Rpms on the launch control

Aero7

Established Member
Does anyone in eastern NC have the 2500 to 5200 range LC with a stock 2013 GT500 close to 1000 miles on the car?

Last edited:

usmotox

Living the Dream!
Established Member
I had never checked our car until today talking with Aero7 so I went and turned it on and have the 2500 to 5200 settings. Car was built on October 5th I did not check it with low miles and it has 3900 miles now.

Snorman

Gaining fast...
Established Member
I am no means an avid drag racer, but I can get my launch control to work on stock Goddyears. I have over 5500 miles on mine. I have mine set at 3800 for the street, you are correct, do not sidestep the clutch, you have ease out of the clutch, it felt a little weird the first couple times to ease out of the clutch. I have notice too that the car will bog if the tires are cold. If you have about 15-20 min of just regular driving (not aggressive) to get the tires to warm up, LC works even better. I guess a nice burnout would work too :banana: as long as the temps are warm enough. Just my opinion
If the car is bogging with cold tires then the electronic powertrain feature is intervening. It does that when it detects clutch slip.
S.

Snorman

Gaining fast...
Established Member
Here are my thoughts...... LC is there to make the novice drag racer look better. By lowering the maximum rpm you can leave at there will be less wheel spin and LC will not have to apply the brakes as much and work as hard (as compared to someone sidestepping it at 5200 with LC engaged on street tires).

Their goal was to make novice racers look good.
I'm extremely far from a novice driver.
The fact is that using LC in conjunction with AdvanceTrak "sport" mode is the only decent way to get a stock-tired car out of the hole without a severe reduction in throttle angle and power, otherwise referred to as "bog".
Go take your car to the track, turn off everything and try launching it.
Let us know how you do.
S.

Snorman

Gaining fast...
Established Member
And FYI, my black '13 has the "full range" LC settings, my silver '13 has the reduced window of rpm settings.
I can get both cars dyno'd locally to see if there is a difference. If I can get one of my friends to drive one, maybe I can get both to the dyno on the same day.
S.

Njtony

Established Member
That was the seed I was planting. Maybe a dyno pull is warranted. My feelings are, Ford adjusted some things to avoid some warranty issues that have occurred.

I'm extremely far from a novice driver.
The fact is that using LC in conjunction with AdvanceTrak "sport" mode is the only decent way to get a stock-tired car out of the hole without a severe reduction in throttle angle and power, otherwise referred to as "bog".
Go take your car to the track, turn off everything and try launching it.
Let us know how you do.
S.

Launching without Lc is frustrating at best. Lc works best for me as well once you dial in the rpm. Too much it spins too little it bogs bad. Launching a modded TT supra is easy by comparison. I've got the full range and have tried from the low to upper end. Somewhere in the 3-4k range worked best for me.

Sean-I'm up for a dyno day. Let me know when you get your car up here.

Aero7

Established Member
And FYI, my black '13 has the "full range" LC settings, my silver '13 has the reduced window of rpm settings.
I can get both cars dyno'd locally to see if there is a difference. If I can get one of my friends to drive one, maybe I can get both to the dyno on the same day.
S.

How many miles on each car?

Aero7

Established Member
Launching without Lc is frustrating at best. Lc works best for me as well once you dial in the rpm. Too much it spins too little it bogs bad. Launching a modded TT supra is easy by comparison. I've got the full range and have tried from the low to upper end. Somewhere in the 3-4k range worked best for me.

Sean-I'm up for a dyno day. Let me know when you get your car up here.

This is what SVT's testing showed as well (and why they narrowed the band to 3000 to 4500. That is where LC works best. I guess they figured there was no sense in having the 2500 to 3000, or 4500 to 5200 band available.

Aero7

Established Member
Snorman,

How does the GTR launch control work? Has there ever been any problems with it (changes, recalls, etc....)

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
I had never checked our car until today talking with Aero7 so I went and turned it on and have the 2500 to 5200 settings. Car was built on October 5th I did not check it with low miles and it has 3900 miles now.

I checked mine for the first time today as well. It has the full (2500-5200 RPM) range. Build date was 17 Oct and it now has ~2500 miles on it.

