned out great! How are you applying the finish? Spray gun or all done by hand?

I spray the paint with an HVLP sprayer that I use on lots of projects including doors. The clear coat I used is minwax polycrylic. I put it on top of the paint and the stain in a satin finish. Brushed several coats of it. It’s fast drying so you can start another coat within minutes usually with a lite sanding between but it really protects the finish.

08mojo

Established Member
I spray the paint with an HVLP sprayer that I use on lots of projects including doors. The clear coat I used is minwax polycrylic. I put it on top of the paint and the stain in a satin finish. Brushed several coats of it. It’s fast drying so you can start another coat within minutes usually with a lite sanding between but it really protects the finish.

Thank you, that's more help than you'd imagine.

utlong31

Established Member
Finished my front door this weekend. Someone was giving it away because the finish had faded and peeled. Had to redo the hinge mortis to flip it and make it a right hand open door but it fit perfect other than that.
57a0ff80c596648b05a5770c73230dc2.jpg

Before

After
1dad2522d060cdace88319c55f704034.jpg

Used a little of my stimulus check to buy a new lock set.

utlong31

Established Member
I wish I had free time lol. I still work 12 hrs days during this crap.

Be glad you are. I may be fixing my place up to give it away with the price of oil today. Won’t be much left in this West Texas town. We won’t even be able to give them away. Got us all pretty scared today. I remember as a kid living in Wyoming and the bust in the 80’s when my mom and dad loaded us up in the car to come back to Texas and everything we had left fit in that car. Oh well if it doesn’t kill you it makes you stronger. Need lots of prayers not just for us but for everyone that’s going through a tough time with this.

AssPikle

Established Member
Most of my projects have been fixing stupid things around a cabin that contractors cut corners on during construction. Perfect example: several doors did not latch correctly. When I took the trim off to adjust the door casing/frame, the door and frame fell out from the wall. Every single interior door on this place are only held in place by the trim....WTF?

Those look great! I've been itching to try my hand at DIY speakers. I am still learning a lot about measurement of the components to eventually design a crossover network. I really want to build a pair of Klipsch Jubilee copies.

Those turned out awesome, great job on the cabinets! The more I dig into DIY, I'm thinking a kit would be the right place to start...

In the meantime, I picked up a set of my dream speakers: JBL 4367s. I have been spending quite a bit of time drinking beer and listening to music, and these speakers have really blown me away. One of the many projects on my list is to build a custom cabinet/shelf for all of the equipment (or at least tidy up the wiring).

View attachment 1635305
Those JBLs are amazing. The horns are an acquired taste, but those and the klipsh have quite the following. Thanks for the kind words. The diy was very rewarding especially when you see what you can buy for the same amount I have in them. Just not the same quality. Their not even using wood veneer anymore. They vinyl wrap or paint black to keep costs down.
I used to love my polk rti 10s, until I heard these. The sound stage is incredible.

AssPikle

Established Member

View attachment 1635305
By the way, how do you look like the emotivas?

Users who are viewing this thread