screw Lowe's

wht93gted

Established Member
How are they supposed to know the person who bought it paid $192?

Jesus Christ people this shit isn't hard to understand.

It was still being sold online for $192...the day I was in the store returning it.
I showed the lady my phone, on HomeDepot.com.

But they could only give the "most recent in-store price". Thats bullshit

If it was currently not available anywhere, online or in-store, then yes, I agree; who knows what the person who bought it paid, I'll take my $135 and be on my way. But I could still buy the god damn thing from Home Depot for $192, so thats what I should get for it.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
It was still being sold online for $192...the day I was in the store returning it.

If it was currently not available anywhere, online or in-store, then yes, I agree; who knows what the person who bought it paid, I'll take my $135 and be on my way. But I could still buy the god damn thing from Home Depot for $192, so thats what I should get for it.
You do realize that not all places match their online price right? Online warehouse is one thing, local store's is another thing…..
Doesnt matter what the price is online, local stores don't need to match it unless its in their policy.

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member

It's not bullshit. What if someone bought it for $135 and then returned it and got $192 for it? The store loses nearly $60. That doesn't do them any good. A store isn't in business to lose money.

That's why that policy is in place. Without a receipt, they don't know what the customer bought it for, so they are going to issue a return for what the cheapest price was. It sucks for you, but it's not the store's responsibility to keep the receipt, it's the customer's.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
I was screwed in a similar fashion by Home Depot.

My parents bought me a garage door opener in June 2010. Since it was 1000 degrees all summer, I waited until the fall to install it. As I'm preparing to install, there's a section of instructions with measurements; minimum distance to this, to that, etc.

I realize that I don't have enough space between my door being open & my ceiling for the track to fit.

I hadn't unpacked anything aside from the instructions, so I close the box back up and call my parents to get the receipt; which turns out my dad lost.

So I head back to Home Depot where he bought it in the first place. They tell me "No problem, we can give you store credit without a receipt." I figured it was fine since I shop there all the time. Well, the lady hands me a store credit card for $135; when my Dad paid $192 for it.

I question the $60 discrepancy, and they tell me they can only give whatever amount the product last sold for. Apparently, they stopped selling the item in store, and the last time they sold it in-store, it was on sale for $135. HOWEVER (and this is the part that pisses me off), the door opener was STILL being sold on homedepot.com for the $192. I even pulled it up on my phone right there. They said "sorry, we don't match online prices".

That was it. I made a scene, was asked to leave, took my $135 card. I haven't shopped at home depot since. They even said if I bought it online for $192 and returned it to the store, they'd refund me the full price. It still seems sketchy to me; what they did.

I agree with the OP. Businesses gain customers and loyalty by making things right. It'd be pretty easy for Lowes to see if it was sitting outside for 6 months in the elements OR being stored in the shed for 6 months.

Usually, manufacturers will be pretty good about it though if you stomp and shout enough.

So let me get this straight. You were unhappy with the Home Depot for giving you store credit in the amount of $135 when you were attempting to return a product that:

A) Was being returned outside of their return policy
B) Was being returned without a receipt
C) You didn't even buy

Also note the similarity here with the OP in that you didn't at least check out the product immediately after receiving it. It took you what, 10 minutes to open the box, read the instructions and figure out you didn't have enough space? And somehow that's the stores fault? So you made a scene because they gave you $135 in store credit that you otherwise wouldn't have had at all? A quick check of the box when you received it would have confirmed the size problem and it could have likely been returned without receipt for the full price paid. You're lucky to have been at least given the most recent price at all!

You are the reason companies have to keep and abide by return and refund policies.

Last edited:

rightushook

Hugh Jazz
Established Member
It sounds like they had discontinued it in store so they reduced it till they all sold. That doesn't mean you can't get anymore, just not at that store. Alot of times if a product is discontinued in store you can't get it in the online store, I've find out in the past.

3Dglasses

4.6 Liter rice cooker
Established Member
Policy is policy. I use HD and Lowes and both are very generous with the returns that have.

TrevorR90

Banned
Whenever I buy a product, I usually test it out when I get home... If something breaks and I'm outside of the return policy, I call the manufacturer.. It's that simple, call me a dumbass or whatever, but I'm having a hard time understanding why you guys are mad, you agreed to the policy when you purchased the thing. Its on the receipt when they hand it to you. If you don't like it, return it the same day.. If I was a business owner, I wouldn't take back shit if its outside of my policy..

Fox-4

OFFICER BARBRADY
Established Member

Protip: keep the receipt. And LOL at getting that price. They don't need to price match their online store. Take the store credit or go pound sand.

Tapatalking in my GT/CS

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Policies are pretty cut and dry. Someone always has to try and find a way to circumvent the rules.

Coiled03

Established Member
Businesses gain customers and loyalty by making things right.

