screw Lowe's

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
No Costco? Go to Menards. The store is just enforcing policy. This has happened to my folks before. They bought a microwave and didn't open it until like 4 months later, damn thing worked for 2 or 3 months and quit. Unfortunately it was out of store warranty so SOL. I would contact the manufacturer and take it as a learning experience. I usually pop things open as soon as I get them now.

Did Menards ever move south? The only time I seen them was when I was in Indiana.

coposrv

Established Member
Lowes and home Depot suck in general. Great for a DIY homeowner but for most contractors they blow.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Not a very good comparison. I'm not coming back a year and a half later. I'm 6 months later. The product never ran. It isn't like it was running then broke. When I sell a house I buy a 1 year home warranty to go with it to prevent someone saying I screwed them. Regardless of that, if a person I sold a house to was going to spend $5million(that is about what the percentages work out to) with me the next year, I would put a new a/c system in at my own expense.

As a business man, I wouldn't give up $100k in sales over $130. That is just what I will spend this year.

BTW for those who asked. It was stored in my garage. There is not dirt or rust on it. If it had ever been used there would be paint missing off the blades and scratches on the blades.

It is a good comparison. It's policy to policy and why I chose a year and a half in your case. Most homes come with a year warranty. Additionally, for a store or you, there's no guarantee of business or repeat business. I can appreciate you being loyal to a company, but the fact remains that again most people use those kind of lines just to get an exception or to pull strings they know theyre just trying to grasp at. It may not be that way in your line of work, but in service and sales it absolutely is. Again those manipulations are why you have policies on returns.

I still think this is misguided anger. Lowes didn't build the faulty machine and your well outside their return policy. Since they don't service parts and machines, you should have gone to the manufacturer first under a warranty claim.

I'll reiterate again though that I feel the manager should have at least made some concessions.

Superhawk2002

Established Member
One of the biggest automotive websites ever... and you still haven't just tried to fix it.

I understand you shouldn't have to do this and once you tear into the engine it's definitely yours, but small engines are very simple. You sound like a mechanically inclined guy (going off your responses and purchases), so tear into it and see what is going on. I would bet the fuel is contaminated. Air, fuel, spark -- one of those things is not happening. Grab your son or daughter and have them fix it with you.

It's a win for everyone. :-D

Just trying to find a positive...

04SVT_COBRA

CO No Mas
Established Member
Customers like you is why I hate working in retail even though it's just a part-time job....

EDIT: Actually, I hate retail for more reasons than just that.

Last edited:

J-Hem

Guy Trilby
Established Member
Since 90 days is up cant you just fix it ? I understand that wasnt the point but small engines are pretty easy to work on. I mean couldnt it be as easy as crappy gas or a plug ?

INNOVATE_1

Part-time Dream Crusher
Established Member
I have to agree with everyone on this one, policy is policy… Send it back to the mfg, I'm sure they'll make it right…

You'll spend $100k at HD/Lowe's but complain about $130? :shrug:

Regardless of what happens, you'll always be their customer. If HD were to piss you off as well, would you find a new career or suck it up?

Happy flipping.

:beer:

Fuzzy Logic

ʎʇıןɐǝɹ ɹnoʎ ʇɔǝɾǝɹ ן
Established Member
Second time they have screwed me in the last year. First time they kind of made right. This time the manager pretty much told me I was SOL. Last November there was this cultivator on sale. It was just a little cheap $130 one for my wife to do her little garden with. We didn't crank it and check it when we bought it.
facepalm.gif
This week my wife is ready to do her garden. She tries to crank it, and has no luck. I tried to crank it with no luck. It didn't even sound like it was firing. I had my wife spray starting fluid in it while I cranked it, and absolutely nothing. We go to take it back. We have the receipt and the thing still looks brand new. They tell us it is over 90 days old their is nothing they can do other than send it out for repair that we would have to pay for. I told the manager I flip homes for a living, and I could go out to my truck and get $20k worth of receipts between Lowe's and Home Depot for the last couple months alone, and I will probably spend $80-100k for the year. I told him, he could make it right, or lose my business forever over a brand new $130 cultivator. I guess keeping good customers happy doesn't mean shit to Lowe's. No wonder their store is always empty and Home Depot is always packed.

i fail to see where lowe's has done anything wrong.

