RR Pulley = BAD MOJO

BuffDigits

Bling - Bling
Established Member
I might be able to get a caliper reading on my eaton shaft but the one from the RR might not be accurate since it was damaged removing it from the snout.

@hicompression, yup, pretty straight forward.

Hicompression

Hah!
Established Member
Originally posted by BuffDigits
@hicompression, yup, pretty straight forward.

I applaud you for posting your problem. I was waiting for this to happen to someone. I installed a RR 2.75" pulley on a friends Lightning (at his request). It pressed on way easier than any steel pulley I've ever installed on a Lightning or Cobra. I predict we will see more incidences of this type of failure in the future.....

NIELSTTCOBRA

Got Boost?
Established Member
all this scientific crap and dramatization of the original problem... he had a problem with the pulley spinning on the shaft of the supercharger. i believe him, and so do most on here it seems.
most everyone including myself that has the RR pulley doesn't have this problem and has seen gains just as high as those with steel pulleys. the fact is that there was some problem here and an isolated one at that.
there is always someone that has some kind of problem/complaint with an aftermarket piece. that doesn't make RR a bad piece.
i remember reading a thread a while back about complaints of the accufab TB and Billet TB's for various reasons. my accufab has been nothing but a solid piece, and when you have quite a few of aftermarket pieces distributed to the public, there is going to be a few lemons.
manufacturing difference happen, and RR has alway been a company that stands behind their products. i'm sure they would have been happy to replace your pulley.
those that have heard about the RR pulley bending while taking it off; thats just the nature of aluminum. mine went on super tight, and they need to be taken off after heating them up. i've seen one come off with no bends and no problems.
my point is (there is one i promise) that the forums are to tell those about good and bad experiences, but not to just vendor bash from those that haven't even run the very piece they are heckling. don't include your scientific theories when your talking from your rear.
the fact is... do they work for most people that own them... i'd say 99% of customers with the RR would agree that they have experienced no such problems. those with RR's chime in.

wyd_trkr

-
Established Member
Originally posted by Pyro
I have the SFPHQ interchangeable set up with the steel hub so I'm sure mine is ok BUT I think it's time to put marks on the pulley and snout just to be sure.

Pyro, excuse me here, but, you will Never find any tolerance problems with any of our DUB Interchangeable Modular Hub Assemblies, as well as the other Steel Pulley products we have been manufacturing for the past 7 years.

Hope this helps, as this is why we are in the pulley business and do not create problem errors for our customers, as everything we manufacture and market has been successfully Tested months in advance before it is brought to the market for our customers to purchase.

Also, SFPH does not have to Boast about it's products , nor prove how reliable it's Pulley or Pulley Systems are, as if it were not a great product , it would not be approved to be on SEMA's Website for all to see.

How many Pulley Manufacturers are Members of the SEMA Group and Support them, as well as SFPH being a SEMA Member for the past 5 years. Not many other pulley companies support SEMA, muchless are they Members. We support the aftermarket in every way we can. Check SFPH out here:

http://www.enjoythedrive.com/products/product_display.asp?product_id=1321&zw=supercharger+pulley

http://www.enjoythedrive.com/products/product_display.asp?product_id=63&zw=supercharger+pulley

http://www.enjoythedrive.com/products/product_display.asp?product_id=725&zw=supercharger+pulley

http://www.enjoythedrive.com/products/product_display.asp?product_id=726&zw=supercharger+pulley

http://www.enjoythedrive.com/products/product_display.asp?product_id=416&zw=supercharger+pulley

http://www.enjoythedrive.com/products/product_display.asp?product_id=1529&zw=supercharger+pulley

http://www.enjoythedrive.com/products/product_display.asp?product_id=1511&zw=supercharger+pulley

:thumbsup: :rockon:

Last edited:

Hicompression

Hah!
Established Member
Originally posted by niels04cobra
all this scientific crap and dramatization of the original problem...

You don't have to be an ass...

don't include your scientific theories when your talking from your rear.

Your'e being an ass again... Obviously you didn't read in my post that I have experience with installing RR pullies.

:burn:

NIELSTTCOBRA

Got Boost?
Established Member
i just call it how i see it hi compression...

wow i'm being an ass... damn, that really hurts.
sure you know what you were doing smartguy.
mine didn't have a problem. niether did any of the other people who installed RR pulley at so. cal. diablo.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Originally posted by CastIronMan
Ok i'm getting somewhat confused......are you saying it's not the pully but the eaton itself?
Yes, I think this is what Linn and Doug are trying to say. The Eaton shaft can have differing variances...just enough to possibly get the pulley spinning on the shaft at high RPM. My guess is that this could happen to more than just RR pulleys. Agree or disagree?

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
cobra101 - no problem man, anytime :thumbsup: Actually, if you go with a belt that is too tight, that could hurt performance and possibly break an idler pulley because of so much stress. Most people run a 74.5'' belt with a 2.80 pulley and a 100mm idler. So if you already have the 74'' belt on your 2.76 pulley, I wouldn't go any smaller.

You could try a gatorback, but just keep in mind that some people say the RR pulley will shred a gatorback belt. But then again, some people are using an RR pulley with a gatorback belt so who knows. Just letting you know.

i just call it how i see it hi compression
lol, I love that quote. It gives people an excuse to say whatever they want. Neil - highcompression gave you the EXACT reason why the pulley was slipping

03DOHC

Established Member
i just call it how i see it hi compression...

wow i'm being an ass... damn, that really hurts.
sure you know what you were doing smartguy.
mine didn't have a problem. niether did any of the other people who installed RR pulley at so. cal. diablo.
You're not calling it as you see it because you could've left the cheap insult out of your comments.

