Shop

SGT MERC

Established Member
I'm having a shop built, 40x60 with 12' walls. My brother, who is physically handicapped, will have an apartment 20x40... So my shop will be 40x40. I'm thinking of putting in one 12' wide garage door. I'm looking for opinions on whether I should do this or put in 2 10' wide garage doors. I've never had a stand alone shop, only attached garages. Thank you

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
What type of work will you be doing in the garage? Will you need to bring vehicles into the garage? Ie. cars of various sizes, trucks of various sizes, SUVs of various sizes?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I would do either an 18' wide door, or two 10' doors. A single 12' door isn't near enough for a garage that size, IMO. An 18' door is more flexible, as you can come in and out any way you want without the section between two 10' doors.

this

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Two 10', and go 8' high. You will always appreciate the flexibility that two doors offer over a larger single door.

Both houses I've built have had 9'w x 8'h. Absolutely love 'em.

matab14

pop up and do less....
Established Member
I have same size shop with the single door in front. 10ft tall and I think 12ft wide. It does trick real nice and I have no issues pulling in and out. I love the wider door for backing the trailer in and what not and getting the mower and stuff around the truck.

I will say this, my shop has an additional 8ft door on the perpendicular 60 ft wall side and that really helps with air flow thru as well access to our back yard. It's a shorter door but when I want privacy, l leave the big door shut or cracked that borders the drive and open that smaller one too. I bought it like this, but certainly like whomever thought up that setup. Get lots of compliments on it.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Bad ass! Be sure to start a build thread

+1

- Were you planning on interior door widths of 3'?
- Interior pocket doors can be space savers. I think they should be pretty operable for your brother. IDK, may even be easier to operate than hinged doors for him.
- Will you have 1 or 2 exterior service doors?

andymarkv

Established Member
I have 18' and 9' on the front of a 36x32 garage. Dad has also an 18' door on his garage and we found it useful for bigger projects. Pull the vehicle straight in the middle of the 18' and go to town. (projects like lift kits and engine swaps) So I built mine the same way.
Also gives the flexibility to pull something in at an extreme angle.(not to mention the wife only has to pay attention to one side when parking lol...)

Do you have a layout in your head of what/how things will be positioned inside? That may tell you what & where you need doors.

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
I know for a fact I will be putting in a 4 post lift.

In that case, be sure to take your garage door into consideration. A standard door, when open, could be in the way of the lift when in raised position. Some people do roll up doors, some do the high clearance doors that go pretty much straight up.

SGT MERC

Established Member
Didn't think of that... Thank you
In that case, be sure to take your garage door into consideration. A standard door, when open, could be in the way of the lift when in raised position. Some people do roll up doors, some do the high clearance doors that go pretty much straight up.

Users who are viewing this thread