screw Lowe's

tistan

Established Member
Second time they have screwed me in the last year. First time they kind of made right. This time the manager pretty much told me I was SOL. Last November there was this cultivator on sale. It was just a little cheap $130 one for my wife to do her little garden with. We didn't crank it and check it when we bought it. This week my wife is ready to do her garden. She tries to crank it, and has no luck. I tried to crank it with no luck. It didn't even sound like it was firing. I had my wife spray starting fluid in it while I cranked it, and absolutely nothing. We go to take it back. We have the receipt and the thing still looks brand new. They tell us it is over 90 days old their is nothing they can do other than send it out for repair that we would have to pay for. I told the manager I flip homes for a living, and I could go out to my truck and get $20k worth of receipts between Lowe's and Home Depot for the last couple months alone, and I will probably spend $80-100k for the year. I told him, he could make it right, or lose my business forever over a brand new $130 cultivator. I guess keeping good customers happy doesn't mean shit to Lowe's. No wonder their store is always empty and Home Depot is always packed.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
As somebody that runs a business, I'm gonna side with Lowe's on this. I think the manager probably could have come maybe half way with you, but you're clearly outside of their return policy. It's your word against theirs in regards to use etc. For all they know you could have left the thing outside in the elements all winter.

There are simply too many individuals who try and take advantage of companies good will and that's why things like return policies exist. A good example is the teenage girl that goes and buys a dress for prom, wears it, but never takes the tags off and tries to return it. There's also tons of people that will literally purchase a product or service, use it, then when they're in a pinch, try to return it or try to refund.

Think of it in these terms. You rebuild a house and install AC. It works when you sell the house to the new owners. A year and a half later they come to you because it doesn't work. You have no idea how or if the unit was maintained properly, you have no idea how much it was used etc. Are you as the builder of that house going to 100% repair/replace that item no questions asked?

If I was in your shoes instead of going back to Lowe's, I'd go direct to the manufacturer to see if they can help you out.

Superhawk2002

Established Member
Store policy... is store policy. It sucks, but that's the way it goes.

I have had the same issues with Home Depot, Menards, etc. Most will not allow the return after 90 days. Hell, even credit cards won't help past 90 days. The guys who work in home and garden would just tell you to buy a new one and return the older one in the new box.

Or you could put new gas in and check the plug/wire. More than likely you could have it running in 10 minutes or less.

cobra199711

Established Member
I'm a Home Depot guy, bought a garage door opener, year later it died, brought it back and they gave me a store credit. I bought a weed eater it was a pos 4 stroke ryobi, it drove me nuts, then 5 months later took it back, they gave me credit. I then turn around and upgrade to a echo. Love Home Depot. As much as you spend they should of given you the dang thing at a nice discount.

Last edited:

nickf2005

Established Member
Contact the manufacturer? They may have a 1 year warranty on it.

Got to love irresponsible people, who think because they spend a lot of money at a store, that they are above a known store policy that others have to respect. Hey OP, you've been rather boisterous in the past about telling people to be responsible. So don't be a hypocrite. Learn to test a product after purchasing it. And quit thinking you are part of a privileged class of some kind because you spend a lot of money at a store chain. That is besides the point.

tistan

Established Member
As somebody that runs a business, I'm gonna side with Lowe's on this. I think the manager probably could have come maybe half way with you, but you're clearly outside of their return policy. It's your word against theirs in regards to use etc. For all they know you could have left the thing outside in the elements all winter.

There are simply too many individuals who try and take advantage of companies good will and that's why things like return policies exist. A good example is the teenage girl that goes and buys a dress for prom, wears it, but never takes the tags off and tries to return it. There's also tons of people that will literally purchase a product or service, use it, then when they're in a pinch, try to return it or try to refund.

Think of it in these terms. You rebuild a house and install AC. It works when you sell the house to the new owners. A year and a half later they come to you because it doesn't work. You have no idea how or if the unit was maintained properly, you have no idea how much it was used etc. Are you as the builder of that house going to 100% repair/replace that item no questions asked?

If I was in your shoes instead of going back to Lowe's, I'd go direct to the manufacturer to see if they can help you out.

Not a very good comparison. I'm not coming back a year and a half later. I'm 6 months later. The product never ran. It isn't like it was running then broke. When I sell a house I buy a 1 year home warranty to go with it to prevent someone saying I screwed them. Regardless of that, if a person I sold a house to was going to spend $5million(that is about what the percentages work out to) with me the next year, I would put a new a/c system in at my own expense.

