Royal Purple Ice?

Badlilstang

Established Member
Drained my radiator for my Supercharger install and was debating on using Royal Purple - Purple ICE. Is it worth using? I am in Texas where it gets damn hot during the summer.

jn2

Established Member
You should run the least amount of antifreeze possible. The following chart shows you the freezing temps based on antifreeze percentage.

35% antifreeze will get you a freezing temps around -10*f. This is well below the coldest I ever see in Austin(central Texas) even if you were to factor in wind chill.

Also you can try water wetter, but usually a higher water percentage will give you better cooling with out spending extra on additives.

Attachments

• freezept.gif
    freezept.gif
    26.4 KB · Views: 356

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
I wouldn't personally put anything they make in my lawnmower, let alone my cars. Without going into a long diatribe...I had a bad experience with their oil some years ago and have not used anything from them ever since.

Ford is now using orange dexcool in just about everything. Honestly I would put that back in with a 50/50 mix (distilled water). However if you want to change from the Orange Dex to something else, would recommend flushing with Ford Cooling System flush|Motorcraft VC-1 or Zerex Super Flush, its supposed to be the same stuff. Then fill it back up with the coolant of your choice, but make sure that is safe for aluminum.

Badlilstang

Established Member
I have some distilled water.. I drained the radiator but I imagine there is still some left in the block.. I am debating just throwing in pure distilled water to top it back off.. or would that be to little of the antifreeze?

Badlilstang

Established Member
You should run the least amount of antifreeze possible. The following chart shows you the freezing temps based on antifreeze percentage.

35% antifreeze will get you a freezing temps around -10*f. This is well below the coldest I ever see in Austin(central Texas) even if you were to factor in wind chill.

Also you can try water wetter, but usually a higher water percentage will give you better cooling with out spending extra on additives.

Yeah, I dont think I have seen it any cooler than in the 20's in Houston..

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
Filling it with distilled water only will not be enough antifreeze. They make antifreeze testers, you simply suck it in there and it tells you the freezing point or so.e may even tell you percentage. They are only a few bucks, I picked up one on Amazon last year cheap.

M91196

Established Member
Antifreeze is also to prevent corrosion, not just prevent freezing, something to keep in mind with all the various alloys in the cooling system. They don't always play nice together.

SixPak

Established Member
Antifreeze is also to prevent corrosion, not just prevent freezing, something to keep in mind with all the various alloys in the cooling system. They don't always play nice together.

^This, and it also serves as a lubricant for the water pump. Good idea to change it out every couple of years.

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
Aside from the corrosion inhibitors in the coolant the boiling point of distilled water is much lower than water/coolant mixes.

jn2

Established Member
Aside from the corrosion inhibitors in the coolant the boiling point of distilled water is much lower than water/coolant mixes.

Keep in mind that the coolant system is pressured, which raises the boiling point of the liquid inside.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Keep in mind that the coolant system is pressured, which raises the boiling point of the liquid inside.

and windchill doesnt matter to nonliving things, windchill can bring the temp of nonliving thing down to ambient quicker than if there was no windchill but the temp cant drop below ambient

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
Good point, assuming 15psi, that would bring the boiling point of distilled water up from 212degF to ~250degF. A 50/50 mix at 15psi would be ~267degF.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
20/80 antifreeze/water here with a splash of Purple Ice, but look where I live. Watch the amount of additive you use also, to much equals foam. Ask me how I know, lol.

Badlilstang

Established Member
20/80 antifreeze/water here with a splash of Purple Ice, but look where I live. Watch the amount of additive you use also, to much equals foam. Ask me how I know, lol.

LOL.. made that mistake back in the late 90's with a custom liquid cooled PC.. to much water wetter and it foamed like crazy..

cjd223

Established Member
I run just enough antifreeze to protect the internals from corrosion and such. When I tested it I was good for about 20*. My car does not venture out of it's nice warm basement in the winter. The Nitto 555Rs turn to grease.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Save your money. If you have problems with your car running cool enough, you have other issues to address.

fuelforfire87

Established Member
I added this to my car very soon after I bought it, and noticed no difference on the temp gauge. I did not actually measure the temp before and after but my engine temp gauge stayed the same. I would spend my money on something else.

Users who are viewing this thread