tkiller

Established Member
Several good things to check have already been said:

-make sure you're not limp-wristing it
-try different magazines
-clean and oil
-LCP's are not know for being high quality, but maybe the II's will change that
-Ruger's customer service is awesome.

At the end of the day, it's a ~$220 pistol. Often, we get what we pay for.

2000gt4.6

Established Member
I have a LCP 1, never had an issue.

Just got a LCP2 last weekend...And I'm thinking I made the mistake (again) of buying a first run gun.

I got several fails to extract on the first two mags, then the mag started to fall out during shooting. Tried several different grips etc and nothing, shoot shoot mag falls out. Really annoying and unacceptable for a carry gun. Gonna try a different mag but im guessing it has to go back :(

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I have a LCP 1, never had an issue.

Just got a LCP2 last weekend...And I'm thinking I made the mistake (again) of buying a first run gun.

I got several fails to extract on the first two mags, then the mag started to fall out during shooting. Tried several different grips etc and nothing, shoot shoot mag falls out. Really annoying and unacceptable for a carry gun. Gonna try a different mag but im guessing it has to go back :(

Not exactly confidence inspiring.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
I was going to say earlier that over-lubrication is ridiculous and would be an inherent flaw in a weapon if it were actually a thing. If you have something like a Glock that can be fired after being dropped in mud or sand then there should be no issues with it being doused in a lubricating oil. Not all firearms will fire with dirt and mud in them but all of them should fire after being dropped in oil. If they dont then you should sell that firearm because it is no good.

I run all of my firearms in different conditions to see how they respond. I ran my M4 in the Marines completely dry for over a month just to see if it would ever jam which it never did. I've run my M&P 9 dry multiple times and dirty and dusty and it has never skipped a beat once. After that, over-lubing was never even a thought in my head.

The bottom line is that pistols and rifles are much more durable than a lot of people lead you to believe. If you have a malfunction cleaning and lube should obvioulsy be your first go-to because it is the easiest to rule out, but if the problem persist then it's onto the next easiest things like mags and grip to make sure your hand isn't obstructing the slide and so on. If it still persists then try new ammo, but if it happens after that sell the firearm and get something more reliable.

Sent from my SM-G935P using the svtperformance.com mobile app

2000gt4.6

Established Member
Not exactly confidence inspiring.

Yeah, no joke. Worst part is, the trigger and sights are way better than the 1. They made improvements, but from my searching they have this issue on multiple pistols.

My SR22 is down as well, broken takedown lever.

MinGrey02Stg2

Established Member
Since it's a new gun, you may want to try locking the slide back and let the gun sit for a week. I got a new FNX45 Tactical and many people complained of extraction issues with new guns, finding that the spring was a little strong before break in. Locking the slide back for a good amount of time seemed to cure the problem. I did it before I even shot my gun so I don't know if it was ever a problem since it was flawless at the range. See if there are forums related to that gun and if it's a common issue.

2000gt4.6

Established Member
Since it's a new gun, you may want to try locking the slide back and let the gun sit for a week. I got a new FNX45 Tactical and many people complained of extraction issues with new guns, finding that the spring was a little strong before break in. Locking the slide back for a good amount of time seemed to cure the problem. I did it before I even shot my gun so I don't know if it was ever a problem since it was flawless at the range. See if there are forums related to that gun and if it's a common issue.

Thanks, I'll try it. I have a fnx tact as well, glad I didn't/don't have any issues with mine.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
During times when the weather is nice and a coat or jacket is not being worn thus limiting what I can carry, my LCP is the go-to. Loaded with Winchester SXT's, I have the utmost confidence if I need to use it, the firearm will perform as intended.

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
Send it back to Ruger. If it still malfunctions, sell it. Then buy a glock.

I was seriously looking into going get a LCP 2. I wanted a pocket pistol for when i run into a gas station or some thing that didnt take long. Then read some articles and it woke me up to the fact that places like a gas station are the most likely for you to have to use it. So I no longer feel i need an LCP 2 at this time.

This post is written with the me thinking the OP's pistol will be used for self defense one day. If it isnt, id see what Ruger can do and hope for the best. If it's just range toy or novelty, i would not sell it.

Last edited:

2000gt4.6

Established Member
That's the problem with all the hidden hammer revolvers.

No doubt. And in my opinion it's just about the most firepower you can pack into a compact pistol. It's honestly not much bigger than the LCP. Stuff it in a pocket and go.

If 5 shots of .357 mag can't solve your problem, you should have brought a long gun lol.

LXZ06

If this is going to be for your wife, did you take a look at the glock 42? I know you said your father bought the ruger for her, just wondering if the 42 was considered?
My wife just recently purchased a 42 after trying a sig 380(dont remember the number) an lcp as well as the 42.
I also have the bg380 and comparing the 2 is night and day. It doesnt have the bg looong trigger pull and frame is slightly bigger so the 380 round doesnt feel as snappy. My grouping is much tighter with the 42.

Just throwing it out there.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
If this is going to be for your wife, did you take a look at the glock 42? I know you said your father bought the ruger for her, just wondering if the 42 was considered?
My wife just recently purchased a 42 after trying a sig 380(dont remember the number) an lcp as well as the 42.
I also have the bg380 and comparing the 2 is night and day. It doesnt have the bg looong trigger pull and frame is slightly bigger so the 380 round doesnt feel as snappy. My grouping is much tighter with the 42.

Just throwing it out there.

I had no idea he bought it.

Users who are viewing this thread