When "making things right" goes against company policy, and furthermore, common sense, I'm not really sure what you expect.

You DO realize they're in business to make a profit, right?

People like you and OP find something wrong with every retailer, never noticing the common denominator of all your "problems".......you.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
Store policy... is store policy. It sucks, but that's the way it goes.

I have had the same issues with Home Depot, Menards, etc. Most will not allow the return after 90 days. Hell, even credit cards won't help past 90 days. The guys who work in home and garden would just tell you to buy a new one and return the older one in the new box.

Or you could put new gas in and check the plug/wire. More than likely you could have it running in 10 minutes or less.

most stores have this policy nowadays. its easy to do the old switchaeroo and buy a new one and return the old one as a few people have mentioned. doesnt work for electronics though as they check the serial # and some wont even take it back if the box's seal has been tampered with.

the reason why is there are SOOO many people out there pulling scams on them because of their lax return policies. when i worked at home depot 18 years ago people were trying to return shit HD didnt even sell lol. stuff from sears. let alone all kinds of stupid stuff. a guy was returning tiles and dropped a bunch in the parking lot on his way into the store and they broke apart, and he was still demanding a refund for them. "well if your stupid parking lot wasnt so big i wouldnt have dropped them blah blah blah" lol. so they have to have VERY cut and dry return policies. i know a guy who was arrested for taking shit from inside the store, directly to the return counter and getting cash back for it (back in the day when they would still give you cash). he and his wife did this many many times. they finally got nailed for it. trailer trash type people, not a surprise.

Not a very good comparison. I'm not coming back a year and a half later. I'm 6 months later. The product never ran. It isn't like it was running then broke. When I sell a house I buy a 1 year home warranty to go with it to prevent someone saying I screwed them. Regardless of that, if a person I sold a house to was going to spend $5million(that is about what the percentages work out to) with me the next year, I would put a new a/c system in at my own expense.

As a business man, I wouldn't give up $100k in sales over $130. That is just what I will spend this year.

BTW for those who asked. It was stored in my garage. There is not dirt or rust on it. If it had ever been used there would be paint missing off the blades and scratches on the blades.

here in CA home warrantys are standard/law. we tried to file a claim for the dishwasher that went out. they sent some russian guy who barely spoke english and he barely looked at it and said it was "installed improperly" and it wasnt covered under the warranty. and we had to pay $50 deductible for that lol. and ive heard similar stories from other people. home warranties are a joke.

You're going against a big box store that, unfortunately, worries less and less about the customer as the business grows. This is the world we live in where big businesses are selling other big bussiness' product.

I'm glad I work for a company (who does sell some product to Lowes/HD) that puts the customer first. Today, we had a customer who needed a replacement part for their product that was installed 8-9 years ago. Keep in mind, that our product does come with a lifetime warranty.

Anyway, the couple did the right thing, called the hotline, and got the part shipped to their house. However, the customer service agent did not do his homework correctly, and sent the wrong part. Since these people live "close", they decided to show up at our front door asking for help.

I took their part and spent 15 minutes running around the plant to find the part they needed. Somehow, I was able to find what they needed and they were greatly appreciative.

If that is the case, they should have taken it back, gave you a new one, and sent the defective unit back to the manufacturer. Sounds like you ran into somebody that really didn't know what they were supposed to do.

most companies require the customer to come to them directly for warranty issues. havent you ever opened a product and say if there is a problem do NOT return it to the retailer but contact us directly? yeah right lol. not if it doesnt work the day i bought it. im not waiting a month for that. but if its well past the warranty period than what can you do? thats standard operating procedure pretty much everywhere.

I have a one word future answer to your return problems.

COSTCO.

yep. IF they have what you want. i just bought a pressure washer from them. not even worried about finding out if it works when i eventually have to use it. that's WHY i bought it there. although costco has really clamped down on their warrantys. theyre not even close to as lax as they used to be. and for good reason too. my buddy was given a sick LCD tv because it was broken and he has fixed them himself before. guy said you can have it and do what you want with it. well my buddy knew it came from costco. before tearing into it he decided to see if they would exchange it or anything. tv was like 2 years old at least. they didnt carry that model any more of course and gave him $2000 in cash for it! since he's a member there, that's all they required. no reciept or anything!. good luck getting that now lol.

I have to agree with everyone on this one, policy is policy… Send it back to the mfg, I'm sure they'll make it right…

You'll spend $100k at HD/Lowe's but complain about $130? :shrug:

Regardless of what happens, you'll always be their customer. If HD were to piss you off as well, would you find a new career or suck it up?

Happy flipping.

