Roushcharger arrived today

kevinp

Established Member
Looks like a pretty simple job except for the grinding part.

Yea, nothing really hard and you dont have to fabricate anything, the kit is very well thought out. if it didnt say Roush on it you would thing the car came that way.

Finished it up a while ago and have been driving it around, need to touch the tune some so I havent really got on it for long but it pulls pretty hard. After 2.5 days I'm kind of sick of looking at it, plus it started raining so no logging, I'll fool with it a little more tomorrow. Should be able to make it to the track next week, going to see what it runs with just some drag radials.

Having trouble getting the SCT logger to work properly as well, probably spent more time fooling with that thing then the car today.

Couple done pics:

r6.gif

r7.gif

kevinp

Established Member
Justin tweaked the tune a little and it stopped raining so i figured I'd give it a try, I can say is I'm pretty happy with it.. Have to leave the traction control on with the stock 235s and first gear is pretty unusable, no matter since 2nd pulls just as hard as 1st did NA now, even with the TC on it will plant you in the seat pretty well.

For nearly 4000lbs it moves pretty good, puts a little smile on my face for sure ;)

Track results in a week or so..

kevinp

Established Member
Looking good. Cant wait to see some track times.

Me too, but this really isnt going to be a drag car. I dont want to get too far away from where it is right now because its a really fun car that drives great. It is a great sleeper, you cannot hear the blower at all. I have turned a couple real nice late model cars into 8 and 9 second cars and I dont want to go down that road..

Low 11s I can live with, even though a torque converter, headers, , light wheels/tires, remove front sway bar and a tune/cai can get there it would end up almost costing nearly the same. Not to mention I'm at fairly high elevation and with DAs in 3-4000' range in the summer I will not see anywhere near the NA times people are running now. The blower will slow down too but if it can run low 11s in decent weather it should still manage mid 11s in the summer here, any quicker and I will get booted from any events anyway without a roll bar.

I will probably put some lowering springs on the rear only (even more raked then stock with 70lbs more on the nose) to level it out. LCA relocation brackets, lower control arms and I have some 265/18 M/T radials on an extra set of stock wheels. For now thats all I plan to do.

Really :beer:

kevinp

Established Member
Since the blower dropped the front end about 1/4 inch I decided to lower the back a little since it had a pretty good rake stock. Not to mention the stock rear springs are a little soft, flooring the car at 50mph would send the nose in the air and the rear would squat pretty bad.

So I put some Roush rear springs on, dropped the rear about .750, leveled the car out some and now it doesnt try to bottom out the rear on a hard launch. I'll put some relocation brackets on most likely, I'll what it does at the track with drag radials as-is first.

Before and after pic, and a pic in a parking lot when I was eating lunch, still a little higher in the rear but looks better I think. Car runs and drives like stock until you floor it, Justin at VMP did a great job on the tune. This is the first time I ever dealt with a mail order tune (always did my own) and I was little nervous. But Justin took care of everything pretty quick and no complaints so far.

22-1.gif

23-1.gif

24-1.gif

Last edited:

Terminator_NJ

Established Member
Since the blower dropped the front end about 1/4 inch I decided to lower the back a little since it had a pretty good rake stock. Not to mention the stock rear springs are a little soft, flooring the car at 50mph would send the nose in the air and the rear would squat pretty bad.

So I put some Roush rear springs on, dropped the rear about .750, leveled the car out some and now it doesnt try to bottom out the rear on a hard launch. I'll put some relocation brackets on most likely, I'll what it does at the track with drag radials as-is first.

Before and after pic, and a pic in a parking lot when I was eating lunch, still a little higher in the rear but looks better I think. Car runs and drives like stock until you floor it, Justin at VMP did a great job on the tune. This is the first time I ever dealt with a mail order tune (always did my own) and I was little nervous. But Justin took care of everything pretty quick and no complaints so far.

22-1.gif

23-1.gif

24-1.gif

Beautiful. From exterior looks like my twin.

