Shorty Antenna

ctgreddy

Established Member
Looks fine to me. I just grabbed a spare from a junk yard for a dollar and cut it, then drilled the little ball out a little wider and glued it on, looks like a stock antenna only half the length. Still get pretty good reception too!

4601S/C

Established Member
Got mine from Amazon for $11.99. Works just as well as the stocker.

mrose75

Established Member
Looks fine to me. I just grabbed a spare from a junk yard for a dollar and cut it, then drilled the little ball out a little wider and glued it on, looks like a stock antenna only half the length. Still get pretty good reception too!

+1, except I wasn't smart enough to grab one at a junk yard and I bought mine at the dealership.:bash:

Blueline

Established Member
I have two antennas if anyone needs them, they are oem. One silver one and one brand new black one. PM an offer if you want to just make one yourself :beer:

03' White Snake

Established Member
I had the 14" from American Muscle. Its almost perfect height to match the roof line.

photobucket-43910-1352061454729.jpg

I now have a shaved antenna with a hidden antenna on the inside of the windshield.

photobucket-50313-1364665385320_zps8ab438aa.jpg

photobucket-48492-1362850855326_zpsff40d124.jpg

SlowSVT

Established Member
A shorty antenna will likely compromise the reception somewhat depending how strong the signal is. Antenna's are usually "tuned" to 1/4 wavelength in the operating frequency for the most "gain" which is why the factory antenna is soo long plus it has to work with SATCOM radio. No biggie, if your in an area with lots of stations you will never notice (if your out in the boonies not-so-much). The factory antenna looks hideous and I seldom used the radio anyhow, the Maggies sound soo much better :)

cj428mach

Established Member
Did cars come with two different color antennas? I think my old car had a black one, and new one is silver. If my new car wasn't such a super low mileage car, I would assume the paint came off or was bleached out.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I have a shorty antenna, never listen to the radio so I may do the delete.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I just cut my factory one.
I did as well. Very simple. Took all of 30 minutes. I cut it to about an inch below the roof line, and in 2 years of use I never had a reception issue. If you go with a very short stubby, you'll likely have occasional issues in area where the reception isn't optimal.

For anyone who wants to shorten their antenna themselves, here are the instructions. How To Shorten Your Factory Antenna

That eBay antenna looks good. American Muscle has 14" and an 8" antennas. 14" IMO is perfect. Shortened with minimal reception loss.

Last edited:

Cobra 2997

Established Member
Did cars come with two different color antennas? I think my old car had a black one, and new one is silver. If my new car wasn't such a super low mileage car, I would assume the paint came off or was bleached out.

Yes, I believe so. Mine had a black antenna, and my friends had a silver one. We're both original owners, and they were like that when bought new.

Users who are viewing this thread