This thread is no different than the wax threads that get invaded and overrun by the "defenders" of zaino.

Please keep on topic and play nice. Thanks.

NIELSTTCOBRA

Got Boost?
Established Member
2.80 steel pulleys slip just like alum. ones. just like 2.80 alum. pulleys with an idler can prevent slip just like a 2.80 steel pulley with an idler.
the fact is that the RR alum. pulleys give cobra owners just as high a rwhp/rwtq as steel pulley owners.
by the way, i'm a RR no slip pulley owner that runs a gatorback... no problems with belt shred and the whistling of the belt at idle and low rpms is awesome. reichard had said on a thread that the gatorback/RR pulley combo was solved.

Juiced-03

Established Member
Originally posted by 03DOHC

This thread is no different than the wax threads that get invaded and overrun by the "defenders" of zaino.

LOL that is so true Dan!! :bowdown: :lol:

Bryan

BuffDigits

Bling - Bling
Established Member
k guys relax, yes I had a very frustrating day and im not saying your shouldnt buy a RR pulley, Im just saying I had problems
with it.

just like people that had problems with steeda cai rubbing on the ac hose and people like me did not.

its just a good thing to bring to peoples attention because at first glance (and dyno glance) it appears to be belt slip, but with a little more investigating and a sharpe pen it was determined to
be pulley slip.

could probably happen to any pulley on any car, but we have to accept the bad with the good, RR pulleys might rock but I had a bad experience, doesnt mean you shouldnt buy them just means no ones perfect.

unfortunately I cant spend the time or money to buy a bunch of RR pulleys to see if they are all bad on my car, so I have to resort
to another pulley (which is a drag cause I really liked the bling bling of the RR pulley.

I might be the only one that has a problem or the only one that reports it but I felt I should share my experience.

Silver 03 Cobra

Originally posted by CastIronMan
How much proof do we need, lets see, we have "1" cobra do this now all of them are bad, sorry i don't buy it(yet).
I do however agree the steel pullies are better.
I find it funny hundreds maybe thousands of people are running RR pullies and this hasn't happen to them yet.
I mean thats like saying, "oh crap, my car was a lemmon, that means all cobras are lemmons!"
I'm not saying it didn't happen on his car(i believe him 100%) but until i see more of this happing(which i havn't) i'm not going to start saying a product is bad because 1 person had this problem.

There may be one to two thousand RR pulleys but not multiple thousands. Plus, not everybody reads/posts on the net.

I put an idler pulley on my buddies 03 a long time go when they first came out. It was a new design similar to the stock idler pulleys. He runs a six upper and a six lower. The idler pulley exploded. I posted pics and was met with harsh criticizm by people that liked the supplier and would defend them no matter what the problem was. All I was trying to do was bring a problem to the attention of others. A piece of this pulley broke free. It could easily kill someone if it came loose and they were standing near the engine while it was on a dyno. One smart assed member on this board, Y2K something said, "Well, if you find a job standing next to an engine while it's on a dyno let me know". What a dumb ass. When the idler came apart it also took out the upper pulley, broke the belt, the belt took out the hood liner and a couple of hoses. On top of the flaming I received on this board, the supplier blamed me for installing the idler wrong or the bolt came loose. I was also blamed for improper install when the screws came loose on my buddies Accufab TB. The supplier was so quick to point the finger I still don't think he realizes today that the screws that came loose were the ones that attach the TB to the plenum and are installed by Accufab. Mine came out also. But, I installed both so it had to be me :lol:.

What makes me mad is not someone making a bad product, it's some SOB that's knows he has something wrong with a product and still blames you trying to recoupe as much of his loss as possible. We were sent another idler and that bastard came apart also. I only read of one other person having this problem. But, today that idler is no longer available. Wonder why with so few problems reported on this "Popular site". I know it's hard to believe but could it be most of the people buying them weren't members of SVTPerf. so nobody on this board were aware of that problem. So don't even jump on this dude. He may have been a little harsh but there could be a problem. Maybe RR hired a new CNC lathe operator and he made a few hundred pulley over size. I worked for a huge manufacturer and metal turning is our business. I know what can go wrong. We are even ISO 9000 certified. And it aint worth the paper it's written. There are too many companies today that don't have qualified engineers designing a product. One day one of these shade tree shops are going to hurt someone. A 100 mm idler is turning well over 20k rpm. That's 21,000 feet/minute at the surface or 240 mph. Couple that with a lot of side loading and it's no wonder a spun pulley would explode. I'm sure when a piece the size of a quarter broke loose and hit you in the head standing about 10 feet away while the car was on a dyno it wouldn't hurt. Naw.

Last edited by a moderator:

SVTADVISOR

The Cobra Doctor
Established Member
I think were getting a little overblown here. No there is nothing wrong with the shaft on the eaton in this case. Any mass produced part can have issues. In this particular case this pulley just wasn't made right. It happens no big deal. All buffdigits was trying to do was alert others to this problem. No need to get in this who's smarter than who about cars thing. When you work on cars every day it seems that people on the outside seem to overthink things a bit.

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
BuffDigits,
Regardless of others, I personally am glad you made this post, I had a toss up between the RR and Billteflow, looks like I will definately be going with a steel pulley, thanks for the info.

Users who are viewing this thread