As a business man, I wouldn't give up $100k in sales over $130. That is just what I will spend this year.

BTW for those who asked. It was stored in my garage. There is not dirt or rust on it. If it had ever been used there would be paint missing off the blades and scratches on the blades.

tistan

Established Member
Got to love irresponsible people, who think because they spend a lot of money at a store, that they are above a known store policy that others have to respect. Hey OP, you've been rather boisterous in the past about telling people to be responsible. So don't be a hypocrite. Learn to test a product after purchasing it. And quit thinking you are part of a privileged class of some kind because you spend a lot of money at a store chain. That is besides the point.

Being a good customer does come with privileges most places, but a government worker sucking off the tax payers tit would understands very little about doing business.

verbal

Established Member
I hate Lowes too but I have to agree that you are outside of their return policy. I did have a garden rake break that I bought from them and they gave me my money back over a year later. The product said 25 year guarantee and they honored it.

tistan

Established Member
I just looked it up, and it does have a two year warranty. Why Lowe's wouldn't send it back to the manufacturer to be fixed is beyond me. They manager offered to send it to a local guy at my expense.

nickf2005

Established Member
Being a good customer does come with privileges most places...

You're going against a big box store that, unfortunately, worries less and less about the customer as the business grows. This is the world we live in where big businesses are selling other big bussiness' product.

I'm glad I work for a company (who does sell some product to Lowes/HD) that puts the customer first. Today, we had a customer who needed a replacement part for their product that was installed 8-9 years ago. Keep in mind, that our product does come with a lifetime warranty.

Anyway, the couple did the right thing, called the hotline, and got the part shipped to their house. However, the customer service agent did not do his homework correctly, and sent the wrong part. Since these people live "close", they decided to show up at our front door asking for help.

I took their part and spent 15 minutes running around the plant to find the part they needed. Somehow, I was able to find what they needed and they were greatly appreciative.

I just looked it up, and it does have a two year warranty. Why Lowe's wouldn't send it back to the manufacturer to be fixed is beyond me. They manager offered to send it to a local guy at my expense.

If that is the case, they should have taken it back, gave you a new one, and sent the defective unit back to the manufacturer. Sounds like you ran into somebody that really didn't know what they were supposed to do.

Last edited:

DRAGUL

Established Member
Less than a year old you should still be under the manufacturers warranty. Why would you have to pay? There may be a repair shop local to you that can repair it under warranty. I would contact the manufacturer.

Last edited:
Being a good customer does come with privileges most places, but a government worker sucking off the tax payers tit would understands very little about doing business.

Yes the return policies should only apply to people who do not own their own business. :rollseyes I love self righteous people who are so proud of themselves and think they should get preferential treatment over someone else, because they generate income differently. Guys like you are trip. Only you 'work hard.' Everyone else just "sucks off the government tit." But you Mr. High and Mighty Contractor are the hardest worker of them all. :rollseyes

mineralgrey01gt

loud-n-slow
Established Member
Try buy something worth it, lowes equipment isn't worth buying IMO. I also am a mechanic in the small engine side of the business so I kind of get to see what's decent or not. Btw lowes' policy is their policy. Same thing with where I am employed.

tistan

Established Member
Yes the return policies should only apply to people who do not own their own business. :rollseyes I love self righteous people who are so proud of themselves and think they should get preferential treatment over someone else, because they generate income differently. Guys like you are trip. Only you 'work hard.' Everyone else just "sucks off the government tit." But you Mr. High and Mighty Contractor are the hardest worker of them all. :rollseyes

Kind of like self righteous people who think they are special because they love jesus? As stated a couple post ago, the product is under warranty.

usmotox

Living the Dream!
Established Member
Gas stabilizer the gas will get old and wet in this type of equipment with a vented gas cap. I change the gas before I try to start any of our stuff. Bought a big turkey baster for the lawn mowers makes it easy.

leo2hot4tv

Established Member
No Costco? Go to Menards. The store is just enforcing policy. This has happened to my folks before. They bought a microwave and didn't open it until like 4 months later, damn thing worked for 2 or 3 months and quit. Unfortunately it was out of store warranty so SOL. I would contact the manufacturer and take it as a learning experience. I usually pop things open as soon as I get them now.

Users who are viewing this thread