Snorman

Gaining fast...
Established Member
Snorman,

How does the GTR launch control work? Has there ever been any problems with it (changes, recalls, etc....)
Nissan has refined the LC on the GT-R's pretty much every year and are now on the 5th iteration of it (known as "LC5" in the '13 cars). They've done some interesting things with it, and while I'm familiar with it in my '12 and '13 cars, I haven't experienced it in the early cars. However, the LC5 in the '13's is by far the best iteration so far. I cut consistent 1.6's in it bone stock on stock "Cold Weather Package" all-season tires and several owners have gone 1.5's.
It works pretty easily...tranny and VDC settings in "R" mode with shock settings in any mode, stomp on the brake, floor the throttle and let off the brake.
Ask Njtony how it works. :lol1:
S.

Aero7

Established Member
Nissan has refined the LC on the GT-R's pretty much every year and are now on the 5th iteration of it (known as "LC5" in the '13 cars). They've done some interesting things with it, and while I'm familiar with it in my '12 and '13 cars, I haven't experienced it in the early cars. However, the LC5 in the '13's is by far the best iteration so far. I cut consistent 1.6's in it bone stock on stock "Cold Weather Package" all-season tires and several owners have gone 1.5's.
It works pretty easily...tranny and VDC settings in "R" mode with shock settings in any mode, stomp on the brake, floor the throttle and let off the brake.
Ask Njtony how it works. :lol1:
S.

There is some history with the earlier GTR launch control, as compared to later versions, correct? Maybe this is a refinement on Ford's part (narrowing the band).

Snorman

Gaining fast...
Established Member
There is some history with the earlier GTR launch control, as compared to later versions, correct? Maybe this is a refinement on Ford's part (narrowing the band).
Yep...Nissan refined it over the last several years. But the end result is an LC that works better than the original iteration. I'm not sure Ford is doing that. I think they are doing whatever they can to cover their @sses on warranty claims...hence the presence of the "electronic powertrain feature", which completely inhibits driving the car balls-out like many of would prefer.
S.

railroad

Established Member
Well, after we got the Nissan LC discussed, I thought about what the SVT guy told me about 1000 mile change up. If anyone does a dyno comparison, a low mileage car may not compare to one with over 1000 miles. Ford may have the power cut back until 1000 miles with the LC rpm change. Who knows, since they would not come clean on the change. Maybe it will mature to full hp and everything will be good.

Aero7

Established Member
Looking at it from a torque standpoint, 4500 rpm is on the downward slope of the torque curve (ie maximum torque occurs prior to 4500 rpm), so its not like there is reduced torque at 4500 rpm as compared to 5200. Actually, there is more torque at 4500 than 5200.

railroad

Established Member
The launch rpm doesn't really bother me. Probably because I have never used it in either rpm range. I am just suspicious, since they gave me and others a run-a-round answer.
Would it not sound better to just say, "We have found that ideal launch rpm is between 3 and 4500 rpm. If the warranty people made this decision, it probably sounded like, "If we narrow the rpm launch window and pull 50 ft lbs of tq until 5000 rpm, we won't have to buy any more clutches, gears, axles, etc. Ford tried to pull something similar with the 99 Cobra, but the dyno numbers exposed them. I like all of the 250 miles I have on my new Shelby and am not bashing the car in any way. This is one time I want to be wrong.

Aero7

Established Member
The guy I talked to was the senior Vehicle SVT Engineer. I did not call the 800 number to get in touch with him. The other guys may not have known.

Aero7

Established Member
OK.....So I just got my car off the rollers.

I had an appointment for 8:00 pm tonight. I had to drive over an hour to the place, so I was shooting for getting there at 7:00 to give my car an hour to cool down. I got there around 7:15 and Wayne was already done with the previous car. He had me pull on in and he went right to work hooking everything up for the run.

I really wanted to let my car cool down since I had driven over an hour to get there ...... oh well.

Max HP: 605
Max Tq: 593 lb ft

The car might have had ten minutes to cool, 15 at the most. USMOTOX was there. I think it is safe to say SVT didn't "detune" the later cars with the 3000 to 4500 band LC. I am very pleased. Especially considering the car was hot.

Oh, and the top of fourth was 170 mph. Pretty cool.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread