Roushcharger arrived today

kevinp

Established Member
Thanks to Justin at VMP for getting this to me fairly quick, I have to say this is a pretty impressive kit. Roush really went out of their way to make this as OE looking, and OE quality, right down to a belt routing and vacuum diagram stickers for under the hood.

All the IC hoses are molded and covered, they include a nice bracket for the heat exchanger and pump, nice wire harness extensions, all the PCV, vent and evap hoses are factory plastic type. Even different seals to seal the radiator back to the core support.

Easy to see why this costs what it does, like anyone else I wish it was cheaper but this is a really nice setup.

I'll start on it tomorrow and should be done by the weekend. I'd take some install pics but there is already a nice article on it online with some nicer pics then I can take..

So far this is how it looks :)

IMG_0169.gif

kevinp

Established Member
very nice... plz post pics when the install is complete.

Sure will, after going through the manual its not a simple install but it will give me something to do for a few days. Just have to get the front end in the air to get started.

kevinp

Established Member
I was just going to drain the radiator and pull the bumper today but I went a little further. These come apart pretty easy, only casualty so far was the elbow on the brake booster, the engineer who came up with the double attached spring clamp holding the vacuum hose on really needs a kick in a balls for designing that thing.

Going to do the grinding tomorrow morning on the timing cover then the only PITA parts is repinning the harness extensions. Not that its really that hard, just tedious.

Here is a pic of where I am at now:

11.gif

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
Thanks to Justin at VMP for getting this to me fairly quick, I have to say this is a pretty impressive kit. Roush really went out of their way to make this as OE looking, and OE quality, right down to a belt routing and vacuum diagram stickers for under the hood.

All the IC hoses are molded and covered, they include a nice bracket for the heat exchanger and pump, nice wire harness extensions, all the PCV, vent and evap hoses are factory plastic type. Even different seals to seal the radiator back to the core support.

Easy to see why this costs what it does, like anyone else I wish it was cheaper but this is a really nice setup.

I'll start on it tomorrow and should be done by the weekend. I'd take some install pics but there is already a nice article on it online with some nicer pics then I can take..

So far this is how it looks :)

IMG_0169.gif

Congratulations!!
You will love your car with the Roushcharger kit.
I had Rebeccas car for a weekend a while back.
Simply amazing!!!:rockon::rockon:

kevinp

Established Member
Did you go with VMP tune or the standard Roush tune? Subscribed as the Roush kit is my #1 on my list.

I'm getting a VMP tune, I have an auto so Roush doesnt offer a tune.

Spent about 8 hours on it today, about 80% done, I post a couple thoughts so far:

Everything is very high quality, instructions are very good as well. I ddint use their order to do things but if you follow them its hard to screw up.

On a 1-10 dificulty scale, 10 being the hardest, I would give this about a 6. Keep in mind I have been doing stuff like this for over 30 years and have a decent selection of tools.

As far as tools, besides a decent 3/8 torque wrench you will need a 4" angle grinder for the timing cover clearance. Its a messy job, I covered the car with a plastic tarp, and taped off the engine tight. There will be a crapload of aluminum dust so make sure to cover every open hose, water line etc.

You have to re-pin a few harnesses, I have a set of release tools for Delphi metripacks and none worked. For 6K Roush should include the right tool, they cost about 6.00 so it wont break the bank. Its not something you can go and buy quick local, otherwise it wouldnt be a big deal. I used the old jewelers screwdriver, the right tool would have saved an hour.

I have an auto and Ford uses a different check valve for the brake booster then cars have used for the last 60 or so years, manual trans cars use the regular style check valve on the booster. Thats what the extra hose going to the intake tube is for. I havent been able to find out why Ford does it this way on an auto trans, my only guess would be to purge moisture from the line since a manual pulls a lot more vacuum on decell maybe its not needed. Anyhow, I just put a check valve on the booster from a manual trans car, the fitting on the booster of an auto car is just a 90 degree fitting and the check valve is up front. Not an issue with a manual trans car.

Also had to remove the bracket from the trans cooling lines on the shroud and make a new one, not an issue with a manual trans car.

Other than that everything is pretty straight forward, no parts missing and everything was well packaged.

Should be driving it tomorrow afternoon if I get the tune..

Few pics:

r1.gif

r2.gif

r3.gif

Users who are viewing this thread