I am leaning toward Roush or Vortech.

kevinp

Established Member
Beautiful. From exterior looks like my twin.

I am leaning toward Roush or Vortech.

Mine is a base with no options though ;)

Heavy car/small engine I decided to go PD blower, so far I'm glad I did. Vortech makes some nice kits as well, I kind of like the black one. One cool thing about this (or not cool depending on your perspective) is its completely silent. Even at WOT all you hear is the intake and exhaust.

I'm not really partial to any brand, any of them increase the fun factor quite a bit. I dont think there is a 'bad' kit out there for these, I would take any one of them.

Terminator_NJ

Established Member
Mine is a base with no options though ;)

Heavy car/small engine I decided to go PD blower, so far I'm glad I did. Vortech makes some nice kits as well, I kind of like the black one. One cool thing about this (or not cool depending on your perspective) is its completely silent. Even at WOT all you hear is the intake and exhaust.

I'm not really partial to any brand, any of them increase the fun factor quite a bit. I dont think there is a 'bad' kit out there for these, I would take any one of them.

Really. the Roush makes no supercharger whine when you're on it?

This is a Roush kit on a 2010 540RH
[youtube_browser]VXpZquNpBMQ[/youtube_browser]

kevinp

Established Member
Really. the Roush makes no supercharger whine when you're on it?

This is a Roush kit on a 2010 540RH
[youtube_browser]VXpZquNpBMQ[/youtube_browser]

Nothing that I can hear at all in the car, windows up or down, only a little bit at part throttle when the bypass is open but you have to really listen for it. That car in the vid sounds like my 2010 GT500 with the intake resonator off. You might hear this one some outside the car, I'll find out when I take some vids at the track. But on the highway with a retaining wall right next to me and the window down I dont hear it all when I nail it.

If you look at the videos from VMP's car the first few you cant hear it much, but the last couple you can. I would guess they switched to an open element intake, smaller pulley or combination of both. Maybe thats Roush kit in the video uses an open element intake.

Here is the vid of VMP's car when they first had it out, you can just barely hear the blower if you listen for it:

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AMWMfszW9g&feature=related"]YouTube - First Roush-Charged 5.0 Mustang at the Drag Strip[/nomedia]

Last edited:

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
Nothing that I can hear at all in the car, windows up or down, only a little bit at part throttle when the bypass is open but you have to really listen for it. That car in the vid sounds like my 2010 GT500 with the intake resonator off. You might hear this one some outside the car, I'll find out when I take some vids at the track. But on the highway with a retaining wall right next to me and the window down I dont hear it all when I nail it.

If you look at the videos from VMP's car the first few you cant hear it much, but the last couple you can. I would guess they switched to an open element intake, smaller pulley or combination of both. Maybe thats Roush kit in the video uses an open element intake.

Here is the vid of VMP's car when they first had it out, you can just barely hear the blower if you listen for it:

YouTube - First Roush-Charged 5.0 Mustang at the Drag Strip

That is an old VMP video. Here is a more current one.
There is another one with a lower time that will be released soon.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxstkhmHl7c"]YouTube - 10.15 Pass by Rebecca Starkey in VMP Tuning's Roushcharged 2011 5.0 Mustang[/nomedia]

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
Hi there. You have driven the VMP Roush as well. so no supercharger whine in this application?

I drove it for a weekend.
It has some whine but not like a ported Terminator Eaton.
Of course the faster you spin it the the louder it whines.

RebeccaS

Established Member
I hope you are enjoying your blower!

Just a smaller pulley, still on the stock airbox. The whine is negligible, at most.

Terminator_NJ

Established Member
I hope you are enjoying your blower!

Just a smaller pulley, still on the stock airbox. The whine is negligible, at most.

Thanks Rebecca. I have only heard great things about both Roush and Vortech kits for the 5.0. Making a choice is very difficult.

Is the vmp team racing at the Spring Shootout in MD March 28? I am hoping to see various setups in person.

Users who are viewing this thread