RR Pulley = BAD MOJO

BuffDigits

Bling - Bling
Established Member
k so heres my story, got the 2.8 RR ultra grip pulley put on(and a tensioner) and took it to the dyno to get tuned.

at 4500rpm and higher the boost dies, hp goes flat and me and the tuner are like wtf. maybe belt slip?

go back to get it looked at, nope belt is tight as hell, buncha belt dust in there probably from the grooves in RR pulley grabbing the belt.

put some marks on the pulley and took it for a spin. Ah Ha,
its NOT belt slip its pulley slip, the damn pulley is spinning around the stock eaton shaft, we call this a Bad Thing (tm).

POS comes to mind. It gets bent to crap taking it off so ill doubt they will take this thing back, but I have to say I would stay away from the RR pulleys, not enought QA on the tolerances for the pulley, plus I think aluminum is a mistake, too soft, heats and expands at a different rate then the steel shaft its on.

ugh, so that was a big waste of time driving all around town, plus its not something you can fix you have the throw it out and get a different pulley.

nice bling factor but if it doesnt work it doesnt work no matter how good it works.

of course your results may vary but I would caution anyone regarding the RR ultra grip pulley (grips all right just not to the shaft)

the installers did mention that it seemed to go much easier then it should have. ugh, fair warning.

(yes im massively frustrated right now)

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
Wow, that's the first time I ever heard anything bad about the RR pulley. RR is supposed to be one of the best pulley manufacturers for our Cobras, if not THE best.

Maybe it was a bad install with the pulley-puller and bent the shaft - or maybe the pulley itself was defective. If it was, this is the first report of one ever.

BilletFlow and RR pulleys are supposed to be the best pulleys for our eatons.

Hicompression

Hah!
Established Member
That's exactly the reason I run a steel pulley. I knew it would happen to someone sooner rather than later. Its a bad design. The steel hub system with an aluminum ring is the only proper way to run an aluminum pulley.....:kaboom:

Juiced-03

Established Member
WOW I would be so pissed!! I have never heard of this before. I was just getting ready to order the RR pulley myself. Maybe I will just order the BF hub setup.

yeasure

Old School ModularMan
Established Member
Hold up a sec, just because 1 cobra/RR pully had this problem doesn't mean this is the case for all and if it is we'll start seeing this problem.
One thing you never do is post that a product is bad without proof first.
I know a lot of people running RR pullies and this is the first time i've heard of this, not only do they run the RR pullies, they have for awhile now.
I say instead of saying it's a bad design, let gets some proof in on this before we start bashing RR's pullies.

Juiced-03

Established Member
Originally posted by CastIronMan

One thing you never do is post that a product is bad without proof first.

how much more proof do you need? He said it spun on the shaft, that is enough for me. Not saying all products by RR are bad, but it makes me not what to take a chance on it now :shrug:

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
I've heard of MANY users here using RR pullies (ONE YEAR AGO!) and never had a problem. Sounds like a UPR-RPMOUTLET highjack thread :p

yeasure

Old School ModularMan
Established Member
How much proof do we need, lets see, we have "1" cobra do this now all of them are bad, sorry i don't buy it(yet).
I do however agree the steel pullies are better.
I find it funny hundreds maybe thousands of people are running RR pullies and this hasn't happen to them yet.
I mean thats like saying, "oh crap, my car was a lemmon, that means all cobras are lemmons!"
I'm not saying it didn't happen on his car(i believe him 100%) but until i see more of this happing(which i havn't) i'm not going to start saying a product is bad because 1 person had this problem.

BuffDigits

Bling - Bling
Established Member
actually this is the second RR pulley ive had, the first one that was sent me was obviously used and had been on someones car, had to sent it back and get and a real new one.

they didnt bend it putting it on especially since it slid on so easily it didnt take all that much pressure to get it on.

This is not the first time ive heard of this, even steeda use to make similar pulleys and had the same problems so they switched to steel.

They are also telling me they have gotten in a bunch of guys with RR pulleys that they had to swap out to steel ones.

I gave it the benefit of the doubt and also had a bad experience (and waited til then to post anything).

so its not just me and its not just one pulley. apparently not only
is it a problem with RR but with aluminum pulleys in general.

so dont know what else to say some people have had good luck with them and because of that I would just tell people to use caution when selecting/installing this type of pulley.

if it goes on to easily send it back.

SVTADVISOR

The Cobra Doctor
Established Member
Ask steeda why they dont make an aluminium pulley anymore? They kept having the same problems SOME people are having now.

yeasure

Old School ModularMan
Established Member
Ok, you tell us everything but nothing at all......my buddy this, Steeda this, other RR owners that.
Show me and the other this, don't just tell us about it.
Btw i'm not trying to be an ass here, just post facts so this doesn't become a war over what pully is better then the other.
Another thing, i've never seen a RR pully go on easy/loose, sounds like you already had a problem before the pully went on unless i read what you posted wrong.

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
So what are the best pullies in your opinions? What about the BILLETFLOW ones?

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
Although this is the first time I have heard about them slipping on the actual shaft, this is NOT the first time I have heard bad things about the RR pulley.

One of the most obvious reasons being that the dissimilar metals don't work well. I have heard that some people eventually end up cutting the pulley off the snout because it won't come off. Wether or not that will happen to everyone I don't know, I would rather get a steel pulley and not take any chances.

Castironman - buff posted a very good thread. He didn't say all RR pulley's are crap. He just posted what happend to him. He gave proof that it was spinning on the shaft.

yeasure

Old School ModularMan
Established Member
See what i mean, here it goes, get ready for one big ass war over what pully is best....i knew it was going to happen and blam, it's already started.

yeasure

Old School ModularMan
Established Member
Oh i believe him 100%, he has no reason to make it up but at the sametime i need proof, to many times i've listen to know mores on forums and end up getting bend over.
I want to see proof or more people come in that has had this problem, honestly i'm not trying to be an ass or start anything but before we start scaring the sh*t out of people lets get some more facts about this please.

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
castiron - well what do you want him to do? NOT tell anyone what happend to him, the whole point of the forums is to tell people about mods they are trying.

Yeah, if you get a lemon you shouldnt say all cobra's are lemons . . .but if you get a lemon you should post about what problems you are having so that other people can read about it so they can make sure they are NOT having the same problems. . .thats exactly what buffdigits did. And as you can see from this thread alone, a lot of people have heard bad things about the RR pulleys.

BuffDigits

Bling - Bling
Established Member
i didnt post this to suggest what pulley is best, in fact I dont care which is best.

All im saying is this brand new RR 2.8 pulley properly installed
could not spin the blower properly over 4500rpm because it began to spin on the shaft.

THe proof was marking the pulley with a marker, and the shaft, taking it for a very quick ride then seeing that the marks did not line up anymore, they only way for that to happen
is the pulley was spinning on the shaft (there that better?).

PS another fact, my first RR pulley bought new was sent to me and had obviously been used and was bent had to send it back to get another one, this time I was sure it was brand new and the guy made sure (notice im not going to tell you the vendor because i think it was an honest mistake) but it does suggest someone else had a problem and send it back for a refund.

Last edited:

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
I understand what your saying, I know your not trying to be a jerk. I am just saying that a lot of us already know about the risks on running an RR pulley. We are not trying to start another pulley war, been there done that. There have been thousands of threads already about that.

Actually, what would be so bad about having a thread talking about which pulley is best? I know alot of people would like to know. I personally don't think its that big a deal, I just get steel pulley's from SouthFloridaPulleyHQ. I don't think there is a big difference between a SFPHQ pulley, steeda pulley. . .ect. But if other people want to figure it out, more power to them.

SVTADVISOR

The Cobra Doctor
Established Member
I was the one who put the pulley on. The facts were that it was slipping on the input shaft for the blower. The pulley went on way to easy in the first place. Just letting the fellow owners know to watch out for this. Didn't hurt anything, but its a waste of time and money at this point.

Users who are viewing this thread