Should a spouse be named in parent’s Will?

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
Why is this even a thread?

With all due respect, grab your shriveled balls and tell your wife to calm her tits.

In what dimension is she living in, that she thinks she gets to be entitled to someone else’s property, as they depart from this world?

Crazy. Honestly.
Best post of 2024.

Sent from my SM-S908U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Blown 89

Established Member
Why is this even a thread?

With all due respect, grab your shriveled balls and tell your wife to calm her tits.

In what dimension is she living in, that she thinks she gets to be entitled to someone else’s property, as they depart from this world?

Crazy. Honestly.
Sounds like my ex-wife. If I were the OP that would worry me.

jaxbusa

Established Member
I love the honesty in here. My mom will leave what she wants to whoever she wants and I support her fully. Again, I’m in agreement that it should follow the blood line. That was how I was raised. My wife was wondering why she wasn’t named in it, which sparked a conversation between my wife and I. Our relationships with our in-laws are as if we’re their own, and I understand that most spouses don’t get along. I wanted to check my moral compass so I asked some guys at work. One said my wife should be named and three said no. I figured I ask on here to get to get different points of views because I figured most would feel like me and wanted to see.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

rborden

Established Member
When my died several years back, I learned real quick that a will is absolutely worthless.

Sent from my SM-S908U using the svtperformance.com mobile app
That sucks.

Can you elaborate on this?

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app
If you want to avoid stuff like what Outlaw99 went through, get a trust.

Will's can be challenged. A trust is nearly bulletproof. A trust bypasses the probate process and whatever is in the documents is the end story. About the only way a trust can be challenged is if someone attempts to claim the person who established the trust was not of sound mind. However you can beat that to the punch by having a notarized statement from a doctor or psychiatrist/psychologist addended to the trust stating they were of sound mind and not under duress at the time the trust was made.

The trust ensures no fighting, it divides up the property, assets, belongings and cash/bank accounts as the initiator wishes. That's it. It's done. If you don't like it. Too bad.

FJohnny

Established Member
Imagine your parents, at your request, name your wife in their wills.

Time passes. Like most normal, lazy people they don't update their wills.

Meanwhile, you and your wife split up like around half of marriages do. Don't worry, you meet your real soul mate and are happily remarried.

Your folks pass in a bizarre accident.

You are in grief as you, your current wife and your sibling head to the lawyer's office for the reading of the will. You enter the conference room. Guess who is already sitting at the head of the table?

Your Ex! So nice to see her again after all these years...

(Note: This is purely hypothetical. I'm sure you guys are solid.)

ViperRed91GT

Lightning Guru
Established Member
Imagine your parents, at your request, name your wife in their wills.

Time passes. Like most normal, lazy people they don't update their wills.

Meanwhile, you and your wife split up like around half of marriages do. Don't worry, you meet your real soul mate and are happily remarried.

Your folks pass in a bizarre accident.

You are in grief as you, your current wife and your sibling head to the lawyer's office for the reading of the will. You enter the conference room. Guess who is already sitting at the head of the table?

Your Ex! So nice to see her again after all these years...

(Note: This is purely hypothetical. I'm sure you guys are solid.)
That was exactly my first thought as well.

jaxbusa

Established Member
That was exactly my first thought as well.

This was the point I made to my wife. I made another point of if she should get married again after my death. Naming a spouse muddies the water too much for me and creates an issue of spending more money to update a Will later on.

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
Interesting thread.

My mom got remarried in the early 90s, and my step father has 3 kids from his first marriage. When my mother passed away in 1999, none of the step kids came to her funeral (they lived 30 minutes away at the time), and my step father has not spoken to any of them once since then. I have a feeling they will show up someday with their hands out.

I am very close to my step father. He's a great man.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
I love the honesty in here. My mom will leave what she wants to whoever she wants and I support her fully. Again, I’m in agreement that it should follow the blood line. That was how I was raised. My wife was wondering why she wasn’t named in it, which sparked a conversation between my wife and I. Our relationships with our in-laws are as if we’re their own, and I understand that most spouses don’t get along. I wanted to check my moral compass so I asked some guys at work. One said my wife should be named and three said no. I figured I ask on here to get to get different points of views because I figured most would feel like me and wanted to see.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

You shouldnt be named, just for asking this question… lol.

In all seriousness, not even “blood line” “should be” named….

Your mom can leave it all to the pigeons, if she wants to…. It is HER will.

HER WILL.

FJohnny

Established Member
My mom says the pigeons will just squander it because that's what pigeons do.

She suggests leaving it to the SPCA to do DNA tests to help reunite dogs that were sadly separated from their siblings at birth. That's what she's planning to do.

Users who are viewing this thread