Ruger LCP-II - Anyone have one?

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
My Dad bought my wife one for Christmas. We were out shooting it for the first time last week and it kept jamming. The extractor would fail to release the spent casing, which would then jam as the next round was being chambered. This would happen on about every 3rd shot. I'm thinking that it may just need hotter ammo in order to cycle properly. We were running Winchester white box 95gr FMJ. The same ammo, same box and same day, was running fine through my S&W BG .380. I picked up some Remington ammo yesterday and will try it at some point. Just wondering if anyone here has experienced the same issue?

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Was she the only one firing it? Or did it jam for multiple people?

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Make sure it's not over lubed. My Sig would do that and the place I got it from told me it was over oiled. Never had a problem since.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Hm. I would clean it really well, and make sure it's well oiled. Then I would try hotter ammo.

That is peculiar.

I oiled it before taking it out, but just cleaned it thoroughly and oiled it again. Be interesting to see how it works now.

On the plus side, if it didn't jam it would be excellent. I like it a lot more than my S&W. The trigger is better than any pocket pistol I've shot. When they come out with a laser model I'm going to pick it up.

Machdup1

Established Member
1. Buy different, high quality FMJ Round Nose ammo
2. Field Strip and clean, clean, clean.
3. Examine the magazine and the the feed surfaces.
4. Lubricate Appropriately. Do not drown the firearm in oil
5. Hand cycle handgun 500 time to loose it up.
6. Go to range to test new ammo.
7. Do not limp wrist the gun. Hold it like you are pissed off at it and want to hurt it.

If that doesn't work, send it back. If it doesn't work after that, sell it and buy something else.

BTW, the LCPII is infamous for jamming.

CV355

_
Established Member
Very possible it is the mag feed lips. That or the bullet surface is catching the feed ramp (check to make sure feed ramp is clean and polished)

LCPs are great little carry guns but have snappy recoil for a 380. If the pistol isn't held firm, the slide motion doesn't properly strip the next cartridge. Stovepipe city. My 50AE does the same thing if I limp-wrist it haha

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
I personally do not care for the winchester white box. It shoots very dirty.
Big fan of Fiocchi.
Cut back on the oil as stated.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I have never been a fan of winchester ammo.

See if the Remington ammo helps the issue. I always try to go for Federal. If it does it with several different types of ammo you can at least rule that out.

Papaw

Established Member
My LCP gen 1 works just fine with every brand ammo I've tried. The gen 2 looks even better on paper. But a gun you carry for personal defense simply HAS to go bang every time!
Hope you get it sorted out.

EBBS_03_Cobra

Never satisfied
Established Member
I have an LC9, which I know isn't the exact same, but.. mine would always jam. I had to Polish the feed ramp. That helped a lot.

Also, I bought extra mags for it. The original one that came with the gun is made in Italy, and the 2 additional Ruger ones are made in USA. The USA ones I can literally wiggle out of the gun, and when firing the gun it drops the magazine after 1 or 2 shots. Needless to say, I don't put much faith in it.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Troponin

Established Member
Check the owners manual and make sure there is no recommended ammunition. Some manufacturers will design a gun for certain loads and anything else will cause extraction or accuracy issues.

Did you get extra magazines with it? If so, did you use them and get the same results?

The Ruger LCP2 is a great gun. I don't think there are too many complaints about them. Take it back and have it looked at if you don't find anything about ammunition info

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
Very possible it is the mag feed lips. That or the bullet surface is catching the feed ramp (check to make sure feed ramp is clean and polished)

I had the same issue as the O.P. with the exception of it being a P40. The initial culprits were assumed as either gripping it too weak or a defective mag. At the end of the day it turned out to be crappy ammo. The firearm hated the thin cased CCI ammo.

CV355

_
Established Member
I had the same issue as the O.P. with the exception of it being a P40. The initial culprits were assumed as either gripping it too weak or a defective mag. At the end of the day it turned out to be crappy ammo. The firearm hated the thin cased CCI ammo.

I've had a few like that. Ammo is definitely a contributor

Users who are viewing this thread