Rpms on the launch control

Hungdaknees

Established Member
I just talk to ford and the said they changed the rpm setting to 3000 to 4500 and it can not be changed back to 2500 to 5200 on the launch control they would not tell my why either

Myfast70

Established Member
I just talk to ford and the said they changed the rpm setting to 3000 to 4500 and it can not be changed back to 2500 to 5200 on the launch control they would not tell my why either

Probably afraid of the cars launching @ 5200rpm on slicks. :dw:

railroad

Established Member
We are getting a little closer to the truth. Maybe someone with some inside access can divulge the whole story.

Aero7

Established Member
OK,

Here is the truth, and I am just the messenger, so don't shoot me. I spoke to an SVT Engineer today and he was very straight forward with me.

SVT changed it through the model year. I didn't ask for a specific build date because it is easy enough to look to see what your specific limits are (2500-5200 or 3000-4500).

He didn't tell me not to share the conversation, but I also don't want to break his trust. Here is what I feel I can share.

1. LC is primarily for novice drag racers and you will probably be launching around 3000 to 3300 on street tires.
2. If you have slicks on the car and need above 4500 you probably aren't a novice and can launch fine without LC (and can do so all the way up the rpm range with traction control off, without LC).

The range will not change after 1000 miles. The dealer can't reflash. It is what it is. Period.

Aero7

Established Member
He also mentioned that sitting at 5200 (or above) was bad for the cats and that was another reason for backing it down. They didn't want people launching from a stoplight on the street at 5200 just for the heck of it.

He also said their testing showed the car bogged below 3000, so they raised the minimum to 3000. Launch control actually plays with the brakes to minimize wheel spin if you leave at too high an rpm.

Here are my thoughts...... LC is there to make the novice drag racer look better. By lowering the maximum rpm you can leave at there will be less wheel spin and LC will not have to apply the brakes as much and work as hard (as compared to someone sidestepping it at 5200 with LC engaged on street tires).

Their goal was to make novice racers look good.

Last edited:

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
Here are my thoughts...... LC is there to make the novice drag racer look better. By lowering the maximum rpm you can leave at there will be less wheel spin and LC will not have to apply the brakes as much and work as hard (as compared to someone sidestepping it at 5200 with LC engaged on street tires).

Their goal was to make novice racers look good.

So far even experienced racers can't best the LC times because of the electronic protection built into the programming. I'd say your take on it would make great sense if deselecting LC would also deselect the hobbling programming.

Aero7

Established Member
How many folks on here are using LC to launch above 4500 rpm with good success? Just curious.......

Last edited:

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
How many folks on here are using LC to launch above 4500 rpm with good success? Just curious.......

From the good runs I've read about, none. People all seem to be in the 3100-3500 range. I havn't read any reports from any experienced drag racers who were happy with their non-LC runs though. :shrug:

Aero7

Established Member
From the good runs I've read about, none. People all seem to be in the 3100-3500 range. I havn't read any reports from any experienced drag racers who were happy with their non-LC runs though. :shrug:

What about with drag radials?

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
My best run was from 4800 rpms on DR's....still working it. Im going to try it on my own leaving from idle to try and avoid the bog

railroad

Established Member
Aero7, thanks for posting the info on the issue. I do not know why SVT would not come clean on this? If the launch rpms are all that got changed, good. If not, I am sure some owners will become aware of any changes. Thanks again.

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
Aero7, thanks for posting the info on the issue. I do not know why SVT would not come clean on this? If the launch rpms are all that got changed, good. If not, I am sure some owners will become aware of any changes. Thanks again.

But if that's really all that was changed...why would it be such a big deal to talk about?

Aero7

Established Member
No problem. FYI, this wasn't the SVT 800 number that I called. It may be that the SVT guys that you get ahold of on the 800 number just don't know.

I asked this guy several different ways if there was any "detuning" involved, and he assured me there wasn't.

Aero7

Established Member
Regarding the bog:

I don't quite have 1000 miles on my car yet, so I haven't used LC yet. However, it is my understanding that you are supposed to "smoothly release the clutch" and not "sidestep" the clutch. Are the folks that are experiencing bog, "sidestepping"?

Slowponycar

Established Member
Regarding the bog:

I don't quite have 1000 miles on my car yet, so I haven't used LC yet. However, it is my understanding that you are supposed to "smoothly release the clutch" and not "sidestep" the clutch. Are the folks that are experiencing bog, "sidestepping"?

I am no means an avid drag racer, but I can get my launch control to work on stock Goddyears. I have over 5500 miles on mine. I have mine set at 3800 for the street, you are correct, do not sidestep the clutch, you have ease out of the clutch, it felt a little weird the first couple times to ease out of the clutch. I have notice too that the car will bog if the tires are cold. If you have about 15-20 min of just regular driving (not aggressive) to get the tires to warm up, LC works even better. I guess a nice burnout would work too :banana: as long as the temps are warm enough. Just my opinion

railroad

Established Member
But if that's really all that was changed...why would it be such a big deal to talk about?

That was the seed I was planting. Maybe a dyno pull is warranted. My feelings are, Ford adjusted some things to avoid some warranty issues that have occurred.

Aero7

Established Member
My advice would be same dynoed, same day..... back to back. I'm game. My car is bone stock. I'm in eastern NC.

Wayne's dyno in Jacksonville possibly.

I have the 3000 to 4500 range.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread