should i bother with a throttle body with my mods?

864svt

powered by svt
Established Member
hey guys,

im going to order a 2.5" pulley for my 2012 gt500 along with an idler, I already have a JLT resonator delete pipe and blue amsoil dry filter.

my question is should I bother with a dual 65mm T/b while running basically a stock intake? I just bought the jlt tube and new filter thinking I wasn't going to tune the car, but the mod bug has bitten me.

will I gain anything?

or sell my jlt tube and grab a proper 127mm JLT intake?

thanks for any advice.

Mike

shelby2

Established Member
Grab the JLT intake and the CJ dual throttle body, You'll love it! What a difference it makes:banana:

nxhappy

Established Member
stock intake and TB, no.

If you get the TB you need to get the intake .

MDShelby

Established Member
Premium Member
Yes on CJ throttle body and intake. You never want to run out of air.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Frankly, they're both overkill with the stock blower and not likely to generate big gains. You'd be better off putting that money toward a TVS.

864svt

powered by svt
Established Member
Frankly, they're both overkill with the stock blower and not likely to generate big gains. You'd be better off putting that money toward a TVS.

even with the pulley?

thanks for the advice guys, maybe ill just save my pennies and Grab the jlt intake

jaiasmit

Established Member
I'm a big fan of supporting mods first. So, if it were me I'd plan on upgrading the heat exchanger before doing a throttle body or intake. The faster you spin the SC, the hotter it's going to get and the computer will start pulling power to keep things going. Keep that charge air cool and you'll keep the power longer. Also, traction mods are going to be crucial to being able to plant all that power to the ground. Nothing sucks like getting butt hurt at a light by a GT, or even worse, and Camaro because you can't stop spinning and stick the wheels to the ground.

So, here's my list. This weekend, new rear LCAs to stop the wheel hop. New tires are on order to be in next week. Already have the Barton shifter ready to go in (no performance gain, but hopefully keep from missing a shift when needed). Next on the list is adjustable rear UCA. Then this http://www.revanracing.com/products/oe-look-2007-2012-gt500-intercooler-reservoir-3x-capacity.html from Revan Racing. Then this http://www.revanracing.com/products...ler-fan-air-to-water-heat-exchanger-kits.html from Revan Racing.

Then I'll be ready to throw some more power into the mix. Might end up going straight to the TVS for me, but there are lots of great ways to add power to these cars.

Just my 2 cents. Hope that helps.

864svt

powered by svt
Established Member
I'm a big fan of supporting mods first. So, if it were me I'd plan on upgrading the heat exchanger before doing a throttle body or intake. The faster you spin the SC, the hotter it's going to get and the computer will start pulling power to keep things going. Keep that charge air cool and you'll keep the power longer. Also, traction mods are going to be crucial to being able to plant all that power to the ground. Nothing sucks like getting butt hurt at a light by a GT, or even worse, and Camaro because you can't stop spinning and stick the wheels to the ground.

So, here's my list. This weekend, new rear LCAs to stop the wheel hop. New tires are on order to be in next week. Already have the Barton shifter ready to go in (no performance gain, but hopefully keep from missing a shift when needed). Next on the list is adjustable rear UCA. Then this http://www.revanracing.com/products/oe-look-2007-2012-gt500-intercooler-reservoir-3x-capacity.html from Revan Racing. Then this http://www.revanracing.com/products...ler-fan-air-to-water-heat-exchanger-kits.html from Revan Racing.

Then I'll be ready to throw some more power into the mix. Might end up going straight to the TVS for me, but there are lots of great ways to add power to these cars.

Just my 2 cents. Hope that helps.

it certainly does help, heat exchanger was on my to do list at the time of the pulley, and im going to place an order for some drag radials from AM for track days.

the more I read, the more I think I should save for a bit, gather the parts and go straight for the TVS.

thanks for your opinions guys.

Silver_Serpent

Established Member
You do not need an intake at this point. The stock intake on a 2012 is pretty good already (about to mid 600 HP level). The throttle body has shown to be more of a restriction and it would serve you better at this point (though maybe not needed, but you will have it for future TVS if that is the way you go). You do not need a new intake with the throttle body. If you are changing the pulley, you need a tune anyway.

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
What he said and +1 on the heat exchanger.

You do not need an intake at this point. The stock intake on a 2012 is pretty good already (about to mid 600 HP level). The throttle body has shown to be more of a restriction and it would serve you better at this point (though maybe not needed, but you will have it for future TVS if that is the way you go). You do not need a new intake with the throttle body. If you are changing the pulley, you need a tune anyway.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Do they make the 113 intake for the 2012.
It comes stock with that size intake. You can check into the FRPP resonator delete to install a cleaner tube than the muffler shaped resonator.

VNMOUS1

Established Member
Hey Mike,

Give a call and let's talk about your thoughts and goals. We'll help you go the right direction.

321 206 9369 x 112 is my direct.

bj

hey guys,

im going to order a 2.5" pulley for my 2012 gt500 along with an idler, I already have a JLT resonator delete pipe and blue amsoil dry filter.

my question is should I bother with a dual 65mm T/b while running basically a stock intake? I just bought the jlt tube and new filter thinking I wasn't going to tune the car, but the mod bug has bitten me.

will I gain anything?

or sell my jlt tube and grab a proper 127mm JLT intake?

thanks for any advice.

Mike

YELL03

Established Member
Get the ford racing 113 intake and the TB, they will work on the tvs if you decide to go that route. I like to stick with ford parts when I can.

Do they make the 113 intake for the 2012.

Catmonkey;14069734[B said:
]It comes stock with that size intake. You can check into the FRPP resonator delete[/B] to install a cleaner tube than the muffler shaped resonator.

I skipped the pulley on the stock blower and went straight to a 13 TVS for my 2011, I kept the stock intake and stock TB, added a FRPP resonator delete and Airaid non-oiled filter for cosmetics. Car made 590rwhp/573rwtq SAE and runs like a beast.
Traps over 124 in the 1/4 with a full tank of gas and short shifting the 1-2 at well under 4000rpms due to lack of traction on street tires. Still ran a [email protected] on a 1.99 60' in 60 degree weather.
A hard 1-2 shift almost put me in the wall at ATCO on my 1st pass.
I am sure it could easily trap 126+ with 1/2 tank and sticky tires.

You'll want to upgrade the intake and TB if you plan on going w/ a TVS.

Not necessarily, I did a 13 TVS and kept stock TB and intake, car runs perfect and is extremely fast.

October132013DynoDay020_zpsfcb1a9a0.jpg

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
As stated stick with the stock intake and add the frpp resonator delete. With a pulley adding the cj65mm will help out.

864svt