screw Lowe's

SNCBOOM

Established Member
What sort of gas do you use for your small engines? We try to find ethanol-free gas when available but we always use 93 and an ethanol treatment in our small engines. Most marinas carry ethanol-free gasoline and it should be fairly plentiful in your area.

Last edited by a moderator:

esqeddy

VENUMUS
Established Member
Had my own problem with Lowes recently. Started a backyard project that consisted of a good bit of painting. The old paint was partly oil based, so I bought 5 gallons of white, semi-gloss oil based exterior paint. 4 days later, when I go back to buy more to complete the project, I am told that they no longer carry that paint (and admitted they knew they were going to pull it for a month) and that they had no other oil based semi-gloss white paint of any type!

I was NOT a happy camper. I ask for manager and told him that if they knew they were pulling the paint, they should have told me before selling it to me and leaving me stranded in the middle of a project. He worked with me to locate another store that had not yet pulled their supply and I was able to special order it and have it delivered to the store.

A few observations:

I find that Lowes and Home Depot are both great about letting you make returns.

If you are a vet, you gotta love the 10% discount both provide!

You have to be careful about some of the products they sell. I was shocked when considering vinyl fencing from Lowes and I read some of the feedback. Poor quality stuff.

"Caveat Emptor" is a part of our capitalist culture and still applies.

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
Try buy something worth it, lowes equipment isn't worth buying IMO. I also am a mechanic in the small engine side of the business so I kind of get to see what's decent or not. Btw lowes' policy is their policy. Same thing with where I am employed.

Lowes and home Depot suck in general. Great for a DIY homeowner but for most contractors they blow.

To recap, don't buy something, then let it sit for 6 months and then be mad when it's not working and you try to return it.

You get what you pay for. Anything of any quality is going to cost more then $130 with a combustion engine on it. If you want to save money, buy used brand name tools.

xtrm302

Established Member
When it comes to policy its black and white. I too have had better luck at Home Depot.
Lowes: So we have been shopping for granite counter tops. We give Lowes a try since we were there looking at appliances. They send us to Arizona Tile and Granite (great place!)by DFW airport to check out slabs. We narrow it down to 2 slabs and called the info to Lowes rep. 1 weeks goes by so we follow up only to find out they want $102 and $120 for our 2 choices. We already ruled out Lowes 3 or four days in it due to them not calling us.

So we stop by a hole in the wall flooring and couter top place to checked out their inventory. We told about the Lowes experience and he wanted to see what he could get the 2 different slabs for - so he calls Arizona - hangs up and smiles and says pic one, both at $63 a square foot. Wow - lesson learned.

Users who are viewing this thread