Scammed

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Facebook, that's all. She must have given a bunch of info for that to happen. Can you let us know, so others don't do it. Thanks

SHOdown220

Established Member
My wife did something similar a couple years ago. Called to let me know about this crazy good deal she got on a fisher price outdoor playset for like $100. She clicked on a Facebook ad which took her to a vaguely similar site to the real fisher price site.

She had already placed the order before I looked at it and had immediate red flags with the price and a Facebook link. Site had like a gmail email for the contact us and things spelled incorrectly all over. Cancelled the card, disputed the charges which I believe my bank eventually fixed, and ended up receiving a pair of fake ray bans in the mail from the fake company. No clue what that’s about

13BlackGT

Established Member
Facebook, that's all. She must have given a bunch of info for that to happen. Can you let us know, so others don't do it. Thanks

The scammers sent her a message with a link in it. And since she clicked that, the Bank turned off her access to online banking and closed her account made her take her phone to bestbuy geek and reset her phone. They did all that since there was the possibility that they put malware on her phone

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
The scammers sent her a message with a link in it. And since she clicked that, the Bank turned off her access to online banking and closed her account made her take her phone to bestbuy geek and reset her phone. They did all that since there was the possibility that they put malware on her phone

When the bank takes away your access and makes you reset your phone, you know you made a bad decision haha.

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
I got scammed a few years back from a Facebook ad for Alaskan King Crab legs. The advertisement link went to a very well thought out website which appeared 100% legit. I should have known the deal was just too good to be true! It did coincide with a record King Crab harvest that season. My CC company was able to get the money back.

U.M.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Wow, that sucks! I cancelled my FB account years ago, so I no longer use Facebook Marketplace. I do, though, use OfferUp for local sales, and use CASH ONLY. I will never use a payment service with site like FB, Craigs List (which I've never used), or even OfferUp. Facebook and anything related to it SUCKS!

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
You'd think FB would be stricter on scam sites that directly advertise on FB, but nope. **** the users, all about that income.

Too bad all the legit weight loss stuff was banned years ago. Back when you either lost weight or died of a heartattack lol

VegasMichael

Established Member
My wife saw an ad on Facebook for some weight loss stuff and got scammed out of $200 and had to turn her card off and close the bank account. Now she has to get all new checks and a new debit card. Bless her heart, LOL
I'd be careful with the checks too. Check washing has become a huge problem. If I have to send a check in the mail, which is rare, I get a cashiers check from the bank.

JimCSHO

Established Member
You'd think FB would be stricter on scam sites that directly advertise on FB, but nope. **** the users, all about that income.

Too bad all the legit weight loss stuff was banned years ago. Back when you either lost weight or died of a heartattack lol
If you report it to Facebook they do nothing except tell you that the ad "doesn't violate our terms and standards". Which translates to, "as long as they pay to run the ad we don't give a shit if it is a fraud"

CompOrange04GT

Anyone have a strap on my girl can use on me?
Established Member
My wife has had 3 cards in 2 months

She won’t stop buying shit off temu and tiktok shop

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
I'd suggest putting fraud alert on your wife's future cards.

I'd also highly suggest finding a "cyber security" site that you can enroll your wife in to help her understand what to look for in the future.

My work uses this service to train employees. They also send simulated phishing emails and such to keep you in practice, plus required videos to watch every so often.

Not sure if they have any consumer level versions, but it's a start.

Users who are viewing this thread