:beer:

my dad got super pissed at HD way back when in his contractor days. said he was only going to lowes from now on. **** HD etc... and he still says it. but some times he has to go to HD because lowes doesnt have what he needs. HD definitely has more of a selection, especially for real contractor supplies. lowes is more DIYer. im just waiting for him to be pissed off at lowes and add them to his list of stores he'll never shop at again.

he's already got Frys, Best Buy, Walmart and more on the list lol. he's running out of places he can buy stuff at lol. and do they care? of course not. his little "protest" of these companies doesnt make a difference in the slightest. in fact he asked ME to buy him a computer at best buy because he wont shop there any more lol.

To recap, don't buy something, then let it sit for 6 months and then be mad when it's not working and you try to return it.

pretty much. i bought a couple of Christmas air powered lawn decorations on clearance this year. i said we should fire them up asap to make sure they work so we can return them if need be. of course, we didnt get around to it. if they dont work next Christmas i only have myself to :bash:

For the record, Home Depot has the same policy. If the sale is over 90 days you have to contact the manufacturer. The days of Home Depot or Lowe's replacing an item that was purchased 6 months or even a year ago are gone. I believe, though, that the store manager can offer a replacement or discount if he chooses to do so. But that will cut into the store's profits and hurt the store's position. So it would definitely be the exception and not the rule. Costco, as mentioned above, has a more lenient return/replacement policy, but even they are moving to the same policies as Home Depot and Lowe's. I bought a Braun shaver there about 6 months ago. It isn't charging properly. I cannot return it to Costco. I have to deal directly with Braun which means being without a shaver for a couple of weeks if I choose to to send it in for repair/replacement. There was a time when Costco would replace the item no questions asked. It's now more about profit and less about exceptional customer service. I've accepted that fact and just live with it.

Since most people seem to think that I am being unreasonable, how is me asking for $130 problem to be fixed, in loo of my past and future business, any different than you walking into a car dealership and demanding thousands off the sticker or you will buy from their competitor? Everyone expects a car dealer to compensate them thousands of dollars to earn their business for a $30k car. All I want is for Lowe's to compensate my $130 to earn my $80-100k a year worth of business. For those that say compensating me will drive up the cost, I disagree. People like me that buy a lot of product keep the cost down for the customers, who only shop a couple times a month.

car sales are an industrial where it is normal to negotiate deals. although you cant walk into carmax and say ill give you $200 less than your asking price or ill go elsewhere. i mean you can, but you'll be going elsewhere.

The better analogy would be you buying a car and not using it for 6 years, then trying to get the dealer to replace it after you've waited double the original warranty period.

sounds about right.

I was screwed in a similar fashion by Home Depot.

My parents bought me a garage door opener in June 2010. Since it was 1000 degrees all summer, I waited until the fall to install it. As I'm preparing to install, there's a section of instructions with measurements; minimum distance to this, to that, etc.

I realize that I don't have enough space between my door being open & my ceiling for the track to fit.

I hadn't unpacked anything aside from the instructions, so I close the box back up and call my parents to get the receipt; which turns out my dad lost.

So I head back to Home Depot where he bought it in the first place. They tell me "No problem, we can give you store credit without a receipt." I figured it was fine since I shop there all the time. Well, the lady hands me a store credit card for $135; when my Dad paid $192 for it.

I question the $60 discrepancy, and they tell me they can only give whatever amount the product last sold for. Apparently, they stopped selling the item in store, and the last time they sold it in-store, it was on sale for $135. HOWEVER (and this is the part that pisses me off), the door opener was STILL being sold on homedepot.com for the $192. I even pulled it up on my phone right there. They said "sorry, we don't match online prices".

That was it. I made a scene, was asked to leave, took my $135 card. I haven't shopped at home depot since. They even said if I bought it online for $192 and returned it to the store, they'd refund me the full price. It still seems sketchy to me; what they did.

I agree with the OP. Businesses gain customers and loyalty by making things right. It'd be pretty easy for Lowes to see if it was sitting outside for 6 months in the elements OR being stored in the shed for 6 months.

Usually, manufacturers will be pretty good about it though if you stomp and shout enough.

thats common and ive had that happen many times. its what "you"/us get for losing the receipt (or never having it in the first place/gift). they cant take peoples' word that they didnt buy it on black friday and now are returning it to make a profit.

all these policies are in effect because people have done these things. eventually paypal will get rid of the "gift" option because people abuse it. they turned it off on my account a few years ago lol.

It's not bullshit. What if someone bought it for $135 and then returned it and got $192 for it? The store loses nearly $60. That doesn't do them any good. A store isn't in business to lose money.

That's why that policy is in place. Without a receipt, they don't know what the customer bought it for, so they are going to issue a return for what the cheapest price was. It sucks for you, but it's not the store's responsibility to keep the receipt, it's the customer's.

yep

when i worked at home depot 18 years ago a manager told us that they (our store) was losing about $25k a month in "shrink". that includes theft, graft, damage etc... basically lost product/revenue. but they were making SOOOO much money they (HD) didnt care. that was during the boom time and not too long after the big quake we had. obviously as business as dropped tremendously theyve had to sit back and look at ways to cut those losses.

home depot is the big dog in that industry. i wouldnt be surprised if lowes went under in a few years as have many other would be contenders.

verbal

Established Member
Protip: keep the receipt. And LOL at getting that price. They don't need to price match their online store. Take the store credit or go pound sand.