TDUB003

Established Member
I understand your frustration with this but I don't believe Lowe's is in the wrong here. As has been said the manager has no way of knowing what's been done to the motor in the 6 months you owned the product. However, from a business and sales perspective he should have looked up your rewards history or purchases with them and if you have as many purchases as you say you do then take the opportunity to make an exception by offering you in-store credit or allow you to apply the purchase price towards a better model.

From your perspective, I don't believe you've done enough. Closed mouths don't get fed and coming and whining to us isn't going to solve your problem. Clearly they haven't done something to seriously wrong you, they've simply stuck to their outlined return policy which was designed because of the dirt bags who are looking to get a "free rental" on the company's dime.

There's always someone higher up with more authority than the person you're talking to. If you're not happy with the result you need to go back and negotiate until you reach an outcome you can both live with. Most people are either a. truly in the wrong or b. simply not persistent enough when they are right to make something happen. Remain persistent and reasonable, perhaps show them your purchase history with the company so they can see that you aren't trying to scam them. I would be surprised if they aren't willing to work with you.

Catfood

Established Member
I hate shopping there, the customer service is terrible. Always have to wait forever to get propane or paint. Sometimes I stand there at the stations and employees just walk by and keep on going. I have to break skulls and chase after them to get what I need.

slidai

Established Member
Second time they have screwed me in the last year. First time they kind of made right. This time the manager pretty much told me I was SOL. Last November there was this cultivator on sale. It was just a little cheap $130 one for my wife to do her little garden with. We didn't crank it and check it when we bought it. This week my wife is ready to do her garden. She tries to crank it, and has no luck. I tried to crank it with no luck. It didn't even sound like it was firing. I had my wife spray starting fluid in it while I cranked it, and absolutely nothing. We go to take it back. We have the receipt and the thing still looks brand new. They tell us it is over 90 days old their is nothing they can do other than send it out for repair that we would have to pay for. I told the manager I flip homes for a living, and I could go out to my truck and get $20k worth of receipts between Lowe's and Home Depot for the last couple months alone, and I will probably spend $80-100k for the year. I told him, he could make it right, or lose my business forever over a brand new $130 cultivator. I guess keeping good customers happy doesn't mean shit to Lowe's. No wonder their store is always empty and Home Depot is always packed.

To recap, don't buy something, then let it sit for 6 months and then be mad when it's not working and you try to return it.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Being a good customer does come with privileges most places, but a government worker sucking off the tax payers tit would understands very little about doing business.
it does BUT if you were that good of a customer you would have a personal relationship with the manager and he might have taken care of you. Places I do a lot of business with I make sure to develop a relationship with the manager or a couple of the sales folks. that way if I need a rule bent a little I can get it done.

the above being said however. I am not sure I would have treated you any different. youhad the thing for 6 months without starting it up to test it and see if it actually worked. by then the fault is yours and you should not even have bothered to take it back.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I just looked it up, and it does have a two year warranty. Why Lowe's wouldn't send it back to the manufacturer to be fixed is beyond me. They manager offered to send it to a local guy at my expense.
it is not up to lowes to send it back when you have had it for 6 ****ing months. check their return policy. I am betting it is 90 to bring it back or deal directly with the manufacturer yourself. you were twice that

If that is the case, they should have taken it back, gave you a new one, and sent the defective unit back to the manufacturer. Sounds like you ran into somebody that really didn't know what they were supposed to do.
wrong, they probably have an agreement with their supplier of a 90 day return policy and that gets passed along to the customer. after than the customer has to deal with the company directly. it is not that hard or complicated.

Buy a new one and take the old one back in the new box with the new receipt...done.
yes and it is people like you that places like Lowes and HD have the policy they do. you are dishonest and the kind that expect to break the rules with impunity. congratulations you have made the list

Last edited:

rightushook

Hugh Jazz
Established Member
If their policy is 90 days then your SOL. Besides spending 100K a year doesn't make you above anything. Go to the manufacture. Lowe's shouldn't have to give you money back when on the receipt it clearly states 90 day return policy. I don't see how Lowe's not doing this makes them a bad company. They can't just take anything back no question's asked just because "customers are always right" bs.

edit

I doubt they can just simply give you a new one and return the other one and get credit from manufacture. Not after it being so long since it was purchased.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread