Sadly, no love for the 99-01 Cobras...

mustangvsix

4 point 6
Established Member
Agreed.

I'm running a Mach1 8.8 with 3.55's and it did have some improvement over the GT 3.27's 8.8 that I used to have, so yeah, I think the 3.55 does offer a little benefit that would tip the scale in a direct comparo.

Gotta remember though that the IRS you guys have is 85-87lbs heavier than a straight 8.8 axle.

IRSvs8.8.JPG

Don't freak out with the above photo. There are no control arms and (upper & lower), no shocks, no calipers/brackets, rotors, etc on the straight 8.8 :bored:

Oh I know we have some extra junk in the trunk but I love my IRS, it rides amazing compared to the straight 8.8 for around town and in my experiences makes the car more fun in the twisties.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
<--- has beaten a light bolt on C5 ZO6, a 2.8 pullied, midpipe, exhaust, and CAI 03, H/C/I 383 LS1 T/A ( ok ok i went 1 and 1 against the fbod)

but it cost me!...all in all though i like being the underdog and i love my 01!

only mach i ever raced was a P1SC charged 03...i beat him twice but not by much...all the ground i gained was on the hit and thank the low end TQ my KB produces for that

here is the vid of me against the T/A
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dOVClQv8ug&feature=related"]YouTube - Havoc vs Double 0[/nomedia]

Last edited:

71catruck

Established Member
The extra weight of the irs hurts a little off the yes. But its so much better in the turns and that weight is a good thing bringing it closed to a 50-50. I have been in some Realy fast cars like ridiculous. But get way more of a rush from the windy roads and that's were this car shines.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
if there isn't as much love, its prolly only because the mid 2000's saw such a large increase in factory hp. but from what i understand they are the most balanced to drive cars of all the svt cobras

2004cobra615

sssvtsnake
Established Member
they might not be the fastest but we were the start of the 03/04 cobra! they owe us for the building block!

Darkc0bra

....Pass
Established Member
they might not be the fastest but we were the start of the 03/04 cobra! they owe us for the building block!

Isn't that the truth :beer: I have much love for all 4v mustangs. I had a chance to buy a Mach and a Terminator at the time I bought my 99 but I didn't want the Terminator since I see them all over. The mach was just a nasty yellow and I wanted the IRS. Underdog....maybe :burnout:

GreySVTSnake01

Established Member

RIO RED SNAKE

4:10's = The Suck
Established Member
unfortunately your cars will always be over looked, they share too many Gt body parts ( V6 hood, gt wing, gt bumper even the 01s with the cobra letters) etc..its a siick car but the gearing sucks which can be changed and idk..love the 01s seats lol.. but they are nice cars just will always be over looked...

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Ported heads, FR500 cams, and 11:1 compression netted me 372 rwhp (over 420 crank HP) at just 6500 rpm. All that on a .020" over bore. The 99-01 engines have HUGE N/A potential.

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
If I was to sell my 97 I would be in the market for a 99/01. I like the front bumper on them a whole lot better than the 03/04's.

cobraetti

part of the zombie squad
Established Member
I like to autocross which i would think the 99/01 would be a better choice. of course its fun to bury the pedal once in a while and the 03/04 will better for that. I still think a N/A 4V sounds the best...

Synyster06Gates

SVT Poster
Established Member
Ported heads, FR500 cams, and 11:1 compression netted me 372 rwhp (over 420 crank HP) at just 6500 rpm. All that on a .020" over bore. The 99-01 engines have HUGE N/A potential.

I'm impressed. Where do you find FR500 cams? What other cams use the stock springs on these cars?

I love my 99. With my gears and small bolt on mods I have no doubt that I can at least hang with if not slowly pull from a Mach.

Last edited:

mustangmanjeff

Established Member
unfortunately your cars will always be over looked, they share too many Gt body parts ( V6 hood, gt wing, gt bumper even the 01s with the cobra letters) etc..its a siick car but the gearing sucks which can be changed and idk..love the 01s seats lol.. but they are nice cars just will always be over looked...
x2 the 99 seats were same as a gt ford ripped off the 99 cobra guys big time least they changed the seats for 2001 and 2003 cobras lol

all well that might be good, but what my car makes with a built motor and that built cobra of yours making 372rwhp a new 2011 5.0 gt can make 370rwhp bone stock and a bolt on 3.7 liter 2011 v6 will make 300rwhp with just bolt ons so its a good bad thing :shrug:

They're dissed on way too much lately.

It is a sad time indeed :(

Even the Mach owners say stock for stock against their's, the 99-01 Cobra is slower.

What do you guys think of this diss-session? :shrug:

I hear you,thats because the technology has come along way, how do you think I feel with my 95 5.0 the " red headed step child of the mustangs " lol 200hp out of a 5.0 v8 is sad in todays standards, same with 320hp out of the 99/01 cobras,I love them all but the new 3.7 liter n/a base model v6 producing 305hp and acura/honda and nissan producing 240-300hp in n/a v6 cars doesnt help it either lol :bash: so now with the stock mustangs making 305-550hp stock makes all the old ones get overlooked esp ever since the 03-04 cobras came out and ford starting finally give stock mustangs over 300hp

hell new base model eco hyundai and kia and honda offer 190-200hp 2.0 liter n/a 4 bangers :( and toyota camrys and ford taurus honda accord they all offer over 170-200hp 4 cylinder base models and 240-300hp n/a v6's when 200-300hp is what are older mustang v8's made with 4.6 liter v8 and 5.0 liter v8's in the gt's and cobras :(

Last edited:

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
all well that might be good, but what my car makes with a built motor and that built cobra of yours making 372rwhp a new 2011 5.0 gt can make 370rwhp bone stock and a bolt on 3.7 liter 2011 v6 will make 300rwhp with just bolt ons so its a good bad thing :shrug:

Im glad Ford brought the coyote DOHC engine out. It took them 12 years of working with mod motors to really get it all figured out. Im just saying there is potential in the ole 99/01 Cobra despite everyone counting them out. Sad that some people can only focus on the new cars, I guess thats just how it is.

Last edited:

mustangmanjeff

Established Member
Im glad Ford brought the coyote DOHC engine out. It took them 12 years of working with mod motors to really get it all figured out. Im just saying there is potential in the ole 99/01 Cobra despite everyone counting them out. Sad that some people can only focus on the new cars, I guess thats just how it is.

Exactly like if some 1 asks you what kind of car do you have? if you say mustang or cobra they say nice and if they ask what year or what kind, if you dont say a new cobra or new mustang or shelby or something thats 500+hp or supercharged they have the look on there face like you told them you drive a kia afterwards lol:shrug: Its like wtf ohhh sorry i cant afford a new 1 or a shelby or 500+Hp lol It's still a nice mustang and 1 of the best sounds of a v8 and still a torque machine lol

Last edited:

GreySVTSnake01

Established Member
Meh, I try not to get too wrapped up in what other people think. I love my '01. I take pride in the fact that everything that has been done to my car I have done myself and the difference between the performance when I bought it stock and now is night and day. Probably a lot of these guys driving $100k sports cars couldn't find the battery if they needed a jump. If I'm being honest would I rather be driving an 03/04 or a new 5.0? Yeah, I would but I'm not prepared to live in a shoebox to make that happen. The car looks and sounds good. I get lots of looks and thumbs up from other Mustang drivers and even the occasional Sti or M3 etc. driver. Run what ya brung.

Users who are viewing this thread