Tapatalking in my GT/CS

Do you guys realize that both stores can search your purchases on your credit card and do not require receipts? I never keep receipts. A lot of these store credit problems could have been solved by giving them the card you purchased everything on.

What's funny about these threads...is that they are never about being done wrong by a said large manufacturer store chain...

What they truly are about...is an insecurere individual...WANTING to make sure...because their spouse or anyone of significance in their life..doesn't reocognize it...makes sure that they are RECOGNIZED because their bread is made by being an independent employer.

Think about it for a second...
Think about the lengths the OP goes to make sure HOW MUCH MONETY HE make it plainly clear that LOWES has from him and HOW HE IS AN Independent contractor and how he just DESERVES preferential treatment because of sales.

The fact is we have many people on this site...who have such a POOR image of themselves...that they look to create threads not because they have been wronged...rather because their self esteem is so LOW they want adoration and praise of others to FEEL better about themselves.

OP is Actually NO DIFFEERRNT THAN PLANTER IN MANY REGARDS.

Last edited:

DRAGUL

Established Member
I got screwed by Home Depot. I bought a bathroom vanity off the shelf from them. Year later the face of it falls off. I go back to the store and was told they will honor the warranty. Told them I did not want another off the shelf vanity and would like to special order a better one so it does not happen again. Now I had to pay upfront for this one due to it being special order. I could still use the sink, so I told them I would return the broken one when the new one arrived.

New one arrives and I bring back the old one. Since the old vanity was a year old they would only give me store credit, even though I had the receipt. Was told the refund could only be used to purchase something else. I argued with them that I did purchase a replacement and to apply the return credit to that purchase. They would not do it stating store policy. So here I have a bill for a new vanity and a 500 dollar store credit.

Though the icing on the cake came a few months later when I tried to return something else. Seems there is a monetary limit on returns. The price of the vanity I returned hit that limit. So for a long time if I wanted to return something I had to wait until they called a store manger and had them come and approve the return.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member

Did they buy it online? No, they bought it at that store. Doesn't matter what the online price is. The last price at that store was $135 and you have no receipt. No one got screwed.

Fox-4

OFFICER BARBRADY
Established Member
Do you guys realize that both stores can search your purchases on your credit card and do not require receipts? I never keep receipts. A lot of these store credit problems could have been solved by giving them the card you purchased everything on.

Nearly every retail store can look up a transaction without receipts, but should they? No, it's the customers responsibility to keep that shit on record. No receipt = not my problem.

Tapatalking in my GT/CS

tistan

Established Member
What's funny about these threads...is that they are never about being done wrong by a said large manufacturer store chain...

What they truly are about...is an insecurere individual...WANTING to make sure...because their spouse or anyone of significance in their life..doesn't reocognize it...makes sure that they are RECOGNIZED because their bread is made by being an independent employer.

Think about it for a second...
Think about the lengths the OP goes to make sure HOW MUCH MONETY HE make it plainly clear that LOWES has from him and HOW HE IS AN Independent contractor and how he just DESERVES preferential treatment because of sales.

The fact is we have many people on this site...who have such a POOR image of themselves...that they look to create threads not because they have been wronged...rather because their self esteem is so LOW they want adoration and praise of others to FEEL better about themselves.

OP is Actually NO DIFFEERRNT THAN PLANTER IN MANY REGARDS.

Lots of incorrect assumptions here. Once again, you show your ignorance. Jesus has given you a lot of incorrect info about me. First I never said a thing about how much I make. My gains are only a small percentage of my how much I spend. Second I never said I am an independent contractor. I do not have a business as a contractor, and other than friends, I don't contract for anyone. Third I'm not self-employed. I don't have a tax ID number, nor do I directly employ anyone. Everything I do is investment.

Lowe's doesn't have to give me preferential treatment, but I don't have to shop there. Fact is Lowe's sold me something that doesn't work. Sure, I am 3 months past the return date but well within the 2 year warranty. I didn't expect a refund, I just expected them to try to make it right in some way or form. When returns wouldn't, I explained to the manager the repercussions for not making it right.

Rob thinks just because he wears jesus on his sleeve he can get away with being a jealous little dick, who has developed a man crush on me. He is actions are really no different than RDJ, other than the RDJ is well thought out and usually accurate when he is being a dick.

Rob, in the future, some punctuation marks and a spell check would help. If I am wrong about anything you said, it is probably due to my inability to comprehend your poorly written post.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread