Sadly, no love for the 99-01 Cobras...

CPViolation

Car Crazy
Established Member
I owned a '96 Cobra. No love either even though I was ripping GM cars to pieces.
Same with the '04. GM guys do not take the car seriously.
So best bet is walk a Z06 which I did more than once. But it took 32k to be competitive with a Z06.
Jeff

gforacing1408

Established Member
i just bought an 03 10th anni today, I loved my 01 cobra so much. it was great taking out euro cars in my neighborhood all the time. m3's, c55, e55. sti's (from a roll) and the occasional f body.

I cant wait to break some faster cars with my 03 now.

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
I love my 01, sure all of us want more power but that is only a matter of $$$ and a question of how fast do you want to go. :burnout:

I see it if the 99/01's came with the factory 3.55 gear like the Mach's, I think the drivers race would be shifted more in favor of the cobra.

Agreed.

I'm running a Mach1 8.8 with 3.55's and it did have some improvement over the GT 3.27's 8.8 that I used to have, so yeah, I think the 3.55 does offer a little benefit that would tip the scale in a direct comparo.

Gotta remember though that the IRS you guys have is 85-87lbs heavier than a straight 8.8 axle.

IRSvs8.8.JPG

Don't freak out with the above photo. There are no control arms and (upper & lower), no shocks, no calipers/brackets, rotors, etc on the straight 8.8 :bored:

Last edited:

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
Last edited:

V6&V8SHO

Established Member
I love it. They look at it and go "its just an 01, not that fast"

Then they get a taste of this.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLeSNuALk5g"]YouTube - Cobra flyby.MOV[/nomedia]

71catruck

Established Member
All I can say is I burn on f bodys gto's and mach's all the time. And my motor is pretty stock. The car wasn't made for drag racing its made for handling. With all my suspension I run with c5 Corvettes and porches in the corners all day. And unless it's a brand new m3 its not worth the gas.

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
to each their own..you can build and modify anything to how you want it.

We all play with these cars...so what year/model mustang you have is NOTHING more than a STARTING point.

I have a 96 Cobra that is anything but a '96 cobra'.

BTW...I enjoyed using your intake manifold for a little while! made some fun power with it!

Anything with a Modular 4V in it...is a win in my book! [except terminators...I just don't like 'em or their engines]

USMarksman91

Banned
I have no idea why people think they are slow, they run high 13's stock with those 3.23, with 4.10's they are easy mid 13's, thats quick. I watch youtube vids all the time with 99-01 cobras stock vs ls1's stock and its always a drivers race or whichever one has more mods wins. So idk, maybe because its not supercharged and extremely hairy like the 03's, I still dont have mine yet, never even drove one. Their not slow, does anyone on here actually think they are slow? they are beautifully built motors, 6800 rpm redline, wonderful sound, brembo front brakes, whats the big problem?

tmhutch

4v>3v>2v
Established Member
You'll get just as many Cobra guys saying "I beat Mach 1's all the time" as you will get Mach 1 owners saying the same thing about Cobra's. It's a pointless debate. From a stop the Mach has the edge with the better gear, solid rear and smaller cams giving better low end torque for getting out of the hole.

Launching the bigger cammed, IRS'd, 3.27 geared Cobra is a challenge to say the least but from a role they have the edge with the extra 15'ish horsepower and broader powerband in the upper RPM's from the bigger cams. That edge is really magnified when bolting on a short runner intake.

The Cobra was a bit of a mismatch. Compared to the Mach 1 it responds much better to gears and a couple inches removed from the intake runners whereas the Mach is pretty well optimized from the factory and doesnt leave much on the table. Ford did a good job with the Mach but I prefer the Cobra for the interior (especially the 01), the aluminum IRS, the bigger cams and the hand built engine. Now if they had only given it a decent hood! (man that shaker looks good).

hurststang

Established Member
I have owned two cobras over the years a 97 and a 98. I now own a 04 Mach 1. I just love the 4V motors and I don't care what year it is. With the right amount of $$$$ any of them can be fast.

USMarksman91

Banned
You'll get just as many Cobra guys saying "I beat Mach 1's all the time" as you will get Mach 1 owners saying the same thing about Cobra's. It's a pointless debate. From a stop the Mach has the edge with the better gear, solid rear and smaller cams giving better low end torque for getting out of the hole.

Launching the bigger cammed, IRS'd, 3.27 geared Cobra is a challenge to say the least but from a role they have the edge with the extra 15'ish horsepower and broader powerband in the upper RPM's from the bigger cams. That edge is really magnified when bolting on a short runner intake.

The Cobra was a bit of a mismatch. Compared to the Mach 1 it responds much better to gears and a couple inches removed from the intake runners whereas the Mach is pretty well optimized from the factory and doesnt leave much on the table. Ford did a good job with the Mach but I prefer the Cobra for the interior (especially the 01), the aluminum IRS, the bigger cams and the hand built engine. Now if they had only given it a decent hood! (man that shaker looks good).

Good info man, thanks. If 4.10 goes in both car I wonder what the race looks like.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I have no idea why people think they are slow, they run high 13's stock with those 3.23, with 4.10's they are easy mid 13's, thats quick. I watch youtube vids all the time with 99-01 cobras stock vs ls1's stock and its always a drivers race or whichever one has more mods wins. So idk, maybe because its not supercharged and extremely hairy like the 03's, I still dont have mine yet, never even drove one. Their not slow, does anyone on here actually think they are slow? they are beautifully built motors, 6800 rpm redline, wonderful sound, brembo front brakes, whats the big problem?

We have 3.27's not 3.23's. I haven't had a chance to run any Mach's. When I was stock or otherwise. But the guys that I've known with them always agreed it was a driver's race.

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member
They're dissed on way too much lately.

It is a sad time indeed :(

Even the Mach owners say stock for stock against their's, the 99-01 Cobra is slower.

What do you guys think of this diss-session? :shrug:

Both being stock for stock and EQUAL drivers... the mach is faster IMO. I think gearing is what sets them apart. I know they have more torque and a soild and blah blah blah but in reality its the gearing. N/A 4v's need gears to run good IMO.

I don't see the big deal though. 99-01's where over shadowed by 03-04 Cobra's. Unfortunately they made prior cobra's look like turds. Oh well :shrug:

Do mach 1's seriously smoke the 99 cobras?

I wouldn't say "smoke them" but they will edge them out. Assuming its stock vs stock.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread